Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Slowtwitch Coaching Workshop & Certification: Why?
Quote | Reply
Coaching certification has been the obvious tactical play for us, for years. I've always resisted it because it seemed to me that USAT filled that void (which it does). Now Ironman is filling it (or overfilling it). In any case, yes, we teach bike fitters and I think we have a pretty good track record of generating a world-leading fit protocol and curriculum that sets, in broad strokes, a standard that other fit schools use as a template.

But our fit workshops are WORKSHOPS, that is, you spend very little time sitting for a lecture, and a lot of time up, on your feet, fitting. It has always been important to me that the fitters we train not be tied to or lured by the gravity of a brand that has a separate agenda. If a class is put on by a company that has as its main revenue stream a tool or a bike to sell the fit protocol will bend toward that tool or bike, corrupting the output. My goal was (and remains) to teach fitters the art of fitting, and equip them with the knowledge of how to use any of a set of conforming tools and software

Nobody else does that. We - F.I.S.T. - are unique in that.

What would make us unique in coaching certifications and instruction? As I watched the triathlon coaching industry grow up from its start, roughly 25 years ago, it seemed to me a lot of coaches were very well schooled in HR zones, periodization, nutrition and so forth. These coaches have become very good at planning your seasons, your schedules, your workouts, and monitoring your progress.

What they are not - and I'm just speaking in the aggregate, as a group, as an industry - very good at is telling you how to properly swim, bike or run. Should you ride up a hill in your aero position, out of the saddle, or hands on the pursuits? If the latter, where ought your pursuits be in space to grant you a proper position? How do you descend fast yet safely? Do you know what late apex means? Do you know what causes speed wobble and how to inoculate against it? What tires do you recommend for your athletes and why? What is the appropriate cadence for a particular athlete for a particular race, and what gearing grants that cadence? Do you know the basics of how a bike ought to fit? What are the best product strategies for executing the nutrition plan, in terms of front, rear and frame hydration and storage? Can you instruct your client on how to change a tire; what sealant to use in a butyl or latex tube; what valve stem lengths are appropriate for the various race wheels a rider might own?

Pardon, I sound like I wrote the 39th chapter of Job: "Do you know when the mountain goats give birth? Do you watch when the doe bears her fawn? Who let the wild donkey go free?"

I think a lot of coaches would feel more equipped if they could answer these questions with confidence. Likewise, how to fix stroke problems in the swim. The techniques and pathways used to teach these skills to adult-onset swimmers, which are different skills than those used to teach kids.
Are coaches equipped to help you with your swim strategy? Where to line up? How to draft in the swim? The etiquette of drafting in the water? How to sight, to swim in straight line, to swim safely in a mass start, to know how to choose the right goggles and anti-fog, how wetsuits ought to fit, how they should go on and come off, proper warm-up for the race, how wetsuits change and ought to change your stroke versus no-wetsuit swimming.

This is the practical side of triathlon and it's the practical side of coaching. We have video now. It's easy to take video selfies. Coaches have the capacity to practically coach virtually, if that makes sense. Once you start sending your coach videos of you aboard your bike on a trainer, or of you swimming, or running, or GoPro/Sony videos of you climbing/descending on the bike, is the coach prepared to extend his or her instruction to include technique instruction?

This is the only kind of coaching program I'm interested in. We do not, will not, are not interested in, teaching coaches how to plan workouts. We don't want to teach the ABCs of physiology. Not that it's not important, just that there are a number of places to go for this already.

Our coaching workshops are merit badge style. We bite off a silo of the sport, and specifically teach that. Such as how to teach proper comportment aboard the bike: climbing, descending, pedal stroke, cadence, gearing, basic fit, and so forth. Our first workshop will take place at the Interbike Trade Show, at the Mandalay Convention Center, for the very specific reason that this workshop - how to coach using power as the performance metric - grants us the ability to take coaches to the convention floor, exhibit to exhibit, and hear from every maker of power meters the specifics of why and how his power meter works. Why do we have this Interbike privilege? I'm heading up Interibike's Fit Symposium and I suppose Interbike took this opportunity to pay this in return. In any case, it's a terrific opportunity for coaches.

