Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Silverman 70.3 wetsuit/no wetsuit thread
Quote | Reply
Personally hoping for no wetsuit , but anyone who is local, please keep us posted. This site suggests over 80F currently:

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/view/validProds.php?prod=RTP&node=KVEF
Quote Reply
Re: Silverman 70.3 wetsuit/no wetsuit thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You western state guys are not as fun. If this was a wetsuit no wetsuit thread about Lake Placid there would be 100 panic posts by now!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not local, but racing, and yes I want the wetsuit legal option...

Does that make a qualify as a first responder ;>)

BTW it was 103 on Saturday.

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd prefer a wetsuit legal race. In the end, I don't really care as I'm coming into the race undertrained and have pretty low expectations.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a new wetsuit that I'd like to try out before IMAZ, so I'd like a wetsuit legal race, but meh...I doubt it will be, if it's anything like the local lakes here in Phoenix.
Quote Reply
Re: Silverman 70.3 wetsuit/no wetsuit thread [PHXATC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The water has been bathwater warm as recently as one week ago. On the plus side, last year's Pumpkinman race on 10/19 WAS wetsuit legal. With the weather we have here it could really go either way.

I'm hoping it's wetsuit legal to help ward off the seaweed creatures that are covering the shallow areas near the ramp.
Last edited by: nikenum9: Sep 22, 14 15:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I called it months ago as wetsuit legal, never done a lake mead race that wasn't. But personally I'd prefer no wetsuits

It's supposed to cool down a little, but not a lot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never done an non-wetsuit legal race, so the fear in me is hoping it's wetsuit legal. However, I want to be able to overcome this fear, especially since I know that I am a competent swimmer. Plus, I signed up for IM Texas next year, and this will be my last chance to get non-wetsuit open water practice before then. So I'm going to stop being such a wuss and hope for non-wetsuit. That said, if it is going to be non-wetsuit, I hope the water stays bathwater warm, because even mid-70's is too cold for me.

"Thankfully, persistence is a great substitute for talent" - Steve Martin
http://www.trifundracing.com
Quote Reply
Re: Silverman 70.3 wetsuit/no wetsuit thread [AdamHill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My understanding of the rules is that even if it's not wetsuit legal you can still wear one but you are just disqualified for age group awards, correct? So technically if one is more comfortable in a wetsuit and not expecting to place you could still wear one, just don't expect to get any awards if you happen to place. Am I correct on this? I will be racing, don't care for or against wetsuit, I just don't want 95+ degree weather on the run, spoken from a true Oregonian!
Quote Reply
Re: Silverman 70.3 wetsuit/no wetsuit thread [Giantxlab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Giantxlab wrote:
My understanding of the rules is that even if it's not wetsuit legal you can still wear one but you are just disqualified for age group awards, correct? So technically if one is more comfortable in a wetsuit and not expecting to place you could still wear one, just don't expect to get any awards if you happen to place. Am I correct on this? I will be racing, don't care for or against wetsuit, I just don't want 95+ degree weather on the run, spoken from a true Oregonian!

You are right, you can wear a wetsuit up to 83 I think, but not be eligible for any awards/qualifications. I definitely won't be making any podiums in two weeks, but I think I'm still going to opt to not wear one. Just need to build the experience in this regard. I too am hoping for some mild running weather. Hopefully it will stay "cool" until the afternoon.

Quote Reply
Re: Silverman 70.3 wetsuit/no wetsuit thread [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chris:
Just because you are a fish does not mean that you should rain on my parade ;>)

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Re: Silverman 70.3 wetsuit/no wetsuit thread [gymrat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gymrat wrote:
Chris:
Just because you are a fish does not mean that you should rain on my parade ;>)

I need to use everything in my power to slow you down so I can get as big a head start on the run as I can. The later you pass me the better I'll feel about myself :)
Quote Reply
Re: Silverman 70.3 wetsuit/no wetsuit thread [AdamHill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are right, you can wear a wetsuit up to 83 I think, but not be eligible for any awards/qualifications. I definitely won't be making any podiums in two weeks, but I think I'm still going to opt to not wear one. Just need to build the experience in this regard. I too am hoping for some mild running weather. Hopefully it will stay "cool" until the afternoon.
--------
I'm a MOP guy but thinking of opting not to wear a WS too. Also, I've done three hot races this year, a cool off would be nice but don't think it's going to happen.

