Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Shiv + AlphaX Undermount (slammed config)
Quote | Reply
Sharing some photo's of my Shiv + AlphaX undermount set up as I know a few people have been looking for photo's of how this set up looks.

Some details:
Goal was to replace the factory Carbon bars with something that allowed for lower stack (if "low stack" is even a term that should be used when describing a Shiv.) Ultimately a 'win' was lower elbows and higher hands. Anyway, finally went with the AlphaX setup because this keeps things clean and allows for an undermount config

Tririg Alpha X
Tririg Ergo cups
Tririg Omega X(need to swap to non-hanger back plate now that am using the Alpha
Zipp Vuka Evo 110 Extensions
Stock Shiv "aero" topcap

I was originally going to try the tilt kit but it added stack and complexity. Turns out the Evo 110's did the trick for getting my hands higher and everything is comfy, so we will skip the tilt for now. Undermount looks a little goofy and probably isn't as clean as the extension mounts are sitting down in relatively clean air... but i wasn't really going for "what looks good".. needed something that works. My Shiv frame is a M and it is already right on the edge of my stack/reach numbers. It works.. but a S frame would have worked much better.

The only exposed wires/cable is the rear brake cable housing with a single e-tube wire that runs between my junction boxes that jumps from my frame to the Alpha X 'stem'.. I taped these together so they act as one and they stay low and out of the way (the little loop of the etube wire as it goes into the stem in some of the photos is gone now, just had to move things around.) The etube wires from the TT shifters are exposed for about 1" as they exit the rear of the extensions and enter the opening near the pad mounts (there are no holes on the bottom of the Alpha, so I had to run them over the trailing edge to the access hole on top.)

Hardest part of the install was running the cables and fishing wires through the 'basebar' part of the alpha.. just not a lot of clearance and cables seem to only pass through in the widest areas.

Overall it turned out better than I expected and I shed some weight as well as the stock Shiv bar was heavier than I expected. I'm a little lower, a little cleaner, and a little lighter. Hopefully these photo's help anyone who is trying to decide if this will work for their Shiv fit.

Last edited by: gregtay: May 15, 17 10:49
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv + AlphaX Undermount (slammed config) [gregtay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote | Reply

Quote | Reply

Quote | Reply

Quote | Reply

Quote | Reply

Quote | Reply
That build looks sick! Good job!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wow how long did it take u to get that low... that is a sick ride

Follow me on Twitter @CK21TRHC
I use what I love: ISM, Blue70, Trek, FLO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, that looks great. I am in the same boat, size Medium but right on the edge of Medium and Small. And I've got the stock S-works bars too (agree that they feel super heavy).

If possible, can you post a picture of the entire bike from the side, so I can get a better idea of the seat in relation to the bars? Looks like we have about the same amount of seatpost showing from the first pic.

Thx
Last edited by: brianwchan: May 15, 17 11:02
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv + AlphaX Undermount (slammed config) [brianwchan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure, here ya go. This is the old front end but it should give you some idea of my seat height. Used a photo with me in it so you could see I'm ~5'9", I guess I'd say I'm equally proportioned (legs, arms, torso.) This photo was IMAZ in Nov... this winter I switched to the further forward offset seat post to get a little steeper. I raised the seat a hair to keep the BB distance the same as it came forward. Good luck

Last edited by: gregtay: May 15, 17 12:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Greg!

We do indeed have very similar fits (5'9.xx") it seems. Was it difficult to get used to the more forward position after the seatpost swap?
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv + AlphaX Undermount (slammed config) [brianwchan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brianwchan wrote:
Thanks Greg!

We do indeed have very similar fits (5'9.xx") it seems. Was it difficult to get used to the more forward position after the seatpost swap?

Not difficult at all. I was riding out further on the nose of my saddle as I really preferred being steeper. Moving the seat forward a bit allows me to be at a steep angle but sit a little further back on the saddle.

Quote | Reply
Hi, do you miss the upturns at the end of the stock basebar at all? I know people dislike them for various reasons (aesthetics, aero penalty), but I've come to like the ergonomics.

Great setup, thanks for the pics!
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv + AlphaX Undermount (slammed config) [cvcabran] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cvcabran wrote:
Hi, do you miss the upturns at the end of the stock basebar at all? I know people dislike them for various reasons (aesthetics, aero penalty), but I've come to like the ergonomics.

