Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sights on Next Summer
Quote | Reply
I was a great athlete growing up, basketball and football in JH and HS, swim team when I was a bit younger....then I went on a Hiatus from Health, a Sabbatical from sense if you will that has lasted oh about a decade......

About 8 months ago I took my last puff off a cigarette (1 1/2 pack/day habit).....

About 2 1/2 months ago I joined a Gym for weights and cardio-elliptical (6'2" 260lbs) and started watching what I was eating....

About 1 month ago (245 lbs) I decided I needed a goal for myself....I am going to participate in some triathlons next summer....Bought some running shoes...switched from the elliptical to the treadmill....

Yesterday ordered my first "real bike" after a couple hours at the LBS (2006 Lemond Reno 57cm......)

Today....235lbs....running 15-25 minutes 3 times a week (at a sad 10-12 min pace) on the treadmill and a road run through my neighborhood on Saturdays, lifting 3 times a week......waiting for my bike to come......getting ready to purchase the first speedo I've owned in 15 years and looking to slowly transition out of my 100% running training.........

Looking at training plans and notice there's one thing in common, no matter what the plan, it's preparing me for a race a few months down the road. My goal is to particpate in some Sprint Triathlons early next summer and an Olympic tri by the end of the summer.......

Any thoughts on getting into some training for the long haul.....most programs have taper weeks and brick weeks in gearing up for a race, that doesn't apply for me right now, what would I do during those weeks?!?!?

I am terribly out of shape, but one thing I don't lack is willpower, I am committed to these goals and am just in need of some good advice in developing a program that will get me there......any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Quote Reply
Re: Sights on Next Summer [jliechty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
base miles. i think people would recommend, just building a strong base ...adding meters to your swim, miles to your bike and run. you will definately be ready for a sprint in 9 months. try a masters swim class, i have yet too, but they work wonders ....just get out and be healthy! work on y our diet as it is definately one of the hardest parts to stick to. best of luck!

------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.GetEndorFit.com
Personal Training and Sports Conditioning
------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Sights on Next Summer [Local Star] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And please just say no to the speedo.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.slowtwitch.com/...ginner/training.html

I used this program 4-5 years ago to get started. It's great, check it out.

Good luck!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think a "sprint" tattoo is in order.
Quote Reply
Re: Sights on Next Summer [Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i second this.

k
Quote Reply
Re: Sights on Next Summer [NJSteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That wouldn't be sarcasm I'm detecting there now would it??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck I hope you do well.

Don't turn into one of those people who posts this now, then in 2 months posts about doing an Ironman next year. Then you do an Ironman in 16 or so hours, and you are never heard from again. That is what you would call "a poser".

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Re: Sights on Next Summer [Erik Clark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's the cutoff for non-poseurness? :P

-------------------------------------
Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Several things will help you get in great shape for next season. (if only more took the long term approach..sigh)

One is to drop weight, watching what you eat is part of it, but increasing your amt and intensity of exercise is the other side of he coin. Cycling is the easiest way to do this. Just start increasing reasonably the length of your rides, and then add in some intensity. running frequency will get you further at this point in the game then increasing your volume. So run 5-6 times per week, even if some of those runs are just for 10-15 min. As someone who weighed more previously, you probably have more strength than some of the pencil necks you see cruising along on the treadmills at 9mph. You can probably cut back on your weight training, or even stop for a bit.

Bottom line is to add volume and intensity over the long term while watching what you eat and losing a few more pounds, which will make the whole thing easier as well. And find a good technique stroke coach if you don't swim well.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Aug 24, 05 17:49
Quote Reply
Re: Sights on Next Summer [steveperx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would say about 15 hours max. Swim 1.5 hrs, bike 7 hours, run 6 hours, plus 30 minutes for transitions. Really anything slower isn't that hard for a healthy adult to do with a little training. Now those over 60 years old, or physically challenged 17 hours is good enough.

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Re: Sights on Next Summer [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks you all for the great advice.

No poseing here...
Quote Reply