Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shortness of breath from wetsuit??
Quote | Reply
Hi All,

On my 5th triathlon I found it hard to catch my breath at about the 500m mark. Online basically talks about panic attacks, but I just don't think that's it. Is it possible that my wetsuit (that was fitted in the triathlon store - and I haven't gained any weight since) is too tight?

It seems to fit normally, I breathe ok when I'm standing around. My reach is a little tight, but otherwise its ok.

I wonder, is this seemingly normal fitting wetsuit in fact too tight or am I experiencing panic attacks and don't even know it?
Quote Reply
Re: Shortness of breath from wetsuit?? [omatari] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wetsuits are supposed to be tight. At 500m with the initial push, the pack, nerves (short of panic), etc can leave you a bit winded. Are you able to then continue and find a normal rhythm?

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Shortness of breath from wetsuit?? [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was really dizzy on until a couple of minutes into the bike ride.

I started feeling it when I the pack already loosened up (nobody was super close). Also, I didn't feel nervous at all (at least consciously nervous).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd say its a panic attack of sorts. I get exactly the same feeling, although usually after 200-300m or so, about one in four races I do - there seems to be no pattern to when they occur (have done 2000 people IM races no problem, but freaked out in small race in a wave of 50 or so people) so I just slow down my stroke, breathe very easily and then the feeling goes away and I'm good to go again.

I can swim in the same wetsuit all day long if I'm training at the local lake but put me in a race situation and as I say, every now and then my arms will feel really fatigued after a few minutes and the wetsuit will feel constricting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you just need to spend more time swimming in it to me. I screwed up this weekend and after just doing a few pool swims threw on my wetsuit for an Olympic. Same deal, shortness of breath, somewhat anxious, etc. Took a long time to just settle him. I put it squarely on not spending anytime in it since early last year (oh and I've got about 10lbs on me I did not have back then..that certainly does not help).

I'm no expert but everything I've experienced says that your wetsuit should feel a bit uncomfortable standing up, but more comfortable in the water and in a swim position.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been doing Triathlon for over twenty years and was a competitive swimmer in my youth.
Then continued for a number of years as a Masters swimmer. Yet I have had the very same thing, even bought a larger sized wetsuit because of perceived tightness. I have competed (or at least participated) at every distance.

Why the preamble?

Because I still have to go through a rather elaborate warmup, most of the time, to overcome the very thing you experienced. That includes running, riding, stretch bands, in water warmups. Some or all depending on the day, the weather and the course.

Some starts are better than others. In longer races I can afford to start very slow, because I can negative split, in shorter races when you go for it, sprints and olympic for example, a water warmup is really necessary and even there I have to resist the temptation not to go out too fast.

It's not a panic attack, it is quite common and mostly appears to be caused by a little too much adrenaline, maybe a tad too much caffeine (you goo up before swimming?). You can control it.

One thing that did help was playing a few games of water polo, because for a long while I hated the start, there's no body contact in competitive swimming :0).

This is an excellent article written on ST 8 years ago, that covers the nasty end of this condition. You can stop it before it gets there with a little care.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Training/Swimming/Swimming_Induced_Pulmonary_Edema_SIPE__45.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get the same feeling from it. I think it is a mild claustrophobia for me. I get the same feeling plus a headache if I put on a tight compression shirt.
Quote Reply
Re: Shortness of breath from wetsuit?? [phog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a great read. Thanks for sharing it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have virtually no fear of water and absolutely no issue with getting crowds in water but I am a very slow swimmer at best. My comfort in the water is because I grew up in a lake area and spent virtually every day during the summer in the water. Sometimes alone, sometimes with friends. With friends, I'm amazed we didn't drown one another with the "games" we played (thus, being forced underwater by a body or two for a short duration doesn't bother me).

But, I experience the same kind of thing, I'll start out strong, likely too strong and start to, well, run out of oxygen. I think I'm just going out too hard for my ability. I slow down to my pace and I can continue just fine.

Oh and I have experienced SIPE, including the bloody froth. It really sucks. While I've completed both a Sprint and Oly in this condition it is really annoying not being able to get above a Z2 during the bike & run.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I won't pretend to be an expert with 20 yrs experience or anything like that. I am a total newbie, rookie, etc. With that said, I have experienced the exact same and turned out it was the wet-suit. I cut a "V" shape out of the neck of the wet-suit, right where my "adams-apple" is and my sensations went away. My suit fits tight enough around the shoulders that I don't find the little V allows water to fill the suit, it really seems to have no effect on the function of the suit. I have also used wet-suit pants for warmer swims with no issues, meaning it doesn't seem to be anxiety etc. I am a SCUBA diver, so very comfortable in water and maintain calm at depths and found the same effect when using a dry-suit (just can't cut the neck in a dry suit!). Just food for thought. Sounds like there are many possibilities!
The fun part of Triathlon is finding these challenges and ways to overcome them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You need to OWS in a wetsuit more. That feeling will go away pretty quickly if you stick to swimming in the wetsuit.
Quote Reply
Re: Shortness of breath from wetsuit?? [phog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While Im definitely not experiencing water in my lungs I think this phenomenon is similar to my case. I think I may take it easy on the caffeine and try doing a warm up in the water before racing.

