Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Shingles
Quote | Reply
I have been grounded with shingles after overseas 70.3. Have done three other full/half races this year without any problems, but think that the stress of international travel (12+ hours each way) may have done me in on this one. Hope none of you ever have to experience this. Lesson learned: rest after the race may be more important than tapering before!
Quote Reply
Re: Shingles [hotdoggg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hotdoggg wrote:
I have been grounded with shingles after overseas 70.3. Have done three other full/half races this year without any problems, but think that the stress of international travel (12+ hours each way) may have done me in on this one. Hope none of you ever have to experience this. Lesson learned: rest after the race may be more important than tapering before!

That SUCKS.
Hope you are getting good treatments for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a vaccine.
You can have shingles multiple times.
Even after having the vaccine it is still possible (although muted).
Up here it's free, down there maybe not.
Either way, get vaccinated,
(unless you're Jenny McCarthy in which case it's just gonna hurt)
Quote Reply
Re: Shingles [phog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had shingles last year. Got a really bad cold, had crap going on at work causing me stress and was in bed for almost a week with the cold. I seldom get sick. When I felt better, I started training again and noticed some patchy red spots on a couple places on my body. Didn't think anything of it at first but then another patch popped up. Went to the Dr. and found out it was shingles. Never really had any affect on me until night time. For some reason, whenever I went to bed I would get a slight burning sensation. Nothing bad. Took big ass pills I could barely swallow for 10 days and cleared it up. Good luck and hope it's not painful. I was lucky.
Last edited by: maddog95835: Nov 15, 14 12:28
Quote Reply
Re: Shingles [phog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
phog wrote:
There's a vaccine.

The vaccine is not currently recommended for people under 55, but I am sure if you are willing to pay for it, they will allow you to have it. Insurance still doesn't cover the vaccine for those over 55 very well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope you feel better real soon, not fun from what I've heard/seen. I just got vaccinated a week ago myself. I know it's not a guarantee, but sounds like it improves the odds and helps cut down on the seriousness if you do get it.
Quote Reply
Re: Shingles [Allie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Allie wrote:
phog wrote:
There's a vaccine.

The vaccine is not currently recommended for people under 55, but I am sure if you are willing to pay for it, they will allow you to have it. Insurance still doesn't cover the vaccine for those over 55 very well.

Even though not recommended for folks under 55, I got one under 55. No way is the risk of getting shingles worth not pushing the system. My insurance paid for it.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Shingles [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Allie wrote:
phog wrote:
There's a vaccine.

Even though not recommended for folks under 55, I got one under 55. No way is the risk of getting shingles worth not pushing the system. My insurance paid for it.

I don't disagree with you at all. I am impressed they covered it. I will pay for mine in cash.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got shingles the year after I was diagnosed with T1D and though the diabetes made/makes me more susceptible to outbreaks, I believe the stress of racing that season also played a major factor. Rest up and I hope you get better soon!
Quote Reply
Re: Shingles [maddog95835] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had shingles this year due to work stress.

I took regular pain relievers before bed a few times - aspirin I think - but other than that did nothing. I think I had a pretty mild case but it was quite painful for about 10 days.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had it last year on my scalp. Lived on very potent pain killers for about 3 weeks (the only way I could sleep). Out of the pool for over a month. The lesions were really gross to look at - no way they'd let me in the pool. Besides I felt like crap. Not as bad as kidney stones, but still a nasty way to spend a few weeks. Took about five weeks before I could even think about working out. It probably didn't help that I was 68 at the time...
Get the vaccine.

Remember Luddites are people too...
Quote Reply
Re: Shingles [Allie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Allie wrote:
phog wrote:
There's a vaccine.

ACIP recommends it for people 60 and up. Merck has an indication for 50 and up. Of course you can get it under 50 if your doc writes a script for it, or administers it in office.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Shingles [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
Allie wrote:
phog wrote:
There's a vaccine.

ACIP recommends it for people 60 and up. Merck has an indication for 50 and up. Of course you can get it under 50 if your doc writes a script for it, or administers it in office.

