Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Sleep Trackers
Quote | Reply
Who here uses a sleep tracker? What do you use? Is the data reliable? I have a Garmin 920xt that I could use but I really don't like sleeping with a bulky watch. Anyone use the Withings Aura system? I like that the Aura system takes my resting heart rate as I'd really like to see how it fluctuates based on training loads. Any other products I should look at?

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Sleep Trackers [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just got a 735XT that I have been wearing 24/7 for a few weeks. It is not as bulky as the 9xx watches, so it is OK as an everyday watch. I really like the sleep and HR data (including resting HR) that is giving me. But, I also have an Apple Watch that I enjoy, so I may go to dual-wrist with the AR on one arm and probably something like a Garmin vivosmart HR on the other arm.

As for accuracy, I think it is OK. But, it is way better than nothing at all. The 735XT seems to be very good on sleep hours. But, I think it is grabbing anomalous HR readings for resting HR. The watch itself has an awesome HR graph that shows the last 4 hours. I will truly miss this if I go back to the AW.

As a side note, the Apple Watch is a total piece of crap from an activity tracking and fitness tracking device. The hardware is great, but Apple has no software support for these functions. And, the battery life is insufficient for 24x7 and sleep tracking.
Quote Reply
Re: Sleep Trackers [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you able to get the sleep data from your Garmin 735 into training peaks at all? Or can you only view it on garmin connect?

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Who here uses a sleep tracker? What do you use? Is the data reliable? I have a Garmin 920xt that I could use but I really don't like sleeping with a bulky watch. Anyone use the Withings Aura system? I like that the Aura system takes my resting heart rate as I'd really like to see how it fluctuates based on training loads. Any other products I should look at?

how would you use your 920 to track sleep data? HR? if so, you don't need to wear it. Just put it on the nightstand. I haven't looked, but are there other capabilities that watch has for tracking sleep?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know. I have my Garmin stuff linked to TrianingPeaks, but I really do not use TP that much. I only have the free basic version, and I clicked around in TP... I cannot find any place it even displays sleep data.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I sleep with the Garmin 235 every night and love it. I find it does a really good job. The one hiccup I've noticed is if I do some reading before going to sleep. It will capture that as sleep time. I can manually edit the "start" time though the next morning to correct. No big deal since I don't read in bed very often.
Quote Reply
Re: Sleep Trackers [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I still have the 910xt, which is NOT a daily watch. So I got a FitBit Surge for daily wear. I only use it for trends, not exact data. When I first got it, I found I was sleeping only 6 1/2 hours. Behavior adjustment, and now I'm at 7 1/2. Same with water. To hit my Gallon/day, just knowing I'm gonna track it makes me more aware. Again, trends, not precision. HR accuracy, not so much. But if I've had an office day, and see I've only got 3k steps, that helps me get the dog out for an evening walk. Stuff like that.
Best day ever was a hike this summer to the top of Nevada Falls in Yosemite. 26k steps and 271 flights of stairs. Even if it was off by 10% it was still pretty cool.
That which gets measured, improves, or something like that.
I don't push it into TP. It's just more of an awareness thing for me. Hit 7-8 hours of sleep on average this week? Good enough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I wear my Garmin Fenix 3 24/7. It tracks sleep and activity during the day. I looked at the sleep stuff when I first got it, don't pay much attention to it now. I do use the activity/step tracking everyday, try to hit the goal that self adjusts based on my activity level from previous days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think this is just data overkill. If you can focus on getting 56 hours of sleep per week (lying down time start to finish daily added up over 7 days), this is all the macro data you really need. What people need is something to drive their behaviour towards treating sleep like a must do task (just like training) rather than something to be sacrificed. All the gadgets in the world are only useful if them help drive towards that macro goal of 2900-3000 hrs of sleep per year (I bet you never saw it referred to in that way, but that's what drives your general health in a positive aggregate direction). A year of sleep deprivation and you're getting sick all the time and training quality goes down and output at work goes down and your irritable around family and friends.
Quote Reply
Re: Sleep Trackers [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I think this is just data overkill. If you can focus on getting 56 hours of sleep per week (lying down time start to finish daily added up over 7 days), this is all the macro data you really need. What people need is something to drive their behaviour towards treating sleep like a must do task (just like training) rather than something to be sacrificed. All the gadgets in the world are only useful if them help drive towards that macro goal of 2900-3000 hrs of sleep per year (I bet you never saw it referred to in that way, but that's what drives your general health in a positive aggregate direction). A year of sleep deprivation and you're getting sick all the time and training quality goes down and output at work goes down and your irritable around family and friends.
I found it more interesting from the perspective of what happens during the night. Am I waking up a lot or having my sleep interrupted? If you have those problems, you can compare to "good" nights of sleep and figure out why those nights were different. That has helped improve my quality of sleep, at least.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a fitbit as we use it at work for corporate wellness. It has sleep tracking but so far all I can tell is that I sleep good some days and bad others for no apparent reason.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I was using a sleep tracker I was using Sleep Time on my Android phone

