Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shimano di2 10 speed help
Quote | Reply
I'm having issues with my di2. When I shift into the largest cog on the rear it shifts fine but then about ten seconds later it shifts back down. Everything else shifts fine and I just updated all the firmware with no issues. The limit screws are perfect. It's a used rear that I bought of eBay because I'm still running ten speed. Any ideas?
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano di2 10 speed help [sixironman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check rear derailleur hanger alignment.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano di2 10 speed help [goodboyr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The alignment is right. It worked perfect before I swapped the rear to my Tt bike and put this one on. Like I said, it shifts into the 27 fine but then shifts down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Low limit screw too tight
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to be pedantic, but unless you verify alignment with an alignment tool, you can't be sure. The act of changing rd's could have moved the dropout.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll check the alignment and the low limit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I realized that I wasn't perfectly clear. When it shifts 10 seconds later, it's an actual shift. Not just the chain jumping off, but a perfect shift to the next smaller cog.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have an 11 speed cassette body? If so, you need the 10 speed spacer.

Also, on the 11 speed rear der, it will hyper shift the last cog, then move down a little after 10 seconds or so. It does the same thing with the smallest cog, but moves up. It's to make sure that it gets in to the cog, and adjusts so that it is better alignment. I believe it does this because there is often so much load on the chain in these gears.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano di2 10 speed help [Bogusdogs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
10 speed body. It doesn't have anything to do with the wheel or cassette because I even put a wheel on with no cassette and went through the shifting. It still does the downshift.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would suggest, as others said too, to make sure the rear der hanger isn't bent. A shop would have to check that.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano di2 10 speed help [Bogusdogs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a new hanger. And it doesn't seem to be an alignment issue. Like I said, it does the shift even without a wheel. It seems to be an electronic issue more than an old fashioned adjustment issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Every new hanger I've ever installed has needed an alignment. The interface between the frame and the hanger is never perfect. I urge you to get an alignment tool (for example the park dag-2) and check this. Never assume it's good. Di2 is particularly sensitive to alignment issues. Why is there a new hanger?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good question. I changed it because I was having trouble getting the shifting perfect and that did help. No crash or anything. I'll take it and have someone look at it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you shift into the large cog then pull the shifter button plug(s)? - Just to rule out switch debounce issue.

Also shift into the large cog then pull the battery - to rule out electronic vs something mechanical

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano di2 10 speed help [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I pulled the plug after shifting and then it stays in the largest cog. Actually it didn't even change when I plugged it back in. But then after shifting down and back it does it. That's how I know it's not an alignment or adjustment thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pulled what plug?

A) Main trunk cable to headset?
b) Shifter button(s), RD only?
c) battery from holder?

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you tried winding out the limit screw? Maybe the the RD is feeling a bit of resistance when it shifts into the largest cog against the limit screw and then 'decides' it's not right and down shifts. Maybe give the RD a thorough clean in case a bit of grit has got stuck somewhere.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano di2 10 speed help [Nobbie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is nothing that functions like that on di2. It's either properly aligned or not. As others have said, this is either limit adjustment off or hanger alignment. Nothing you have done here has ruled either of these out. There are no "smarts" in the Rd that decide what to do.
If you wind the limit out by one turn does this change the behaviour?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With rear mech cable out-doesn't do it. Any other disconnect battery,shifter, junction box-still does it. I'll play with the limits. It's a powered shift. I can hear the motor when it changes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I appreciate all the help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Something I did fixed it. I played with the b limit and low and high limits. I'm thinking the upper jockey wheel was too close and it recognized that and shifted. Again, thank you for the thoughts.
Quote Reply