So we have a smack down between two LA guys, Chris and gymrat going too :)

We're gonna have fun!

Train safe & smart
Bob

Last edited by: Longboarder: Sep 22, 14 19:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great...I just bought a Roka swimskin on sale just for this race. I'm not that good but wanted to try something new. If it's above 60, I'm fine in the swimskin. Might help keep me cold throughout the rest of the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also hoping for no wetsuit! I LOVE warm water!

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Re: Silverman 70.3 wetsuit/no wetsuit thread [TriBodyboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriBodyboarder wrote:
Also hoping for no wetsuit! I LOVE warm water!

Alright good to hear this is trending towards a no wetsuit swim. I'm no fish, but my bad neck hates wetsuits and I find that although I slow down around 2 min without wetsuit, I know several guys who swim with me with wetsuit who swim 4-5 min slower. Anyway, yesterday I did an 80 min run in Taipei which feels exactly like a sauna right now. Even Houston on the hottest most humid day that I have experienced there does not touch the humidty here. I lost 4 kilos of body weight in a single run. At least I will be ready for dry heat if we have at Silverman. Do you guys recommend any hotels in Henderson. Yet to book that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev, I booked into Green Valley Resort which I believe is across the street from T2/Finish line, but honestly, I've never been to Henderson, so I can't comment on alternatives. The IM site has some suggestions.

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Re: Silverman 70.3 wetsuit/no wetsuit thread [TriBodyboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Green Valley Ranch Resort is a good choice. Close to T2 and the Henderson Multi-generational Recreation Center is walking distance and has a great outdoor lap pool if you need a sharpening swim. The Resort also has restaurants (and gambling!) and is walking distance to Whole Foods I believe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The RD just posted a reply on the facebook page which said that if it is non-wetsuit (with wetsuits still allowed for those who do not wish to podium or qualify), a wetsuit wave will go off after everyone else has gone. This makes the idea of going sans wetsuit more appealing, since I would not want to be in the warm water in a wetsuit later in the morning, not to mention getting out on the course later when the weather gets warmer. It may even help to lighten up the rest of the swim waves (maybe?).

Quote Reply
Re: Silverman 70.3 wetsuit/no wetsuit thread [TomTriesTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I stayed at GVR last month and will be there next wknd. Cool place with lots of amenities. Very convenient to everything and walking distance to the Pavilion. I think there is a Marriott nearby as well but not sure where.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swam yesterday at Boulder Beach. Temperature measured at a one foot depth just off shore was 85F. Slightly cooler out on the buoy line. There is a cold front approaching Friday so night time temperatures next week should be in the 60s. That should bring the temperature down a couple degrees. I'd say there is no chance of getting down to 78. Just hope it does cool off for a non-wetsuit swim. Personally, swimming hard without a wetsuit in 85F water is not fun. If it gets down to 80, that would help greatly.
Quote Reply
Re: Silverman 70.3 wetsuit/no wetsuit thread [VegasTrilete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow 85 is hot, let's hope It cools off to 80 for race day.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
VegasTrilete wrote:
I'd say there is no chance of getting down to 78.

Cutoff for WTC races is 76.1.
Quote Reply
Re: Silverman 70.3 wetsuit/no wetsuit thread [Peanut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
76.1F for WTC. Did not know that. That makes more sense than 78. NO chance getting there. One month out here makes a big difference. The original Silverman races were the first week of November. Water temps then are around 70.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
VegasTrilete wrote:
76.1F for WTC. Did not know that. That makes more sense than 78. NO chance getting there. One month out here makes a big difference. The original Silverman races were the first week of November. Water temps then are around 70.

Weather forecasts are currently showing high's in the mid 80's and the low's right at 60 for the days leading up to the race. It only takes a few days for the Boulder Beach area to cool down. The water temperature is traditionally very much in line with the early morning air temperatures during that time of year as well.

Truth is, anything can happen at this point. For those travelling who are hoping for a wetsuit legal race, I would suggest bringing it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next