Thanks for the advice! its good to know that my wetsuit doesn't need replacing. Just need to make some small adjustments.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you can feel completely calm in the water (i.e. not a panic attack) and still have this happen.

I've found letting some water in the suit and letting it drain out before the swim start to be a huge help in alleviating feelings of claustrophobia and shortness of breadth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wetsuits usually feel "OK" in the store because you're not doing anything.
Once you start swimming, your neck, back, shoulders, and arms pump up, so by about 500m, things might tighten up. Plus, there's the whole "I'm in a race" energy to contend with.
A couple of tips:
1. Make absolutely 100% sure that you have those legs pulled up as far as possible. When first putting on the suit, pull the bottom of the legs up about 4-5" above ankle bone, then slowly work those legs up. Make sure you pull the back of the legs up, and don't leave any fabric folds under your bum. Pull the back of the suit up.
2. when putting on sleeves, pull cuffs up about 2" above wrist bones if possible. Reach your arms straight up and grab the catch panel to really pull sleeve all the way up into armpit. A little wrinkle there is a good thing, then you'll have some extra for when you swim.
3. Make sure the back of suit isn't yanking the collar up against your throat. That'll definitely give you breath panic.
4. Before you swim, pull open the neck in front, and let a couple big scoops of water in your suit. That little layer will let you readjust the arms and legs to make sure they're all the way up. Do the hokey pokey and shimmy around to arrange suit, then just open up the ankle and let water out.
5. Practice getting in and out of suit and swimming in it in non race conditions.
6. If neck is just too tight, you can have it altered. If suit is too small, then you might have to exchange it or sell over on ST classifieds and get the next size up.
Feel free to PM me if you need to.

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How cold was the water? Interestingly, cold water in my ears gives me that feeling. Earplugs have cured a lot of it for me.

Good luck and best wishes!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Breathe, breathe, and breathe more! I find most folks who have these issues just do not get enough air.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Shortness of breath from wetsuit?? [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The water wasn't very cold. 70 Fahrenheit I think. I have hyperventilated in very cold water conditions in the past (lake Ontario).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless you are a FOP swimmer pacing and breath control are very important. Likely it is not your wetsuit but how fast you are swimming the first 200-300 meters of the race. A structured training program with a swim team will help build endurance and a sense of pace. And,continuing to race will help you dial in your capabilities as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same thing happen to me this year- I was very calm going into the water, started the swim fine, but very quickly found myself out of rhythm and feeling like I couldn't get enough oxygen. It was St. George and I had raced Oceanside five weeks prior and felt totally comfortable. I contributed it to race jitters, not following my swim plan the two weeks leading into the race, adrenaline and altitude, but maybe my wetsuit had something to do with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had this a couple of times. The first was when I foolishly wore a brand-new speed suit for the first time during the 70.3 world champs. Felt like I was suffocating with my chest being so constricted. I added some stretch panels of lycra about 1" wide either side of the zip and the suit has been fine since.

2nd time was when I hadn't put my my wetsuit on properly and had excess material in the arms, and not enough over the chest. It was a 2 loop swim and at the end of the first loop I unzipped my suit at the back and had a massive improvement.

I'm not discounting the other theories, but I've definitely suffered from chest constriction from a wetsuit or similar in the past.

Cheers, Rich
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi
In 30+ races, it happened to me 3 times, with different wetsuits, but the 2 common factors were
- No warm-up
- Started way too fast
For me water temperature has never been an issue (but perhaps only because I am very cautious not to overswim when it is cold), so I am now extra slow at the start when I can't warm-up.
Quote Reply
Re: Shortness of breath from wetsuit?? [STConcierge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My first post this so hi and thanks for writing this.

I have been doing tri's for a number of years and what you describe has happened on every OW tri this year.
I raced Mallory Park yesterday and had the same issues, shortness of breath and could feel myself fighting for breath. I had to stop breast stroke and get my head in order and then regained control and had a much better swim.

I have had the same suit for 5 years and this is the first year I've had issues. The only thing I've changed maybe was I had a coffee in the morning and a gel an hour before could this making me hyperventilate? Other than that I was thinking the suit coud be the cause or perhaps it could be me that's the issue.

Either way I need to get it sorted for my next race

Rochdale Triathlon Club

Swim / bike / run
Quote Reply