Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Singlespeed/Fixed Gear Bike for About $600
Quote | Reply
I've decided to get a singlespeed/fixed gear this fall/winter and will start training on it after the Marine Corp Marathon. So far I've found a couple bikes that fit my price range but I still would like a few more options, here is my short list:
  • Lemond Fillmore (cost is about $1000, $400 over my desired cost but perhaps my favorite)
  • Bianchi Pista (can usually get one with a brake for around $650, I hope the 06 model stays chrome)
  • Raleigh Rush Hour (about $600, seems OK)
  • Specialized Langster (about $700, doesn’t do much for me)
  • Trek Track Bike (I'm hearing $1000 w/o brakes?)

Right now I'm leaning towards the Pista but Bianch has not updated their website with the 2006 models yet, what other options are out there?

Dave in VA
Quote Reply
Re: Singlespeed/Fixed Gear Bike for About $600 [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Other options? Trash pick old steel frame. Remove unnecessary chainrings. Remove cassette and replace with with BMX freehub. Ride.

You can get fancy, but single's make fun project bikes because of the simplicity.
Quote Reply
Re: Singlespeed/Fixed Gear Bike for About $600 [Ginsu Dave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is what i did. Old Raleigh frame on ebay was 100 bucks. The wheels and hubs cost about 250 (open pros). The rest was cheap. I spraycanned it and it looks good. I am almost done with it.

If you want new, look at the Surly Steamroller, Milwaukee "Orange One", and someone here mentioned Fort to me once.
Quote Reply
Re: Singlespeed/Fixed Gear Bike for About $600 [johnt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got an old steel roady for $40 on craigslist, stripped it down and installed a frehub. Good to go for around $100.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good info from the other posters. You may want to check IRO Cycles in NY or Soma. I got a Specialized Langster for $550 at Supergo. Came with a flip flop hub and front & rear brakes. Put a fixed gear on it and took off the breaks. Most fun of all my bikes to ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Singlespeed/Fixed Gear Bike for About $600 [Diesel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And go to www.fixedgeargallery.com for inspiration
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Pista with front brake and fake extra brake for symmetry. I got a chrome road handlebar, too. I don't care for the WTB saddles, but some people love 'em. The silver saddle looks cool with the chrome bike.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would talk to your local bike shop. They could fix you up cheeper then that. Using a older road bike with a redished wheel. You should try a fixed gear first and see if you like it enough to spend the money. Sheldon Brown has lots of info. I put mine together for $100. with new tires and fenders.I like riding it and it was worth the money to me.

Good luck Thom

Slowtwitch bitchist place on planet earth
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
  • Specialized Langster (about $700, doesn’t do much for me)

I bought a Langster on a whim, slightly less than a year ago. It was only $460.00. Who is selling them for $700.00?

I was a nice bike, but I simply never got around to riding it. I was going to use it as my winter/beater bike, but instead used it as a wall decoration. Eventually I sold it on EBay... for more than my purchase price... God Bless EBay buyers.

If I were going to buy a fixie again, I wouldn't hesitate to go with the Langster again. You might want to check out http://www.nycbikes.com/ , I've heard good things about them.

-Mark Rebuck, http://www.markrebuck.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i bought a windsor hour on ebay complete rig for less than 400 incl. shipping. don't know what street price is. maybe track "fixed gear" searches for a while on ebay. I put on a nice saddle and a front brake, also from ebay. I love it so much i do 75% of my rides on it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
go to www.chucksbikes.com and get all your components there...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pattie this is easy.

go to :

www.benscycle.com

check out the Milwaukee Bike Co. street fixie. built by none other than nearby waterford cycles, not the low bidder in china like the other ones that have been mentioned so far.

the Milwaukee kicks total ass and is cheap. it rules. ben's cycle is the coolest bike shop in wisconsin ( how cool ? can YOUR bike shop get r. schwinn to build cheap fixies for them that compete with waterford's own ?? ), they do great business and are as fine a bunch of cycle-nutcases as you are gonna find. this is a no-brainer, really. be cool.
Last edited by: yip the coyote: Sep 21, 05 16:48
Quote Reply
Re: Singlespeed/Fixed Gear Bike for About $600 [yip the coyote] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
check out the Milwaukee Bike Co. street fixie. built by none other than nearby waterford cycles, not the low bidder in china like the other ones that have been mentioned so far.

Nice job but too slow...and incorrect. Read up a few posts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sorry john, missed your brief post.

incorrect in what way, tho?
Quote Reply
Re: Singlespeed/Fixed Gear Bike for About $600 [t-t-n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was simply pointing out that not all of the prior recommendations were for China or Taiwan-made frames. I had already mentioned Milwaukee.
Last edited by: johnt: Sep 21, 05 17:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hmmmmm. which ones, bro ?? i guess there is a possibility that the fillmore isn't a pacific rim bike, tho it could just as well be - i am not certain and trek plays pretty close to the vest on that stuff . . . . the other ones all are, tho.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The poster wrote that his rec. of milwaukee was not from China like all the other ones mentioned so far. I am saying that he was incorrect because not alll the other ones mentioned so far were from China. I had already recommended Milwaukee. If this does not clear this up I can explain it no more clearly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
which of the bikes are you saying are not from from china ?? the bianchi, soma, IRO, raleigh, surly, specialized etc etc are all from the pacific rim. possibly the lemond is domestic built, but i doubt it.

the milwaukee is from waterford, wisconsin from arguably the most storied builder in amarican history.
Last edited by: t-t-n: Sep 21, 05 17:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The fort is czech
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Forget it.
Quote Reply