Pardon the long way 'round. My interest in this is not because we could; or because we have a constituency; or that it's another way to extend our brand reach. I think there's a hole in the industry; it ought to be filled; I don't see anyone filling it; I had an opportunity to leverage some very talented people into a merit badge I think triathletes will value.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Coaching Workshop & Certification: Why? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan, this sound like a great and well needed program. I see so many coaches that really are lost with many of the topics you brought up. As a 30+ year tri veteran and someone who has had some incredible coaches, I have seen the trends and fads, and wonder why many are still drawn there. As many of the intricacies of the sport are totally individual, we must evaluate each person on their own strengths, weaknesses, flexibility, ability, time, etc. Thanks for starting this program.....I just wish I was able to pay the way to attend. Good luck, and hopefully we can make the path to success in tri a lot more easy and streamlined for the upcoming athletes.

Gary

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Coaching Workshop & Certification: Why? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan, many of us grew up in other sports with hands on coaches. Coaches on the deck, at the track, riding with us, showing us how tackle, block, catch, or hit the tennis ball.

What is generally missing is that hands on coaching in triathlon. I think you even alluded to it in the past by saying something along the lines of "between youtube and the internet, you can literally be on deck with the athletes 1000 miles away". And maybe there is a small truth to this, but I THINK what you are getting at is the traditional skills of a coach who knows the craft of the sport beyond the physiology and workout prescribing. I just came off 14 year of hands on coaching youth XC skiing, and I can't imagine teens learning our sport without hands on coaches (thankfully, our region has a bunch of pretty strong superstar hands on coaches.

It is great that you are doing this, and I would welcome organizing an ST certification session/workshop in my region. I'll just make sure we have on about Jan 23rd which should pretty well be the coldest day of the year....but then the riding stuff will end up on trainer or rollers :-(

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Coaching Workshop & Certification: Why? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
F.I.S.T. workshops usually take place only here, on the compound. it's not that we want to force everyone to travel, it's that if you're going to show people how Purely Custom, GURU, and other fit bikes function, how they're alike and how they differ, with the goal of equipping every fitter to work any conforming tool, then you cannot economically truck all these fit bikes and associated tools from location to location, not to mention that these tools often don't travel well.

what we're talking about here is different. we're going to hold these workshops in facilities and locales convenient for coaches, and that are appropriate for the mission. this first workshop is unique, because all the coaches get to see, in person, all the power meters, and associated software, all the people tasked to explain these systems, usually mounted on trainers, with head units, which you can ride if you want, so that our coaches can discover the differences. very quickly coaches can get their arms around all the relevant systems and meters.

but run, swim, bike workshops? a lot more geographic flexibility in these.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you could have two levels for these hands on coaching....the entry level could be like we have in Canada across sports called "Community Coaching" and then you have the more advanced levels after that. Your advanced levels could weave in all the gadgetry and physiology and all that stuff, but the type of stuff that our track coaches did at the track with a whistle and clip board is still missing. Simple things like designing a group training session on the bike with 2:00 olympic tri athletes and 2:45 athletes and keeping it all together and having people regroup after intervals to their own abilities etc etc. There are a lot of fundamentals associated with running "live training sessions" that paper coaches just don't get and this is a useful void to fill.
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Coaching Workshop & Certification: Why? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
above my grade. i'm not the instructor. i know what i'm good at and what i'm not good at. i could've been the instructor in 1990. not now.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Such as how to teach proper comportment aboard the bike: climbing, descending, pedal stroke, cadence, gearing, basic fit, and so forth.

