Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Slowman: High School poll
Quote | Reply
For the sports listed, what level of program were you envisioning? I was on my HS swim team, but it was in no way a swim program as most swimmers would imagine. Five days per week, ~2500 yards per practice, no two-a-days, no dryland, no off season training. Really it was 'doing some swimming and then going to meets and losing'. You want me to click 'Swam' or not?

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Last edited by: CCF: Mar 13, 17 15:00
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman: High School poll [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I played club hockey and a lot of video games, but mostly smoked dope, so i checked the smoked dope box.
Last edited by: TriowaCPA: Mar 13, 17 15:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about more options and being able to select multiple options.

I did a lot of surfing in High School played team sports and...

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about cycling and triathlon? That seems to be a glaring omission to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman: High School poll [TriowaCPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same. Glad I'm not the only one on here!
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman: High School poll [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not to anyone in particular, so don't anyone in particular take this personally...! but...

this is the exact poll, word for word, that we ran in 2012. if you were here 5 years ago you just clicked a radio button, and then you went off and trained. today, it's bitching about the wording of the poll in place of training.

the poll is as it is because i can't compare it to historic answers you gave if i change the text to include rhythmic pingpong and all the other sports i have to include in the poll so as to inoculate me against microaggressing you.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman: High School poll [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But golf isn't a team sport and I didn't study or smoke dope...
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman: High School poll [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i believe golf is too a team sport. in high school and college. but i take your point.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
technically, sure...i'll agree that it is a team sport...but not in the way i think the poll really MEANS. if i click "team sport" i'll be suggesting that i'm a soccer, basketball, baseball...etc background. it'd SKEW THE DATA?! gasp horror.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
not to anyone in particular, so don't anyone in particular take this personally...! but...

this is the exact poll, word for word, that we ran in 2012. if you were here 5 years ago you just clicked a radio button, and then you went off and trained. today, it's bitching about the wording of the poll in place of training.

lmao.

The indirect benefits of polling across time.

just your average age grouper . no one special . no scientific knowledge . just having fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would allowing multiple choice skew results?

My "main" hs sport was rowing—a team sport; I swam because I wanted another sport in the winter, and I was good enough at it, etc.

I'm gonna take a guess that I'm not the only one in your survey group who was on a few different varsity sports teams in hs, etc.

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Last edited by: philly1x: Mar 13, 17 16:18
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman: High School poll [philly1x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Would allowing multiple choice skew results?"

any way that i change the poll will reduce whatever value it has for those of you who are interested in how the answers have changed across time. you either get exactly the poll you want now, or you accept the poll with the flaws that you did not bitch about 5 years ago so that you can see the changes over time. that's your binary choice here.

as for binary choices and other kinds of choices, the way this poll is built, you click one button. it's not a survey. it's a poll. when we do surveys we send you off to survey monkey and the survey is a survey. this is a poll and tomorrow the horror of this poll will be over (only to be replaced with another nightmare of a poll tomorrow).

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman: High School poll [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What about cycling and triathlon?
---

Since when is cycling and triathlon a thing amongst HSers? You should probably click the dope option :-)

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CCF wrote:
For the sports listed, what level of program were you envisioning? I was on my HS swim team, but it was in no way a swim program as most swimmers would imagine. Five days per week, ~2500 yards per practice, no two-a-days, no dryland, no off season training. Really it was 'doing some swimming and then going to meets and losing'. You want me to click 'Swam' or not?

I swam a bit in high school too but no training squads or anything overly organised.

I picked the smoking dope option even though i didn't smoke, I mostly played xbox and playstation and the odd swim club event.
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman: High School poll [TriguyBlue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriguyBlue wrote:
I swam a bit in high school too but no training squads or anything overly organised.

I picked the smoking dope option even though i didn't smoke, I mostly played xbox and playstation and the odd swim club event.

It's hilarious that XBox and Playstation existed when you were in high school.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, five years after your first poll on HS sports, your visitors are interested in more valid measurement instruments while at the same time ST has appeared to position itself more aggressively as a source of market data for the triathlon industry. Isnt' that a win-win?Personally, I see the feedback with regard to your survey design in line with feedback in the thousands of threads on aerodynamic testing methods. You have sophisticated visitors with an interest in psychometrics. Your comment regarding the need for the same survey used five years ago is a valid response; I just don't get why you assume your visitors are training less and have been micro-agressed torwards; a strange, politicized response that smells of complaints of a PC culture, when most often that PC is really critical thinking on the tail end of long stretches of time void of critical thought....

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was joking. I played baseball and football, surfed and skated. There was this even way back to the late 70s and early 80s when I was in High School but the schools in North Orange county did not participate. http://www.nssa.org/

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: Slowman: High School poll [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of all the polls lately, this one has the most glaring omission...."chasing girls"
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman: High School poll [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I see the feedback with regard to your survey design in line with feedback in the thousands of threads on aerodynamic testing methods."

this is not a survey. this is a flash poll.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman: High School poll [CBJFan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Of all the polls lately, this one has the most glaring omission...."chasing girls""

smoking dope and team sports are each subfolders under the chasing girls mainheading.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How does one find the poll on their phone? I always miss these things.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman: High School poll [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scroll down a bit.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My question should have been, How do I get to the front page w/o starting over typing in the URL, but I got it - click the blue round icon THEN scroll to the bottom. ;-)

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman: High School poll [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you won't find it on the front page. go to the main triathlon forum page, scroll maybe 2/3 of the way down the page, you should see it.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Slowman: High School poll [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
But golf isn't a team sport and I didn't study or smoke dope...

If you think golf is a sport you must be smoking A LOT of dope. It's a "skill game", just like pool and the World Series of Poker.
Quote Reply

Prev Next