Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Since we've been talking front wheels
Quote | Reply
Since we've had several recent posts talking about front wheels I've got a question: What is the functional difference between an H3 and a Hed Jet Deep?

I know the H3 is slightly more aero, but not by a lot according to Hed's numbers. The H3 is only slightly more expensive on www.tri-zone.com. So how do you decide between the two? I suspect that the jet deep is fairly bombproof, but how fragile is the H3?
Quote Reply
Re: Since we've been talking front wheels [tom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom, I've never had a tri-spoke but I would advise against a Hed Deep as a front wheel unless you have low wind conditions and run a disc on the back.

I had Hed 60's front/rear on my TCR and the wind could grab me good on some days. Works better now with a disc or with a Deep on the rear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I contacted hed and talked to one of their Tech guys (Andy I think) about this exact question. He said one difference is that the deep's rim weight is more than the H3. The H3 has a heavier hub so the rotational weight at the outside of the wheel is less than the deep. As far as aerodynamicly I think you are right the difference looks negligable, however an extra 100 or so grams of weight on the outside of the wheel is a big difference in my opinion.

Greg
Quote Reply
I have never seen a Deep front [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have never seen a Hed Deep used as a front wheel. I used to have one on the back and I liked it, but I sold it and got a disk. I would think it would be a real bear to handle in any wind.

Go for the Hed 3. People like them. They keep their resale value on eBay since people like them so much and they last. The price of the Deeps drops a lot on resale.
Quote Reply
Re: I have never seen a Deep front [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aussie Pro Grant Webster has done the last two Hawaii's with a deep as his front wheel (interestingly he uses a 3 as his back wheel) - he has survived both. I think previously someone has said that a deep and 3 have about the same cross sectional area so would be picked up just as hard as each other - but agree you would think a deep would be picked up on the edges and cause much more movement.
Quote Reply
Re: I have never seen a Deep front [Bungle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did Hed not use to advertise H3 rear/Alps front as fast combo? Does anyone run with this?
Quote Reply
Re: I have never seen a Deep front [shw10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
would anyone think of running a kona coast front and rear?

Or would this be really unstable??

-kevin

P.S. Are these things actually going to become available from hed any time soon? And do they have an idea on price yet?

"Anyone can work hard when they want to; Champions do it when they don't."
Quote Reply
Re: Windy conditions [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think DeBoom rode Alps in front and H3 in back during Hawaii this year.

Maybe a good setup for me is Alps in front and Renn in back. I ride in mostly flat and mostly windy races. The Tall Texan 1/2 IM will probably be my hillyest (is that a word?) ride. But then, it is so flat around here that I don't know what constitutes a hilly ride.

Any comments on that setup? These will be my only race wheels for a while.
Quote Reply
Re: Windy conditions [tom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Any comments on that setup"

Get's my thumb up. Go on the Hed site and note that the Alps are quite aero. Can't beat the Renn disc for price.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a H3 rear and I love it. You can't break those things unless you crash, a llittle on the heavy side but if you think about Deep or Disk that's no issue.

In the front I run a Mavic Cosmic Carbon. Aerodynamically a great wheel but it's very fragile. I broke my rear by accelerating from a stopsign. Those wheels won any timetrial around the world that you could think of but those guys ride them for maybe 500 miles or so. I'd go for the H3 any time, front or rear but that's my personal preference.
Quote Reply