I read all of that and my takeaway is simply that this word does not get used enough. Well done.
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Coaching Workshop & Certification: Why? [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug. -Twain

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i think your article highlights the fact that those days very few people understand the difference between prescription and coaching.
So i think your idea is good to focus on coaching.
At the same time i think overall as a sport we should focus more on apprentishipps with proven coaches than workshops but still I think your idea is solid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev,

The Bike Skills clinic that we're designing is one that holds my greatest interest and you're touching on it here. There's so much for an athlete to gain on a grass field, in a parking lot with little more than a dozen cones, cardboard box and some knick-knacks. Those are the skills, games, tricks that coaches can take back to their individuals and groups change lives. That one and the swim - with time on deck working with actually swimmers are real and common issues. There's so much value there.

This first gig in Vegas at Interbike is perhaps extra special just because of the show access and the scheduled times in each power booth. For so many of us it is the kid in the candy store.

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Meh

maybe for coaches with little hands on experience it's worth it.

IDK though, I don't really see it catching on. Hope I'm wrong.

I fail to see the answer to the question of (specifically to me) what's in it for me?

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Aug 18, 15 15:57
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Coaching Workshop & Certification: Why? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The ST endorsement sticker. It's like the m-dot logo.

You, personally, don't need it, but for lesser known people it would be like "I have been educated by all of the knowledge on ST!" because we have everything figured out here

(I'm not making fun, Dan - I'm really not) but if there are different workshops and modules, there could be different logos/badges... like Girl Guides!

edited to fix spelling

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: tigerchik: Aug 19, 15 2:59
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Coaching Workshop & Certification: Why? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i have had this discussion with a few coaches. i don't think any coach should to go any of our workshops unless there's a body of information we have that they lack on which we're presenting. mind, i'm not the instructor. we don't have 3 instructors traveling around doing all the teaching. i guess my question is, if you weren't completely up to speed on training with power, would you like to spend 2 days with every power meter maker in the industry explaining how their meters work, and the software companies explaining how all the files are uploaded and workouts displayed, and andy coggan (or similar) explaining you you coach using power?

same thing with the swim. are you very proficient on the pool deck? if so, don't attend. if you're not sure you know everything there is to know about teaching adults from the pool deck, would 2 days spent learning under (the late) doug stern, or gerry rodrigues, or gary hall sr. deliver value?

now, none of the folks mentioned are our instructors. but that's the level of competence we'll provide, or aspire to provide. i promise you that were i to spend 2 days with andy coggan or his equal i would be much, much better equipped as a coach. likewise gerry rodrigues. i don't care you who are, if you don't think 2 days of instruction from gerry rodrigues would help you be a better coach, then there is something going on that i wouldn't know how to address.

the goal we have, that i have, is to make sure that the instructor, and the curriculum, and the post-workshop testing, is at that level, so that everyone walks away enriched with knowledge he or she doesn't have.

still, there will be plenty of coaches who shouldn't attend any of our workshops. just, i've been around the sport a long time, and i've aggregated a lot of knowledge just through osmosis and tenure and hanging around and spending every day learning, researching, equipping myself, and i will attend, as a student, most of our workshops because each of our instructors will have a body of knowledge i lack.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev

Not sure if you have done them but the Canadian coaching badges (at least the one's put on by TRIBC) are a complete and utter waste of time utilized to fulfill an insurance requirement by TRIBC for the clubs. By saying waste of time I am being extremely polite. What slowtwitch is offering to fill is of significant use imo
Last edited by: Zulu: Aug 18, 15 19:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is awesome. More smart coaches, cool.

Downside to this is the selection bias. The people who really need ST approved coaches - don't know ST exists. So they will not know to seek out a ST approved coach.

The people that already read this site? I think they have SOME idea of what it means to train by power, and if they got a coach that said they were going to do all bike training by speed - they would self select a new coach.

How do we get the non-ST people to know what to look for?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been getting some PMs asking who's presenting at the first Slowtwitch Coaching event in Las Vegas, the Cycling Power Seminar. I didn't want to respond 'till we had 'em locked. I think I'll have them all confirmed before Friday. But the first confirmation is...