Great setup, thanks for the pics!

Yes, when climbing (which we have a lot of hills in the Seattle area) I miss the upturns but I'm getting used to the straight bars. That's something I was a little worried about and I do miss them but not too big of a deal, I'm sure after a few more rides I won't even know they are gone.

Quote | Reply
Sorry if I missed this - what is the distance from the pad top center to the top of the headset (frame stack)? Difference in pad stack height from old bar to this bar? Thanks

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv + AlphaX Undermount (slammed config) [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll post the full before/after stack/reach numbers from the BB shortly. But basically the total pad stack lowered by ~35mm. There were a few factors contributing to this, first I had Ceegees on the old bars (much thicker than the Tririg pads but honestly the new tririg pads feel about the same comfort-wise) plus I had to run a small/short spacer under the stock stem because without it the stem made contact with the front edge of the frame(brilliant design???). So with the AlphaX I removed that spacer, switch to lower stack pads, and thengained the benifit of the lower Alpha X.

Reach (to pad center) increases slightly (~25mm) but the Tririg pads are 30mm longer so that puts the rear edge of the pad only 10mm further forward.

To answer the question about reach from the headtube... pad center to the head tube center (not top cap screw, but 1/2 down (vertically) (center of the stem mount) is 80mm (that is with the pads in the furthest back position.)

Quote | Reply
How do you run off a setup like this?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweet. Nice. I might need to upgrade my old HED black dog bars on the front. That looks slick.

NCCP certified Comp coach
Quote Reply
Re: Shiv + AlphaX Undermount (slammed config) [Brett runs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brett runs wrote:

Why would that be a problem for him? That really isn't all that big of a drop from the seat to the pads, the Shiv is a super high stack bike. I think it's a myth that you have to have a really upright position in order to run well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brett runs wrote:

Well i try (sometimes unsuccessfully) to put one foot in front of the other as fast as I can (which usually isn't all that fast but it has nothing to do with my bike fit!) Not sure what you mean... This is not an aggressive or "super low" position.. probably one of the more relaxed positions (and non-aero as my chest is pretty exposed) comparted to the guys I am racing with. The Shiv has very high frame stack, I'm 5'9" on a M sized frame which works but only as the extreme lower limits of stack/reach. Here is a photo of me on the bike with the stock Shiv bars at their lowest stack... i'm not that low or aggressive. The new Alpha X allowed me to come down 30mm.. so even with that change I am still not that aggressive.

Last edited by: gregtay: May 17, 17 8:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gregtay wrote:
Brett runs wrote:

Well i try (sometimes unsuccessfully) to put one foot in front of the other as fast as I can (which usually isn't all that fast but it has nothing to do with my bike fit!) Not sure what you mean... This is not an aggressive or "super low" position.. probably one of the more relaxed positions (and non-aero as my chest is pretty exposed) comparted to the guys I am racing with. The Shiv has very high frame stack, I'm 5'9" on a M sized frame which works but only as the extreme lower limits of stack/reach. Here is a photo of me on the bike with the stock Shiv bars at their lowest stack... i'm not that low or aggressive. The new Alpha X allowed me to come down 30mm.. so even with that change I am still not that aggressive.

Sorry didn't mean for it to come across as an aggressive question I was interested to know. I have a mate here in aus who has his shiv slammed and looks great on the bike. Meanwhile I just had the alpha bars installed on my medium and used every spacer given to me. I think your bike looks great i was just curious that's all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No worries. I am guessing you are taller and your seat is significantly higher than mine. If I had a S or XS frame then I am sure I would have needed some spacers just like you did. How do you like the Alpha X? Any issues?

Quote | Reply
Nice setup! I am considering doing the same in mine.
Question: what is your go-to BTA /bike computer solution for this setup?

Sr. Salitre
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gregtay wrote:
No worries. I am guessing you are taller and your seat is significantly higher than mine. If I had a S or XS frame then I am sure I would have needed some spacers just like you did. How do you like the Alpha X? Any issues?

I love them. Couldn't get the zipp bars through the holders originally but nothing a light sand didn't fix. I was really impressed with the fit guide and being able to match my old position straight up without the need for another fit.
Quote Reply

Prev Next