Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shimano crank recall question
Quote | Reply
My Ultegra cranks were just replaced by my LBS under the recall and I noticed they product number on the cranks is FC-08. I have never seen this product number before and can't find anything on it on line other than some mention about Stages power meter cranks. Anyone have any idea if this is some one off by Shimano for the recall?
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano crank recall question [TriMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They have unique product codes because they are essentially 12sp cranksets with 11sp chainrings. The rings are designed specifically for this recall.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
did they find something on your replaced cranks? or they just replaced them.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano crank recall question [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks...figured something like that. Was just curious in event I want to upgrade to12sp at some point.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano crank recall question [Bypasskid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LBS head wrench said my cranks had "an issue" so sent back to Shimano who replaced them with these new ones. I will say the new ones look very nice.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano crank recall question [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
They have unique product codes because they are essentially 12sp cranksets with 11sp chainrings. The rings are designed specifically for this recall.
Do the existing 11 speed chainrings fit these cranks?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shimano response to question, so if I my crank is considered fine after visual inspection and it subsequently fails causing significant injury, what is Shimano position on that.

The Shimano representative said that's your problem, I asked what if I die as a result of the failure, they said that is my risk to take.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano crank recall question [stevie g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lol

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriMike wrote:
LBS head wrench said my cranks had "an issue" so sent back to Shimano who replaced them with these new ones. I will say the new ones look very nice.
The mechanic that I work with indicated that it's likely that ALL 11-speed Ultregra and DA cranks will be included in the recall. He's warranty-replaced several that are outside of the stated recall but had the exact same issue.

Janyne
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I took 3 sets of cranks in for inspection, and the mechanic called me an hour later saying they're all clear. Also said that they have inspected 50+ cranks with no issues...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevie g wrote:
The Shimano representative said that's your problem, I asked what if I die as a result of the failure, they said that is my risk to take.

Get that in writing from the rep lol.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

When you say "Shimano representative", what do you mean? Was this an actual Shimano employee?

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano crank recall question [moonmonkey02] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
moonmonkey02 wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:

This is what I want to know! I want to buy someone’s recalled crankset but I have 55t-42t DA chain rings I want to put on this one with chainrings for a child. But before I purchase, I need to know if my old 55t big boy chain ring will fit on these recall issued cranks.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano crank recall question [norbertIII] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
norbertIII wrote:
moonmonkey02 wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:

This is what I want to know! I want to buy someone’s recalled crankset but I have 55t-42t DA chain rings I want to put on this one with chainrings for a child. But before I purchase, I need to know if my old 55t big boy chain ring will fit on these recall issued cranks.

No, existing 9000 rings won’t fit. Only the rings supplied will fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for reminding me. I have an 11sp Ultegra I think 6800 on the road bike. Def recalled. The crankarms look glued to the spider.

Did we have a discussion about how boneheaded of a design that was? Glue bonding on a mass-produced part that is exposed to elements, is often expected to last many many years, and is subject to high dynamic loads?
Quote Reply