Jim Vance.
  • Elite Coach, TrainingBible Coaching
  • USAT L2, Youth & Junior
  • Author of the soon to be released Triathlon 2.0: Date Driven Performance Training (Human Kinetics)
  • Co-Editor of Triathlon Science (with Joe Friel)
  • Head Coach of Formula Endurance, USAT High Performance Team and USA Swimming Team

Jim was chosen on the same merits that all of our Slowtwitch Coaches will be chosen - he's a expert in the field (this field being power based coaching) and he's teacher. There are going to be some GREAT coaches in the room who have tons of fantastic skills but don't much about power - I've insisted that Jim come prepared to include those who know very little (nothing?) and to let his presentation climb on a steep trajectory so that the power savvy coaches in the room will be challenge early and often.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And, now the father of it all is confirmed as one of our presenters at Slowtwitch Coaching's Cycling Power in Vegas.

Hunter Allen
  • Co-founder TrainingPeaks
  • Founder of WKO+
  • Coauthor of Training & Racing With A Power Meter
  • Coauthor of Cutting-Edge Cycling.

Widely known as one of the top experts in the world in coaching endurance athletes using power meters, Hunter Allen’s perfect to teach coaches how to maximize their athletes training and racing potential with analysis of power data.

Register by clicking HERE

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Coaching Workshop & Certification: Why? [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
some of the folks who are signed up are asking me about the morning rides i always do in red rock canyon before the interbike show starts, and where i say (i stay in a condo complex not far from the start of the red rock loop). if anybody wants any info on this let me know. looks like there'll be a group of us going out every morning before whatever it is we're doing (interbike show, training with power workshop, interbike fit symposium, etc.).

in fact, while i can't promise this, if any of you who are taking the cycling power workshop want to attend the fit symposium, which will take place both tue afternoon and again fri morning, let me know. i'll see if there's a way i can get you in.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Confirming our final presenter at the Slowtwitch Coaching Power Clinic in Vegas on Sept 16 &17. Dirk Friel will be presenting....Dirk is a co-founder and President of TrainingPeaks. He started coaching cyclists in 1997 under the tutelage of his father, Joe Friel. Starting in 1999 he had the inspiration to build TrainingPeaks, a software platform that allows coaches to efficiently manage athlete training programs. Dirk lives in Boulder, CO where he races bikes, skis and enjoys the outdoors with his wife and daughter.

In addition to the presentations from me, Hunter Allen, Jim Vance, Dirk Friel all attendees will be given access to the Interbike show floor (kid - candy store) and I'll have all the power related booth visits locked up shortly so I'll be back with those as well.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Coaching Workshop & Certification: Why? [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan, Great coaching concept. This would be the equal to a PGA Teaching Professional teaching people how to select the right equipment, fitting, learning course management, shaping shots how to self correct during course of a round of golf using keys. It is giving the coach the ability to use experiences as teaching tools. As some one who has done triathlons for over 33 years and a runner for over 45 and a coach myself we use past success and failures to teach. Things like drinking and eating strategy on the bike during a hilly or windy course where hands are usually fastened to the bars. Even the most experienced athletes can forget that in the heat of action, finding if at all possible sighting options in the swim to align with buoys. Even things like selecting right clothing options are valuable tools learned from experience.You and the presenters have plenty of practical experience that can help aide the next generations of athletes.

