Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Singapore - A CUBE OF ICE PLEASE...
Quote | Reply
On Saturday 29th October, a group of friends and myself had our training for the coming marathon. We usually have our long runs at East Coat Park, Singapore however, the weather last Saturday was exceptionally hot. Even with our hydration point of Gatorade, I felt that the top of my head was on 'fire'. Unfortunately by the time, I got to the hydration point, our ice in the water cooler have all melt. I know that I need ice to cool down my core temperature. I had no choice but to go to the snack bar at the Osim Tri Swim start point by the beach call Kayak Snack bar or something. (across the bicycle rental place) I told the man that I do not have any money with me but if he can just give me A CUBE OF ICE as I am not feeling too well. His answer was 'NO' and I told him just 1 CUBE. He said ' Ice, is not for sale' I was Shocked! I then asked him, 'So, even if there is someone who is going to die, you will not even give 1 CUBE of ice?' He said 'NO'. I told him ' You have just lost my business and many other athletes.' HE said 'it doesn't matter'. This experience totally horrified me! 1 week ago, my husband and myself was at Kona, Hawaii for the Ironman World Championship. The experience from the people there was amazing. Each time when we had our training before his race day, running down Alii Drive, folks there never hesitate to top up our water if we need. What is wrong with these people at Kayak Snack Bar? I think any athletes doing your swim or run training at East Coast Park should boycott this place simply because - THEY DON'T CARE!
Quote Reply
Re: Singapore - A CUBE OF ICE PLEASE... [Janet SIN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Ice Nazi lives in Singapore... "NO ICE FOR YOU!"

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gee isn't that surprising for Singapore ??????

Very common from my experience , best of luck in your training for your event.

Will have to ensure that any athletes in the area don't frequent that shop !

"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" - Les Brown
"Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment" - Jim Rohn
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having run the Singapore Marathon last year, I can tell you that ice on the race course is minimal at best. There is plenty of water....well except at the aid station at km 34 which was also the aid station at km 18 or 19 (if memory serves me correctly). Anyway, that one missed aid station did me in, as I was dehydrated going from each aid station. 1 cup of water over my head, and one to drink. My head was completely dry by the time I got to the next station, 2km away. The water was warm, but still liquid so I took as much as I could.

Anyways....I can't remember this place specifically, so I don't think they are affliliated with the race anyways. My suggestion is to really early in the morning. Its still hot and humid, but the race starts at 6am for a reason. Trying to keep the runners out of the heat as much as possible.

Best of luck to you in the race. If Singapore was closer, I would be back in no time.

--------
Canadian resident again 10/31/2009
Quote Reply
Re: Singapore - A CUBE OF ICE PLEASE... [cimit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Idiot vendor.....

ANYWAYS, I think spore still has a long way in terms of sports awareness and support.

BUT i'm glad to see SOOO MANY S.Ters residing in spore!! YAY! ahhaha :)
Quote Reply
Re: Singapore - A CUBE OF ICE PLEASE... [cimit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thank you for the advise and yes lots most of the time when we get to the hydration point, the water is warm by then... I guess beggers can't be choosers.. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Singapore - A CUBE OF ICE PLEASE... [Tri-sg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha! I am consideting to cut the article and personally deliver to that Kayak Snack at east coast park...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmm, he lost your business? Your please give me free ice kind of business.......

I'll probably be a jerk for saying this, but last saturday wasn't any warmer than normal. True, it was hot, but nothing crazy. I would never go out in this kind of weather relying on the "kindness" of strangers to satisfy my hydration needs. Yeah, i'd like to be able to do that, but ive also been here long enough to know that a lot of people are just plain clueless....

3 things. First, seat is too high. second, i think Carrefour or NTUC might be having a sale on coolers. Buy a new one.

Lastly ;) Relak la!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
was he chinese? the chinese, especially small business owners, are known to be extremely frugal.
Quote Reply
Re: Singapore - A CUBE OF ICE PLEASE... [usna00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hmmm.....I believe many can explain to you the road to build a successful business. It is not the big things but the little things that contibute to success <sigh>... fundamentals...

Anyways,you are entitled to your opinion.
Last edited by: Janet SIN: Nov 2, 05 20:41
Quote Reply
Re: Singapore - A CUBE OF ICE PLEASE... [cyclisto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nah.. he looks some what malay... indian.. (light skin) I don't know but I think it's not about frugal.. it's a simple word call - Compassion that we do not see it in SIngapore these days...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Obviously not a fan of humor or sarcasm.

Are you more upset that his business is bad or that your cooler isn't very good? I would worry about better preparations next time rather than improving the world one Snack Shop at a time. But yeah, thats just my opinion......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hmm, he lost your business? Your please give me free ice kind of business.......

