Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Slightly damaged Hed Disc - opinions please
Quote | Reply
My LBS has a 50% sale on HED wheels.

They only have one disc left though and it has some slight damage to it (see pictures)

The 50% discount brings the price down to about $1,000/£600

I'm pretty certain it won't affect performance and I know someone who can do a cosmetic repair/airbrush the wheel for me.

The other option I have is to get a second hand Zipp Sub9 which someone is selling locally.

Any thoughts?

Quote Reply
Re: Slightly damaged Hed Disc - opinions please [gavdxb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
buy it. The center section of the HED disc is not structural. It is a cosmetic issue on one of the fastest wheels on the planet. Put a piece of packaging tape on it and forget it. If you are picky any moron with some carbon Fiber, epoxy, and masking tape can fix that blemish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The ding is purely cosmetic, so if you want the wheel get it.

I'm personally a fan of buying discs used. They are race-only wheels, so typically have very low mileage.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Slightly damaged Hed Disc - opinions please [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it does actually pierce the skin - does that make any difference. I understand it's not structural.

Unfortunately in Dubai second hand stuff is hard to come by.
Last edited by: gavdxb: Jul 2, 15 23:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope, as mentioned it's just a bonded on aero cover (not load bearing in any way).

Get some HED valve stickers and use one to cover it if the aesthetics bother you.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As said above, it's not going to affect you other than it's a little bit of an eye sore. Sounds like a good deal to me.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's what I would do… buy the disc (completely non structural, so doesn't impact performance or safety), then get a custom decal made to customize your disk (and it would cover the entire surface, so you would never see that ding). Alternatively, just cover up the ding with a piece of black electrical tape.

"Suddenly the thought struck me. My floor is someone elses ceiling"-Nils Ferlin
Quote Reply
Re: Slightly damaged Hed Disc - opinions please [audiojan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Went for it.

Quote Reply