Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shiv Pro Race 1x
Quote | Reply
I purchased a Shiv Pro Race 1x over this off season and have been staring it at on my kickr all winter wondering how am i going to deal with the front derailleur hanger...the season is almost upon us and really want to figure something out. How can i go about removing it without making it impossible to put it back on in the unlikely event i feel the need for a small chaining. My LBS recommended drilling out the rivets and sealing, making it possible to put it back on with larger rivets.

Since the day i received the bike i have been shocked that specialized shipped the 1x setup with a derailleur hanger poking out in the wind like that.

I would appreciate all thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Ryan

2016 Specialized Shiv Pro Race 1x
2015 Specialized Venge
Last edited by: ryryrocco: Mar 14, 16 12:16
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv Pro Race 1x [ryryrocco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's such a minor thing. Forget about it and go ride
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Drill that sucker, be done with it, go 1x and never look back!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could drill it out the rivets. Then cover the holes with tape. Then, if you decide to reattach the hanger, you can use small alloy rivets to mount it again.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you drill out your rivets and remove the FD hanger? How did it go? I have a 1X shiv and it burns my eyes when I look in that area....can hardly stand it!!
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv Pro Race 1x [fastskiguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have not removed the FD hanger.....yet. Maybe after this season. It killing me too.

2015 Specialized Venge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't mind the drilling part but the "might be glued" part worries me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fastskiguy wrote:

Mine was glued. Drill the rivets then take box knife razor (the blade with the metal backing) and set it between the hanger and frame. Tap a few time on the backing part until the blade starts to work under the hanger. Them just slowly work your way around the hanger. Mine popped off no big deal. You can just glue and re-rivet if you ever want to go back to 2x.
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv Pro Race 1x [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks mike. What did you use to fill the holes?

2015 Specialized Venge
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv Pro Race 1x [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
fastskiguy wrote:

Mine was glued. Drill the rivets then take box knife razor (the blade with the metal backing) and set it between the hanger and frame. Tap a few time on the backing part until the blade starts to work under the hanger. Them just slowly work your way around the hanger. Mine popped off no big deal. You can just glue and re-rivet if you ever want to go back to 2x.

Cosmetic Surgery...scheduled for today! Thank you Sir!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did this on my P2C and the only issue I had was with the prying on the FD mount as I was not sure how much effort it would take. It made a snapping sound when I did it so I thought I did some damage. I pulled a little harder and it was all good to go. I have tape over it now and it.

If I want to use it again I will do what people have said and just reattach it with some new rivets and some sort of bonding agent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ryryrocco wrote:
Thanks mike. What did you use to fill the holes?

I generally don't ride in the rain much so I just put tape over area and called it good.

There isn't any paint under the hanger and I figure it would be easier to get the hanger back in the right place if I didn't fill the holes. Something like epoxy would be hard to drill out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fastskiguy wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:
fastskiguy wrote:

Cosmetic Surgery...scheduled for today! Thank you Sir!

How did it go?

2015 Specialized Venge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not bad! Gentle drilling then tap-tap-tap with a window scraper and hammer on the edges and it popped off pretty easily. Covered it up with classy electrical tape.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fastskiguy wrote:
Not bad! Gentle drilling then tap-tap-tap with a window scraper and hammer on the edges and it popped off pretty easily. Covered it up with classy electrical tape.

Looks good. nice work

2015 Specialized Venge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any regrets with going 1x11?
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv Pro Race 1x [CJAC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CJAC wrote:
Any regrets with going 1x11?