Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Shit swimmers do........ Wow!
Quote | Reply
Pretty incredible training stuff.....

At the AM practice, nearly everyone was using pullies, with different sets specificed to their training needs. Watch the video!
Quote Reply
Re: Shit swimmers do........ Wow! [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow... just... wow...

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Coley Stickels is their new sprint coach. Highly regarded.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's pretty cool. I wonder what the reduction ratio is on the pulleys, or if it's 1:1.

Any IU peeps know?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think that most people realize how long college swim season actually is. We got in the water within the first week on campus, basically mid-August. Meets started sometime in late Sept- early Oct and continued through March. That's roughly 2-4 hours per day (depending on the schedule, if you had 1 or 2 practices that day) times 6 days per week for 6+ months. Coaches have to find something to break the monotony and keep practices from going stale. We experimented a lot with a plethora of ideas. Tethered swimming. Parachute swimming. Tie a bucket to your waist swimming. Have someone grab your ankles swimming. No actual swimming, only vertical kick sets in the deep end swimming. It goes on.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Shit swimmers do........ Wow! [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tying your ankles to a team mate's and swim in opposite directions until somebody reaches a wall. Nothing like swimming backwards!

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:

At the AM practice, nearly everyone was using pullies, with different sets specificed to their training needs. Watch the video!

You need a comma in the title, I read it a different way and thought you were speaking directly to me ;)

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Shit swimmers do........ Wow! [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
ggeiger wrote:

You need a comma in the title, I read it a different way and thought you were speaking directly to me ;)

Title should be "the shit swimmers do". You read it as "shitty swimmers do....."

;-)

ETA - hope that didn't come across the wrong way. I jest.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Dec 20, 17 4:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Tethered swimming. Parachute swimming. Tie a bucket to your waist swimming. Have someone grab your ankles swimming. No actual swimming, only vertical kick sets in the deep end swimming. It goes on"

2 hour water polo session, boys versus girls. Boys wore t-shirt, shorts, socks, tennis shoes. Girls wore flippers. Girls won (pommelled boys) every time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This seems to be all the rage these days. Here is a commercial version

http://www.tpiswim.com/power-tower
Quote Reply
Re: Shit swimmers do........ Wow! [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Coley must be Ted Stickels kid? The Indiana connection is pretty strong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've always wanted to try those.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
(Quote) "I don't think that most people realize how long college swim season actually is. We got in the water within the first week on campus, basically mid-August. Meets started sometime in late Sept- early Oct and continued through March. That's roughly 2-4 hours per day (depending on the schedule, if you had 1 or 2 practices that day) times 6 days per week for 6+ months." (Quote)

Actually, you're neglecting the fact that most D1 swimmers swim year-round, with maybe 2 weeks total off per year, e.g. they're swimming with a USAS club team during the "off-season" from college swimming. Only non-serious college swimmers swim 6-7 months/year. Regardless though, your point is well taken that swimmers need to do something outside traditional swim workouts just to keep their workouts quasi-fresh.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Shit swimmers do........ Wow! [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
75' pool. Wouldn't a 1:1 ratio mean they'd have to pull the stack 75' (- the distance from bench to pool) up?
Quote Reply
Re: Shit swimmers do........ Wow! [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, so unless the ceiling is 75' high there must be some kind of a reduction ratio going on?

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yup, I used to swim against this machine that would actively pull against you while you went forward. My favorite was when I would swim with it and how good it felt to go faster than I was!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I got on a swim team that tied us to the side with surgical tubing, my performances improved dramatically. We learned how many times each of us could wrap the tubing around the dive blocks to shorten them, making them harder. And then the goal was to try to swim to the other side. If you got it right, you were holding a maximum sprint for quite a while trying to just move one inch and grab the far wall.

For people that want to play with resistance but don't want to deal with all that pulley stuff, just order a drag chute off of Finis. They are around 20 to 30 bucks and work great. And they nearly double the effective length of your pool since you spend a lot more time swimming between turns.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe I missed it, did they show the 1 hr continuous swim group? Certainly had to be a large number of swimmers in that group.
Last edited by: turningscrews: Dec 21, 17 15:54
Quote Reply
Re: Shit swimmers do........ Wow! [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably not too many. The only real distance event is the 1650; I suspect the 500 freestylers swim as a mid distance group with the 200 swimmers. Much more similarity between the 200 and 500 than there is between the 500 and 1650.
Quote Reply
Re: Shit swimmers do........ Wow! [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
For people that want to play with resistance but don't want to deal with all that pulley stuff, just order a drag chute off of Finis. They are around 20 to 30 bucks and work great. And they nearly double the effective length of your pool since you spend a lot more time swimming between turns.

And I'll add, don't act all ballsey & get the big chutes, using them is like swimming in quick sand even for proficient swimmers; the small chutes will provide more than enough resistance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turningscrews wrote:
Maybe I missed it, did they show the 1 hr continuous swim group? Certainly had to be a large number of swimmers in that group.

You're just messing with people now.

We didn't use pulleys, but we did use surgical tubing. So much relief to touch that wall and zoom back.
Good for overspeed training. We were low budget.
Quote Reply
Re: Shit swimmers do........ Wow! [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rumpled wrote:
turningscrews wrote:

We didn't use pulleys, but we did use surgical tubing. So much relief to touch that wall and zoom back.

They are messing with themselves.

We used surgical tubing too. Colanders. Pulling a teamate. But mostly we swam lots & we swam lots fast. I do remember some bigger schools having pulleys in the mid 90's.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turningscrews wrote:
Rumpled wrote:
turningscrews wrote:

They are messing with themselves.

We used surgical tubing too. Colanders. Pulling a teammate. But mostly we swam lots & we swam lots fast. I do remember some bigger schools having pulleys in the mid 90's.

Reminds me of Eddie Merckx's response to a question on how he became the best cyclist in the world: "Ride lots!!!"

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Shit swimmers do........ Wow! [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Reminds me of Eddie Merckx's response to a question on how he became the best cyclist in the world: "Ride lots!!!"

If you can't dodge a wrench you can't dodge a ball!
Quote Reply
Re: Shit swimmers do........ Wow! [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
That's pretty cool. I wonder what the reduction ratio is on the pulleys, or if it's 1:1.

Any IU peeps know?
Looks like 8:1. Just count the number of ropes on the blocks.
Quote Reply

Prev Next