Unfortunately I will not be at Interbike but look forward to possibly attending somewhere down the road.

futrmultisport.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i have had this discussion with a few coaches. i don't think any coach should to go any of our workshops unless there's a body of information we have that they lack on which we're presenting. mind, i'm not the instructor. we don't have 3 instructors traveling around doing all the teaching. i guess my question is, if you weren't completely up to speed on training with power, would you like to spend 2 days with every power meter maker in the industry explaining how their meters work, and the software companies explaining how all the files are uploaded and workouts displayed, and andy coggan (or similar) explaining you you coach using power?

same thing with the swim. are you very proficient on the pool deck? if so, don't attend. if you're not sure you know everything there is to know about teaching adults from the pool deck, would 2 days spent learning under (the late) doug stern, or gerry rodrigues, or gary hall sr. deliver value?

now, none of the folks mentioned are our instructors. but that's the level of competence we'll provide, or aspire to provide. i promise you that were i to spend 2 days with andy coggan or his equal i would be much, much better equipped as a coach. likewise gerry rodrigues. i don't care you who are, if you don't think 2 days of instruction from gerry rodrigues would help you be a better coach, then there is something going on that i wouldn't know how to address.

the goal we have, that i have, is to make sure that the instructor, and the curriculum, and the post-workshop testing, is at that level, so that everyone walks away enriched with knowledge he or she doesn't have.

still, there will be plenty of coaches who shouldn't attend any of our workshops. just, i've been around the sport a long time, and i've aggregated a lot of knowledge just through osmosis and tenure and hanging around and spending every day learning, researching, equipping myself, and i will attend, as a student, most of our workshops because each of our instructors will have a body of knowledge i lack.

Yes, and yes.
I think I'm your target market: A moderately experienced coach who wants to up his/her game by learning from some of the best. Using your two examples, I'm OK on power, but don't necessarily know the quirks that athletes are likely to experience with the different models on the market. I've worked as an assistant swim coach for a high school team under decent coaches, but would love the opportunity to learn from the likes of Gary Hall, Sr.

Another consideration is working with the NGB's who certify coaches to ensure that CEU's are earned by completing your workshops.

USAT Lvl1 Coach, NSCA-CPT, NASM-CPT, BS Exercise Science
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Coaching Workshop & Certification: Why? [TriMyBest] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Another consideration is working with the NGB's who certify coaches to ensure that CEU's are earned by completing your workshops. "

we're trying to do exactly that now. bear in mind that we don't offer any general classes. we don't offer, "so you want to be a tri coach 101." we specifically do NOT want to offer this because there are certain things the NF wants to do, feels it should do, is doing, and we would rather complement than compete with that. we have specifically engineered a curriculum and course offerings that complement rather than compete with the kinds of course USAT, Ironman, et al, produce.

however, some organizations nevertheless see us as a threat. we are doing our level best to allay their concerns, and our ability to do that is partly our own responsibility; and partly the responsibility of the
organization to have an open mind, to look at our (my) track record and decide whether i typically compete with or attempt to work alongside the organization, to make sure that it doesn't harbor and foster a bunker mentality.

it's not just NF
s, but industry that often falls prey to Not Invented Here. i don't know how this will end up. i'm going to work with anyone who wants to work with us. i'll hug anybody back who wants to hug me. i just know that the general overview classes, and classes on how to coach remotely, that's not our metier. what we want to offer are tactile, mechanical, hands-on, technical skill-based. bite-sized, specific task-oriented workshops. we're doing this because triathlon coaching is 25 years old as an industry and nobody's done it. at a certain point you say i'm done waiting, i'm going to take this on as a prime mission.

some coaching organizations are going to meet us, greet us, welcome us, and invite is in as a complementary adjunct to their efforts. others are going to be suspicious of us. at a certain point i'm going to get the message. you don't have to knock me over the head. those organizations that welcome us, and who we feel offer sound basic instruction, those are the orgs with whom we'll partner. and we will partner, because we are going to specifically avoid teaching general overview courses.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And we got 10 USAT Ceu's!!! Thank You to Ian and Loryn. That is crazy good when you consider the recent amount offered for Ironman Coaching cert. Well done all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
F.I.S.T. sounds like a supervillian organization. At least you have that going for you!
Quote Reply
Re: Slowtwitch Coaching Workshop & Certification: Why? [KaiserChief] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Best 10 CEU's I have ever received.
Bring on the Swim Certification in March!

Eric Doehrman
E3 Multisport
Quote Reply

Prev Next