I'll probably be a jerk for saying this, but last saturday wasn't any warmer than normal. True, it was hot, but nothing crazy. I would never go out in this kind of weather relying on the "kindness" of strangers to satisfy my hydration needs. Yeah, i'd like to be able to do that, but ive also been here long enough to know that a lot of people are just plain clueless....

3 things. First, seat is too high. second, i think Carrefour or NTUC might be having a sale on coolers. Buy a new one.

Lastly ;) Relak la!
Mate were you born y'day ?

Quote Reply
Re: Singapore - A CUBE OF ICE PLEASE... [canuck8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you've got a point to make, just say it. To humor you though, yes, as a matter of fact I was born yesterday. It was however quite a feat to reach the keyboard two days ago...

That Snack Shop does suck. I don't disagree. I was there during the OSIM tri this year and the dude flipped out when I wanted an extra straw. I don't go there anymore. He'll get what is his in due time, but I don't think a worldwide call for a boycott is necessary. That wasn't my point.

Living and training in Singapore you should know at least one thing. It is always hot. It was hot yesterday, it is hot today and guess what, it will be hot tomorrow. The heat shouldn't be a surprise so plan appropriately for it.

Before we get all dramatic and blame others for our problem, it might be useful to find out how the problem originally came about. So, like i said before, buy a new cooler. and Oh yeah, Relak.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
USNA

Happy b'day for yesterday.

Personally living and training here for 13 years I am quite aware of what is required and similiarily not required to train and race in this climate.

Unfortunately , you are missing three key points ,that are emphasized by the starter of the thread.

1. The lack of regard for another human's well-being.

2. Business 101 ....identifies the fact that should you wish to generate business , GOODWILL goes a long way and is in actual fact , in many businesses, an asset with a numerical value.

3. Basic common courtesy.

I believe the author of this thread is advertising this business owner ( NOT STRANGER as you have been unable to differentiate and further eliminates your prior statement of "relying" on kindness ). Once an individual sets up shop , he/they are now viewed as a public entity/personality as such. The individual at this shop whether an employee/ partner / shareholder if publicly listed , serving customers is now AN AGENT ACTING ON BEHALF OF THE COMPANY. Whether or not this individual is seen by 1 customer or 10000 is irrelevant. HE is the face of the COMPANY.

I respect your opinion, I might add , because this is a forum , you are obviously entitled to state whatever you wish. At the same time though, the author is free to advertise , to the ENTIRE world , his/her opinion regarding the service received at the relevant business.

Regarding the seat being too high , think you might want to add to the author , the addition of spacers and stem length !

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Read right over the fact that I don't like that shop, that I don't go there anymore and that I think the guy is a flippin idiot..... That wasn't my point.

I'll give you that the original poster is entitled to making whatever comment they want about whatever shop they decide to drop in on. Again, not my point.

In fact, your points are perfectly valid and I completely agree. However, not my point.

I made a joke about the "please give me free ice" kind of business. That apparently flew over everyone here.

As far as you being prepared for the weather, I'm sure you are. The drama brought about by the original post seemed to say otherwise however.

Let me explain my point in a slightly different way. I go cycling, get a flat and start to change it. Once I get started I realize that I forgot my tire lever, but lucky me, I'm right next to my "friendly neighborhood bike shop." So I go in, ask if I can borrow a lever and the old uncle inside says NO. NO? But i only want to borrow....Why not?!? Because he doesn't want to.

Its bad business and I have full right to be pissed at him for doing something so foolish as pissing off a potential customer.

Which leads me to my point....sure, go ahead and get pissed at him because he is a bad businessman and doesn't understand business fundamentals. Get pissed at him because as a public entity I should have reasonable expectations that he will assist me. BUT, before I get all dramatic I might just want to get a little pissed at myself for forgetting the tire lever in the first place.

Follow-up question......living in singapore for 13 years do you find that most drivers here adhere to principles 1 and 3 in your post? Follow-up to the follow-up, which is worse: those lunatic SMRT bus drivers or your average E220 driving "uncle"?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]On Saturday 29th October, a group of friends and myself had our training for the coming marathon. We usually have our long runs at East Coat Park, Singapore however, the weather last Saturday was exceptionally hot. Even with our hydration point of Gatorade, I felt that the top of my head was on 'fire'. Unfortunately by the time, I got to the hydration point, our ice in the water cooler have all melt. I know that I need ice to cool down my core temperature. I had no choice but to go to the snack bar at the Osim Tri Swim start point by the beach call [b]Kayak Snack bar or something. (across the bicycle rental[/b] [b]place)[/b] I told the man that I do not have any money with me but if he can just give me A CUBE OF ICE as I am not feeling too well. His answer was 'NO' and I told him just 1 CUBE. He said ' Ice, is not for sale' I was Shocked! I then asked him, 'So, even if there is someone who is going to die, you will not even give 1 CUBE of ice?' He said 'NO'. I told him ' You have just lost my business and many other athletes.' HE said 'it doesn't matter'. This experience totally horrified me! 1 week ago, my husband and myself was at Kona, Hawaii for the Ironman World Championship. The experience from the people there was amazing. Each time when we had our training before his race day, running down Alii Drive, folks there never hesitate to top up our water if we need. What is wrong with these people at Kayak Snack Bar? I think any athletes doing your swim or run training at East Coast Park should boycott this place simply because - THEY DON'T CARE![/reply]