https://play.google.com/...io.android.sleeptime
Quote Reply
Re: Sleep Trackers [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

I agree with you in general.

I'm on a special assignment for work (been doing it since last September) where I commute a little over an hour each way to work. My sleep has definitely been sacrificed in order to get in my training. Fortunately, I do not feel like I have hit the sleep deprivation wall yet. I do feel like I'm riding a thin line more than ever so I wanted something to track my sleep that does all the counting for me and is quick to reference. I'd also like something that takes your resting HR while you are sleeping so I can compare day to day and week to week. The resting hr when you first get out of bed or throughout the day, is not really your resting hr. I just need something to tell me right away, hey.... you aren't getting enough sleep.... you are really tired. I'm one that will ignore the initial signs of sleep deprivation (years and years of waking up early for swim practice) and will just toughen it up until it's too late.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Sleep Trackers [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
d00d wrote:
stevej wrote:

how would you use your 920 to track sleep data? HR? if so, you don't need to wear it. Just put it on the nightstand. I haven't looked, but are there other capabilities that watch has for tracking sleep?

It's not off HR. You put it in sleep mode before you go to bed and take it out of sleep mode when you wake up. It will tell you how long you are in a deep slight, light sleep, etc. No idea how accurate it is but it does require you to wear it in bed.

blog
Last edited by: stevej: Jul 29, 16 10:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife has a fitbit charge HR and I have the same 920 you do. The data they spit out for sleep is nearly identical from what i have seen.

FWIW, I went from not wearing a watch for 3 years except when I ran, to wearing my 920 24/7. Took less time than I thought to get used to it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMO, we're probably 3-7 years away from an actually "useful" sleep tracker that is readily available for the public.

All of the watch types are pretty much guessing at best, some (without HR monitoring) are literally just waiting until you aren't moving. Things like the Withings Aura is a step up, but it is still pretty much guessing what stage of sleep you are in.

Basically, until you can check the brain waves, you don't know. You're guessing. Is there useful data in guessing... maybe... need somebody smarter than me to dig into that.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Sleep Trackers [leegoocrap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
leegoocrap wrote:
IMO, we're probably 3-7 years away from an actually "useful" sleep tracker that is readily available for the public.

All of the watch types are pretty much guessing at best, some (without HR monitoring) are literally just waiting until you aren't moving. Things like the Withings Aura is a step up, but it is still pretty much guessing what stage of sleep you are in.

Basically, until you can check the brain waves, you don't know. You're guessing. Is there useful data in guessing... maybe... need somebody smarter than me to dig into that.

By 3-7 years away, do you mean 3-7 years ago we had one? The Zeo came out years ago and did a high quality job using a head strap to get brain waves, but unfortunately they went out of business. The battery on my head unit died a couple years ago and it would take opening it up and soldering in a new battery to get it working again. Oh well, maybe 3-7 years in the future will recreate what we already had...
Quote Reply
Re: Sleep Trackers [jbank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sure, if you think the Zeo tracking eye movement is (was) sufficient...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you are mistaken about how Zeo worked. The unit I had was not using eye tracking. It was taking brain wave reading of the front lobe using EEG readings AFAIK.
Last edited by: jbank: Jul 29, 16 12:54
Quote Reply
Re: Sleep Trackers [jbank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You may be right, it has been a while since I looked at the zeo , I never saw a study showing more than 80% accuracy (which I believe was done in house) but multiples in the 70% range, which not adequate(for me) at the time. I agree they were definitely the closest I've seen. Were they bought out?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think they went under in 2012 or 2013. I believe someone bought up their IP, but they haven't produced anything similar using that IP. I bought mine after hearing a talk from a Cornell sleep researcher who was praising how good Zeo's were, not quite lab quality, but pretty close for a $200 consumer product. It would give reports showing how much deep sleep, REM sleep, etc. Pretty cool and pretty sad that nothing similar is currently available.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

I agree with you in general.

