Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Slow swimmer brag!
Quote | Reply
I have been studying/ watching youtube videos for weeks trying to improve my pull. Watched a bunch on the high elbow and finally got everything working smoothly today. I'm normally a 2:00/100yard swimmer, today i kept 1:40/100yard average over 1000 yards and felt like i was doing less work then before too. Im super excited, i've been trying to break down past two minutes for over a year.

1:30 here i come!
Quote Reply
Re: Slow swimmer brag! [seiken] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats! Can you share which videos helped the most?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
breakthrough's are really nice!!

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep the fires stoked! New plateaus are a blast enjoy them while they come fast and furious. Don't get discouraged if you don't keep taking :20 second chunks. At some point they go to :10, then the next big hurdle might be shaving :03 off that batch of 100's. Then it's maddening sometimes.....tens of thousands of yards to grab a half second. Enjoy the madness glad you have the bug!
Quote Reply
Re: Slow swimmer brag! [dcruz831] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcruz831 wrote:
Congrats! Can you share which videos helped the most?

This please. I, too am making gains in my speed but have hit a plateau.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
seiken wrote:
I have been studying/ watching youtube videos for weeks trying to improve my pull. Watched a bunch on the high elbow and finally got everything working smoothly today. I'm normally a 2:00/100yard swimmer, today i kept 1:40/100yard average over 1000 yards and felt like i was doing less work then before too. Im super excited, i've been trying to break down past two minutes for over a year.

1:30 here i come!

You are now officially banished from the slow swimmer club and forfeit all rights and privledges. I'll expect you to turn in your jacket by the end of the day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a pretty spectacular improvement in what sounds like a relatively short period of time. For me, it's proven way harder to go from 1:40 to 1:30 than it was to go from 2:00-1:40. But maybe you'll be different as I've also got age working against me (didn't start swimming seriously until age 57). Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Slow swimmer brag! [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tttiltheend wrote:
That's a pretty spectacular improvement in what sounds like a relatively short period of time. For me, it's proven way harder to go from 1:40 to 1:30 than it was to go from 2:00-1:40. But maybe you'll be different as I've also got age working against me (didn't start swimming seriously until age 57). Good luck!

It gets harder and harder to shave time off as it requires more and more power to eek out that next second.
Quote Reply
Re: Slow swimmer brag! [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tttiltheend wrote:

Ive been stuck at 2:00......could you share how you got to 1:40?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
April fools?

mikebikefit.com
Facebook: Cordova Bicycle Fitting
F.I.S.T Certified
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn it, I thought this was going to be a "How slow can you go?" brag.

I get to about 2:30 for 100m IM. Probably a bit more if I totally crap up the backstroke turn which is fairly often.

I might just start another thread...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats, Seiken! Really stoked for you - no doubt you'll be hitting 1:30/100yds shortly!
Quote Reply
Re: Slow swimmer brag! [mc.cycles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mc.cycles wrote:
April fools?

Maybe, but if so he jumped the gun. And 1:40 is hardly fast so it would be a bit of a lame joke.
Quote Reply
Re: Slow swimmer brag! [alcam24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alcam24 wrote:
Ive been stuck at 2:00......could you share how you got to 1:40?

Just made sure to swim three times a week (sometimes 4 but usually 3) almost every week of the year and worked hard pretty much every workout, always doing some intervals and not just steady swimming. When I started I had only a rudimentary freestyle stroke and probably hadn't swum more than a few hundred yards in a pool in my entire life. But I was comfortable in the water, had played in the waves for years, and had even done a little bit of open water swimming using breaststroke. It also helps that my wife is a former competitive swimmer so I had an example to follow and a yardstick to measure myself by. I did take an 8-session technique class and have had video analysis done as well.

It depends on how you define 1:40, if that's a steady pace or 100 yard repeats, etc. It took me about a year and a half to go from 2:00 to 1:40, although almost half of that came in short order after the technique class. Last year I held 1:41 pace in my first Ironman swim using a wetsuit, and have improved a few seconds/100 since. Currently 1:40 pace (SCY) is an easy long set warm up pace, and I do 100 repeats from 1:28-1:34 depending on the number of repeats and amount of rest. Which isn't bad for 60-65 AG triathlete but in master's competition I'd be fighting hard to avoid last place judging on local masters results.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on your breakthrough!

I was stuck on a 2:00 pace for a long time, with my focus mostly just on doing an aerobic pace for sprint and Oly distance.

Got some help last year from my coach and attended a couple of clinics by Dr. Genadijus Sokolovas (aka "Dr. G"). Did a lot of work on technque refinement and drag reduction/efficiency. Swam lots of 50's and 100's to instill muscle memory and then gradually started increasing my stroke tempo while maintaining good form. Making the commitment to swim at least three times per week was also a big factor in reinforcing my technique improvements. A lot of it was also improving my mind-set and focus, rather than just logging laps.

I'm currently in the low-to-mid 1:40's for 100 repeats. Not there for race tri distances, but still consistently sub-2:00, so heading in the right direction. Keeps me in the MOP for my AG (M60-64) in local races.

Planning to enter some master's swim meets (50M & 100M free) later in the year as an incentive to keep working on my speed. No expectations fiom a competitiive standpoint, but want to see how low I can take my PR.

Mark
Quote Reply