Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ski bend extensions greater than 50 degrees
Quote | Reply
Anyone know of any ski bend extensions with an angle greater than 50 degrees that would fit my p5 six? Trying to get to more of a praying mantis like position.
Quote Reply
Re: Ski bend extensions greater than 50 degrees [TPerry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also favor the "elbows behind shoulders, hands well above elbows, wrists relaxed and unbent" position. I searched for a while for the sharpest bend ski bend extensions I could find and wound up with the 3T short ski bend extensions. Right about 45* and the steepest I could find. If you find something steeper, without custom bending your own (which I considered), let me know.

Quote | Reply
I've had success by simply reversing a regular set of ski-bend extensions. A BTA might be tough to fit in though.

Quote Reply
Re: Ski bend extensions greater than 50 degrees [Jamaican] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which bars have you been able to do that with? I know some guys have the Use Tula in reverse but have had to modify and bore out the other end a little bit to accept the shifters. I've been looking for a while for a 25 degree set that can definitely be used in reverse, if I can get the upturn close enough to my extension clamps it will get me the position I want, I think. I'm also going to take a craft knife to my Cee Gees to sort of angle them upwards a little bit more in line with the extensions.

For the OP, I know that Wiggle do the Use Tula in 50 degrees, but that is the maximum. I do think you need to reverse some bars to get what you want. I also hear about folks buying some standard aluminium tubing and taking them to a local engineer.

Below is Matt Bottrill's bike (top UK TTer), which has Use Tula in reverse. Looks like a fairly shallow angle, maybe 25 or 30 degrees, but by putting the upturn near the clamps you get a big rise. I think as above he had to mod them to get the shifters to fit, or maybe to allow the original bar ends to fit through the clamps.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get some USE in either 20/30/40/50 Deg and install them in the opposite direction.

I have some 50Deg's and they are just a clean 22.2mm OD throughout so either end will fit the clamp hardware. The tube thickness remains the same throughout so the shifter will have no issue fitting in the 'wrong' end. However, most (or maybe all?) shifters run the cable external to the extension then returning through a hole in the outside of the extension. If you swap them round you will need to drill a hole or a slot in the 'wrong' end of the extension for the cable. This will be rather trivial but an easier endevor in the aluminium than the carbon.

So quick 'back of the fag packet stuff' if you swap take the 20/30/40/50 Deg extensions and swap them round then the rise and the reach (both from the bend) should roughly be as follows (although you will want to check this as I've just jotted some stuff down on the fly and the measurements are tape measure so not accurate) RISE/REACH (all mm) 20[86/235]; 30[125/217]; 40[161/192]; 50[192/161].

If you use the extensions as they are intended then the numbers look like this: RISE/REACH (all mm) 20[48/132]; 30[70/121]; 40[90/107]; 50[107/90].

Somewhere in that you should find your perfect combination! For actual reach remember to add the length of the extension (full length to ctr bend, approx 250mm long section/ 140mm short section) and you can also get a good deal more variation by cutting the extensions at various points.

Iain

Training Full Time in 2015: http://www.triopensource.com
http://www.facebook.com/iaingillamracing http://www.twitter.com/iaingillam
https://www.youtube.com/...9JYCrOLP34Qtgp5w1WsA

Quote Reply
Re: Ski bend extensions greater than 50 degrees [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did it with the Zipp Vuka Bottom Clip on a road bike. The Di2 TT Shifters fit without any issues.

Quote Reply
Re: Ski bend extensions greater than 50 degrees [Iain Gillam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or what Ian said, which was a much better answer than mine!

Thanks Ian, that info is helpful for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I made my own to work in my Ventus. You need the aluminum tubing and a way to bend it (I used a conduit bender)

This is the aluminum you need

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ski bend extensions greater than 50 degrees [leegoocrap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do the flat elbow pads feel right? I have always use the Lukas and tilted the pads up as well, but just got an IA and cannot do that.
Quote Reply
Re: Ski bend extensions greater than 50 degrees [jjh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I want them to be flat so my elbows are on a flat surface. If you prefer your pads further up towards your forearms that probably won't work out, but I've always rode with my elbows in the cups.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ski bend extensions greater than 50 degrees [j-hud] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vukas are 50. Do you tilt the elbow pads or leave them parallel to the ground?
Quote Reply
Re: Ski bend extensions greater than 50 degrees [jjh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always used clip-ons and tilted the whole thing so that my pads stayed parallel with my extensions. I always have the meaty part of my forearm on the pad, so I wasn't interested in keeping the pads level because I would just be hitting the back edge. I was looking for the sharp angle to get my wrists in a comfortable position, not as the mechanism for getting my hands high. If you pads won't tilt and you are going to be putting your elbows under the pads and leaving them level (either because you prefer that or because your aero at setup won't let the pads tilt) one of the other suggested solutions might work, but I would get some thick pads.

I use the past tense because I just got a new TT bike after not having one for a year, so I am starting over on this.