I'm on a special assignment for work (been doing it since last September) where I commute a little over an hour each way to work. My sleep has definitely been sacrificed in order to get in my training. Fortunately, I do not feel like I have hit the sleep deprivation wall yet. I do feel like I'm riding a thin line more than ever so I wanted something to track my sleep that does all the counting for me and is quick to reference. I'd also like something that takes your resting HR while you are sleeping so I can compare day to day and week to week. The resting hr when you first get out of bed or throughout the day, is not really your resting hr. I just need something to tell me right away, hey.... you aren't getting enough sleep.... you are really tired. I'm one that will ignore the initial signs of sleep deprivation (years and years of waking up early for swim practice) and will just toughen it up until it's too late.

I think all these tracker are putting you in the trees rather than looking at the health of the entire forest. One or a few trees does not matter at the micro level. What matters is the overall health of the forest. I am a bit dismissive of the tracking devices, because a century or more ago before widespread proliferation of artificial light, the average human slept a lot more. We're working against nature here in the western world and then we need all these devices to tell us what sunrise and sunset were already asking us to do naturally.

I have to travel quite a bit overseas for work typically on 6 to 12 hour jetlag for the last decade and have to perform in a high pressure environment at work overseas and on top of that i am trying to cram in training. Quality of individual nights or blocks of time in that night are less important than day over day "horizontal rest totals". I can tell you if you just had crappy sleep for four days but were sleeping for 36 hours, you'd be way better off than 4 days where your tracker says you had "good quality" sleep, but only had an aggragate of 24 hours. While I agree the brain needs rest, there is a finite amount of time that the organs need to just rebuild your body from daily stresses.

9 years ago I asked my athletes to start reporting their total sleep in their training log. I don't really care if they take rest days with no training and claim to be rested when they only had 40-45 hrs of sleep. The guy doing 20 hour training week and 56 hours sleep is likely going to be more rested than the guy doing 10 hours of training and 42 hours of sleep. The latter athlete is getting better workouts, more training, almost never getting sick and alert at work. I got the logs of all these guys and the sleeper crew really rip up the performances. I had athletes that I could not convince to track their sleep, but they were the ones missing most of the workouts, getting sick and having sub optimal performances.

Seriously you don't need a tracker, just sleep enough. If you can't sleep enough during the week ensure you catch up on weekends. That's what I have to do coming back from overseas travel, but even then I never catch up. 7-14 days later, the power/paces are all a bit lower until I catch back up and let me body rebuild.

Now I realize this is hard with young kids...really hard especially if the kids are not great sleepers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use an iphone app called sleep cycle. You sleep with your phone on the mattress next to your head, the app uses the phone's ability to detect movement and sound to infer how asleep you are. Every night it gives you a "quality" rating based on how much time you spend in a deep sleep cycle, plus overall time in bed. It also tracks data over time.

It's probably not perfect, but it's really cheap if you already have an iphone. For me the benefit has been the focus on managing and improving my sleep time and quality. Things like getting rid of light sources in my bedroom, keeping the temperature where I'm comfortable and don't wake up. My gf also uses a white noise device to drown out other sounds (we live in a city). Also, and this may be wishful thinking, but I really do feel more rested and focused when I'm doing "well" according to my sleep data.

Given how important sleep is for overall human performance, this is just an easy way for me to track mine and find ways to get more when I need to.
Quote Reply
Re: Sleep Trackers [vjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use Garmin Vivoactive HR which is not as bulky as the big Fenix or other running watches. It seems to track sleep pretty accurately and it does give you an idea of how much deep sleep you get versus light sleep. How it does that, I don't know. I find the information interesting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do use a Fitbit Charge and am very happy with it. Sync to the iphone app etc. works well. Main purpose is the monitoring of the resting heart rate and checking the amount of sleep (so I can react after a couple of days with not enough sleep). For times I get in trouble (high resting heart rates) I have the FirstBeat system to have a closer look.
Cheers
Roberto
Quote Reply

Prev Next