Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shimano electronic shifting for tri - Next Evolution
Quote | Reply
Was reading Dan's article then was over on WW and seeing some modifications being done there to a TT set-up and thought I would post the pictures here to see what can be done with some thinking outside the Shimano box. This is the best modification that I have seen at this point. The link to the thread is below. I just thought it would be interesting over here to see what is possible. I would have had bullet shaped barend plug for the aerobars designed and not flat but it is still way cool.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/...php?f=10&t=87102

Last edited by: BMANX: May 18, 11 14:00
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano electronic shifting for tri - Next Evolution [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very cool, now if we could just get rid of the exposed wires. Not as in wireless but in a fashion where everything communicated via contact points on the frame. IE handlebar makes contact to stem that internally makes contacts with the battery, derailleurs ect. Thats where it needs to go next. Fully integrated Di2 :)

-----------------------------------------
Donate now to the war on ALS
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano electronic shifting for tri - Next Evolution [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
very interesting thanks for posting

Follow me on Twitter @CK21TRHC
I use what I love: ISM, Blue70, Trek, FLO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kudos to the macguyver who rigged that up - it looks sweet. but the fact is that i need electronic shifters like i need an asshole on my forehead. STI's working pretty great for me, all these years later, and still doing so well south of the price of a used hatchback. it's also something i can fix myself, without a motherboard or a soldering iron, and neither prone to running out of power (WTF?) nor short-circuiting. none of which can be said for electro shifting, which, though very cool, i still place waaaay in the middle of the "Solution To A Problem That Never Existed" camp.

-mike

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Last edited by: iron_mike: May 18, 11 14:27
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano electronic shifting for tri - Next Evolution [RACERX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have not seen it to that point but I have seen a road bike and mtb bike with full integration with no visible wires except where they connect to the derailleurs.
Last edited by: BMANX: May 18, 11 14:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BMANX wrote:
Was reading Dan's article then was over on WW and seeing some modifications being done there to a TT set-up and thought I would post the pictures here to see what can be done with some thinking outside the Shimano box. This is the best modification that I have seen at this point. The link to the thread is below. I just thought it would be interesting over here to see what is possible. I would have had bullet shaped barend plug for the aerobars designed and not flat but it is still way cool.

Bullet shaped would be cool ----- or to mount it to something other than an aerobar from 1999

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano electronic shifting for tri - Next Evolution [jeremyb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
C3 bar so not quite 1999
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BMANX wrote:
I have not seen it to that point but I have seen a road bike and mtb bike with full integration with no visible wires except where they connect to the derailleurs.

If shimano and the bike manufactures can work together to come up with some standards I see no reason what a fully integrated solution isn't possiable. Only time will tell.

-----------------------------------------
Donate now to the war on ALS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

nice looking build until they added shitty wheels, the aero abomination speedfil, and dated extensions.
Last edited by: SeasonsChange: May 18, 11 14:28
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano electronic shifting for tri - Next Evolution [SeasonsChange] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Such a strange build. Di2, Rotor, simkins brakes and is that an SRM? All on an open mold frame with Chinese wheels and a crummy aerobar?

The components cost 5x what the frame and wheels do.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano electronic shifting for tri - Next Evolution [Lou3000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power2Max, not SRM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While my brain is still overloaded with boredom, let's overthink this idea to an extreme: add a strain gauge to the brake levers and extension end caps. They sense lateral force and shift accordingly. Press harder and it jumps more gears. All parameters set by user prefs - adjusted by plugging a device into a mini USB on the battery box.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano electronic shifting for tri - Next Evolution [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I need electronic shifters like i need an asshole on my forehead. "

This will now be placed on my go-to list of catch phrases. Also on the list is (insert activity) was like a monkey humping a football....

Bob

Quote Reply
Re: Shimano electronic shifting for tri - Next Evolution [Lou3000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
agreed, that is a random build up of parts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lou3000 wrote:
Such a strange build. Di2, Rotor, simkins brakes and is that an SRM? All on an open mold frame with Chinese wheels and a crummy aerobar?

The components cost 5x what the frame and wheels do.

You think so? Here is my build (I would post a pic, but, I am out-of-town right now):

Planet X Stealth
Di2
SRAM Red Cranks w/ Quarq
Garmin 800
Zipp Vuka
SRAM Red Brakes
Zipp 808 front
Zipp 1080 rear

Did that dude paint an open mold or did he paint a Planet X Exocet?

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano electronic shifting for tri - Next Evolution [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Did that dude paint an open mold or did he paint a Planet X Exocet?

Definitely an Exocet, or the same mold (I have one sitting in my room right now to compare). I haven't seen that offered as an open mold yet, but I haven't exactly looked too hard either.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano electronic shifting for tri - Next Evolution [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, but the frame isn't as weird of a choice as the wheelset. I would spend my money on proven aero parts (like your Zipp wheels) before I went with Di2.

I'm not saying anything about planet X or open mold frames (I'm actually a believer that fit and rider position will always trump the most aero frame on the market). I'm questioning the logic of spending money on Di2 before wheels and frame.

Regardless, I'm glad someone posted this, I've wanted to see those 3T levers as they would complement my aura bar nicely.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello,

Super bike, I like this frame same Planet Exocet.
Where is buy this frame ?

Thank you

Best regards

BMANX wrote:

Quote Reply
Re: Shimano electronic shifting for tri - Next Evolution [SeasonsChange] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SeasonsChange wrote:

nice looking build until they added shitty wheels, the aero abomination speedfil, and dated extensions.

I love when someone on another message board replied that their speedfill was the most aero "BTA" option because it was on the frame. I bet 2 standard frame bottles + 1 hand-up is at least 2-3 minutes faster in a IM than that monster. They could at least make the leading and trailing edge just a little aero couldn't they? It's like a 3" wide block. Yikes.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano electronic shifting for tri - Next Evolution [ulars4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ulars,

I see that this is your first post so welcome to ST. Did you know that responded to a thread that is more than 3 years old? Just saying.

.........................__0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano electronic shifting for tri - Next Evolution [paxfobiscum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ROBOT!!!
Quote Reply