Yeah, we typically get a lot of Medicare patients and for whatever reason our office doesn't keep it (my guess is cost), so I will write for it and they will get it at a pharmacy typically.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a published paper on non-pharm treatment for shingles. We use this technology at the office and have had good results with the shingles treatment protocol. PM if you have questions. There may be a provider in your area. Good luck.

https://www.frequencyspecific.com/...iles/ShinglesPPM.pdf

Mike

Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately, I also have experienced shingles primarily due to stress and lack of sleep. Unlike most of the responders, my pain lingered at a fairly intense level for about 3 weeks and then diminished to a more bearable level. The lesions were on my left arm and shoulder. I lost 30% of the strength in my left arm (and I am left handed) for approximately three months after the lesions disappeared. I have reduced my stress considerably and try to get regular good sleep. Hopefully, it will not come back as the discomfort was miserable to say the least.

Dean Wilson
http://www.anaerobiczone.com
Bicycle Protection Indoors & Out
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am one of the very rare I suppose that experienced shingles in my late 20's. Something that I hope never to experience again even though it lasted about a week for the most intense pain and the rash finally went away after a couple weeks. Now in my early 50's I am probably going to get the vaccination soon. Most of my local pharmacies advertise it in their minute clinics and I think out of pocket cost is about $230, which IMO is well worth the money if it reduces the chance or reduces the intensity.

I have a coworker (in his 60's) that got a severe case of it earlier this year and was out of work for almost a month. Even when he came back the rash was on most of his face and his eyes looked messed up. I can't imagine what he looked or felt like during the most intense part. He said the worse thing and what kept him from coming to work was not being able to sleep at night. Crazy thing was I was talking to him about getting the vaccine just weeks before he came down with it.
Quote Reply
Re: Shingles [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just never understand why so many just never seem to find the time to get the various medical tests, vaccines, etc. that are out there and can either save ones life or avoid pain like shingles gives you.

How many older folks have never gotten a stress test? Another test than everyone in our sport should have, IMO, at least every 5 years or sooner if issues. I had one at 50, then 55, and plan to have one at 60
even if I have no issues.

Why not be proactive with protecting ones body?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got shingles in the lead up training to IMLP in 2012.
It was the worst. Lesions covered my mid section. In was unable to sleep. I couldn't swim, bike or run for 3 weeks or so.
On the pain register of my career of "pains"
Kidney stone was first.
Chest tube after bike crash came in second.
PE
Shingles.
Broken ribs
Quote Reply
Re: Shingles [Louamerica] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What pain does a PE cause?

Proud Representative of Slowtwitch Anti-Atheists Society.
Quote Reply
Re: Shingles [Iamironman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Iamironman wrote:
What pain does a PE cause?

Imagine getting hit in the chest with a bat. Also, it hurts to breathe.
If that kind of pain doesn't bother you, you could die.
Get that checked out ASAP. Too many of us endurance athletes suffer and die, because we are Iron fit.
Quote Reply
Re: Shingles [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
I just never understand why so many just never seem to find the time to get the various medical tests, vaccines, etc. that are out there and can either save ones life or avoid pain like shingles gives you.

How many older folks have never gotten a stress test? Another test than everyone in our sport should have, IMO, at least every 5 years or sooner if issues. I had one at 50, then 55, and plan to have one at 60
even if I have no issues.

Why not be proactive with protecting ones body?

Absolutely be proactive with protecting your body. But a stress test is pretty worthless as far as that goes. A test that hardly anybody should have. You might want to look into the data regarding the "various medical tests, vaccines, etc. that are out there."

Shingles vaccine has pretty limited utility as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Shingles [brentl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1

Stress test has very poor performance characteristics, especially in an asymptomatic population.

Take advice on this kind of stuff from your physician, not an internet forum.
Quote Reply
Re: Shingles [Drdan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got shingles this week, after ramping up my training since January for IMTX. It doesn't hurt a lot, but is uncomfortable. I cut back to only cycling, and can still ride hard. I am resting more and getting more sleep. I doubt I will do IMTX, sadly I didn't buy the insurance. I did it in 2011 and 2012, so I know what fun I am missing. I turn 55 this year, btw.
Quote Reply
Re: Shingles [brentl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Absolutely be proactive with protecting your body. But a stress test is pretty worthless as far as that goes. A test that hardly anybody should have. You might want to look into the data regarding the "various medical tests, vaccines, etc. that are out there."

Shingles vaccine has pretty limited utility as well.
---------
Gotta agree on the stress test. I've had three and anyone who runs it's kind of a joke. With my first one after several min the doc asked how I felt, my reply doc if you give me food and water I could run at this pace for 6 hrs...he said turn it off.

As for the shingles vaccine I got it hoping if I do get shingles it will be a milder case.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply

Prev Next