1st thing: Your Grammer

2nd thing: It's East Coast Park

3rd thing: You just had a bad experince. They are many beach goers that will be willing to help you out.

And just to clarify things, majority of singaporeans are not like that. Most of them are rather pleasent people.

Oh,and you should just spend that extra money to get a better cooler.

-

--------------------------------------------------------------
Tri-ing
Quote Reply
Re: Singapore - A CUBE OF ICE PLEASE... [praks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oh and the response from singaporean triathletes:

http://www.triathlonfamily.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1011

-

--------------------------------------------------------------
Tri-ing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
[reply]On Saturday 29th October, a group of friends and myself had our training for the coming marathon. We usually have our long runs at East Coat Park, Singapore however, the weather last Saturday was exceptionally hot. Even with our hydration point of Gatorade, I felt that the top of my head was on 'fire'. Unfortunately by the time, I got to the hydration point, our ice in the water cooler have all melt. I know that I need ice to cool down my core temperature. I had no choice but to go to the snack bar at the Osim Tri Swim start point by the beach call [b]Kayak Snack bar or something. (across the bicycle rental[/b] [b]place)[/b] I told the man that I do not have any money with me but if he can just give me A CUBE OF ICE as I am not feeling too well. His answer was 'NO' and I told him just 1 CUBE. He said ' Ice, is not for sale' I was Shocked! I then asked him, 'So, even if there is someone who is going to die, you will not even give 1 CUBE of ice?' He said 'NO'. I told him ' You have just lost my business and many other athletes.' HE said 'it doesn't matter'. This experience totally horrified me! 1 week ago, my husband and myself was at Kona, Hawaii for the Ironman World Championship. The experience from the people there was amazing. Each time when we had our training before his race day, running down Alii Drive, folks there never hesitate to top up our water if we need. What is wrong with these people at Kayak Snack Bar? I think any athletes doing your swim or run training at East Coast Park should boycott this place simply because - THEY DON'T CARE![/reply]

" They are many beach goers that will be willing to help you out. "

And just to clarify things, majority of singaporeans are not like that. Most of them are rather pleasent people.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What do you think is incorrect with the previously highlighted sentences ( that you wrote ) PRAKS , since you are here advising on grammar....amongst other knowledgeable areas ?

USNA

The E220's are worse in my opinion , have a great weekend and ride safely :)

Last edited by: canuck8: Nov 4, 05 18:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

2nd thing: It's East Coast Park

3rd thing: You just had a bad experince. They are many beach goers that will be willing to help you out.

Oh,and you should just spend that extra money to get a better cooler.

-

Grammer? How nitpicky can you get?

Whoa...cool it... She was merely recounting an incident -- that doesn't equate to stereotyping people in Singapore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I too am as disappointed as many who like to think that ‘majority of Singaporeans are not like that. Most of them are rather pleasant people’. Singapore have transformed from an ‘ugly duckling’ a mere ‘dot’ on the map with quite abit of riots, a colonial outpost to what we are today.

I like to think that Singaporean has become much more traveled. We are more tolerant of peculiarity of other people and cosmopolitan. My experience recently may more likely to have taken palce some 40 years ago. Yet it took place, 40 years later, when so much has been invested.

Most professionals were shocked with my experience unfortunately not you but as I always say, this is a forum and you are entitled to your opinion including correcting angry athlete’s English.

Have a good one and make sure you bring yourself sufficient hydration, ice –cubes etc when you do ran at East Coast Park.

Btw, to prevent others from forming perception about your myopic views. Stop talking about the COOLER! I am sure you are more intelligent than that to know that the topic is not on COOLER how about trying this word -VALUES??
Last edited by: Janet SIN: Nov 7, 05 6:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, who else is doing the marathon?
Quote Reply
Re: Singapore - A CUBE OF ICE PLEASE... [geekgoddess] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Me.

Made in Scotland frae Girders
Quote Reply
Re: Singapore - A CUBE OF ICE PLEASE... [IrnBru] [ In reply to ]