Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Shimano Ultegra 6600 Hub 11-Speed Conversion
Quote | Reply
I know this is an OLD topic and much talked about but Google is failing me here. I have converted several 10-speed-only hubs to 11-speed by grinding down the freehub body by ~1.85mm but on Shimano hubs that will not work.

I have seen a mod where people (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cazQt5oleo4) take some material off the back of the cassette body, but no one has confirmed that this will work without interfering with the spokes. I have a couple of CX wheels that I would like to use, and before I bust out the grinder.......or rebuild the rear wheels with new hubs I thought it would be worth asking.

I have Shimano Ultegra 6600 hubs laced up with traditional J-bend spokes. Looking to run an 11-28 casette....
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Ultegra 6600 Hub 11-Speed Conversion [atc134] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I looked into awhile back with 7900 hubs and used this as a reference
http://benmanson.com/...to_11/7900_to_11.htm
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Ultegra 6600 Hub 11-Speed Conversion [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't grind down the hub shell on 6600 hubs so that solution is out.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it's not going to work. the 6600 hub is a 10s only hub. by grinding a 11s cassette you can make it 9s wide which is WIDER than 10s: it will go on 8-9-10s hubs (such as 7900's, older zipp's etc.), but not on 10s (6600's, 7800's...)
Last edited by: jollyroger88: Oct 26, 17 7:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
atc134 wrote:
Can't grind down the hub shell on 6600 hubs so that solution is out.....

Grind down the back of the cassette with a lathe!

This is what you want to do (the logic is laid out in the first 4 min, and they get to the actual lathe part at ~4:20)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cazQt5oleo4

edit: I see you already have seen this. I've used this approach to great success with a Renn Disc wheel.
Last edited by: beston: Oct 26, 17 7:56
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Ultegra 6600 Hub 11-Speed Conversion [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
" by grinding a 11s cassette you can make it 9s wide which is WIDER than 10s"

HUH?
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Ultegra 6600 Hub 11-Speed Conversion [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep beston that is the solution I am proposing......I am just concerned that the 28t cog will run into the spokes if I use a lathe to remove 1.85mm of material from the cassette "carrier"....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
11s cogset is wider than 9s; 9s is WIDER than 10s

if you remove 1.85mm from a 11s cogset it becomes as wide as a 9s

BUT

it will not fit on the 6600 hub

BECAUSE

the 6600 hub can accomodate ONLY 10s cogsets (that are narrower than 9s)

a "machined" 11s cogset will instead fit on so called 8-9-10s hubs (i.e. 7900s)

hope it's clearer now
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really you couldn't use a 9speed cassette on a 6600 hub? Guess I am stuck rebuilding, or doing the cog-omission trick......

#shimanoweirdness
Last edited by: atc134: Oct 26, 17 8:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There several approaches out there. If it helps, we have listed some of the simplest and lowest cost options here:

http://darkspeedworks.com/blog-11speed.htm

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Ultegra 6600 Hub 11-Speed Conversion [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks DarkSpeedWorks

I have been to your site and it was super helpful. We are just trying to hammer out whether a 6600 hub will worth with the Lasco Concepts solution you outlined.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jollyroger88 wrote:

BUT

BECAUSE

hope it's clearer now

Unfortunately, much of this above is incorrect.

Before 11-speed, (for shimano) nearly ALL 8/9/10 speed hubs could accept ANY 8-speed, 9-speed, 10-speed cassette in any combination. (Yes, 10-speed cassettes included a tiny spacer that was required to be used all of these standard hubs.) The only except to this were some now somewhat rare shimano proprietary hubs.

A shimano 6600 hub WILL accept 11-speed modified cassettes.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Oct 26, 17 8:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To be honest, I have only experience with the dura ace 7800 rear hub and it was "10s only"; a couple of years later it was replaced by the 7850, which was 8-9-10s. I believe that the 6600's (Ultegra) implemented the same technology of the 7800's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
atc134 wrote:
Thanks DarkSpeedWorks

I have been to your site and it was super helpful. We are just trying to hammer out whether a 6600 hub will worth with the Lasco Concepts solution you outlined.

No worries, a standard shimano 6600 rear hub WILL indeed accept properly modified 11-speed shimano cassettes as long as the largest cog is 25T or larger.

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stop the press! Ultegra 8000 cassettes WILL FIT on a 10 speed freehub with NO MODIFICATIONS:

I saw this in the comments section of the video that you linked to:
"You have probably heard, but Shimano's nextgen Ultegra (8000?) comes with the option of 11 speed-fits-on 10 speed cassette."

To follow up on this, I notice that a spacer is now used on 8000cassettes to install on a 11 speed hubs. Contrast this with longer 6800 cassettes that don't require spacers. The width of the spacer used with the 8000 cassettes is exactly the same difference between the width of a 10s to 11s freehub body (1.85mm).

https://www.excelsports.com/...major=1&minor=10
"1.85mm spacer is used when installing on 11-spd Shimano-type road hub"
Last edited by: beston: Oct 26, 17 8:30
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Ultegra 6600 Hub 11-Speed Conversion [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
jollyroger88 wrote:

BUT

BECAUSE

hope it's clearer now

Unfortunately, much of this above is incorrect.

Before 11-speed, (for shimano) nearly ALL 8/9/10 speed hubs could accept ANY 8-speed, 9-speed, 10-speed cassette in any combination. (Yes, 10-speed cassettes included a tiny spacer that was required to be used all of these standard hubs.) The only except to this were some very rare pre-built wheels from shimano that used some no longer manufactured rare shimano proprietary hubs.

A shimano 6600 hub WILL accept 11-speed modified cassettes.

I've had a dura ace 7800 32-hole rear hub and it accepted 10s cassettes ONLY. It was later replaced by the 7850, that was 8-9-10s compatible, as far as I know
Unless you're telling me that my hub was some kind of prototype gone onto the market by mistake
Last edited by: jollyroger88: Oct 26, 17 8:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wow, that's great news
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, you are correct. I was mistaken, I forgot to say there were also some now somewhat rare dura ace hubs that also only accepted shimano 10 speed cassettes.

But those hubs (and the shimano prebuilt wheels, the rear hubs looked like the photo below) were the only exception to what I wrote. But thanks for clarifying this.

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does not appear that this is confirmed to have worked, and I haven't found a picture of the backside of the R8000 cassette to confirm that is has some material removed, or at least a dish but it sounds like a slam dunk......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
beston wrote:
Stop the press! Ultegra 8000 cassettes WILL FIT on a 10 speed freehub with NO MODIFICATIONS:

I saw this in the comments section of the video that you linked to:
"You have probably heard, but Shimano's nextgen Ultegra (8000?) comes with the option of 11 speed-fits-on 10 speed cassette."

To follow up on this, I notice that a spacer is now used on 8000cassettes to install on a 11 speed hubs. Contrast this with longer 6800 cassettes that don't require spacers. The width of the spacer used with the 8000 cassettes is exactly the same difference between the width of a 10s to 11s freehub body (1.85mm).

https://www.excelsports.com/...major=1&minor=10
"1.85mm spacer is used when installing on 11-spd Shimano-type road hub"

Unfortunately, this is also incorrect.

ONLY the 11-34 cassette will fit 8/9/10-speed hubs without modification (to use this cassette on an 11-speed hub, you just use the included spacer).

All of the other 8000 series cassette sizes (25T, 28T, 30T, 32T) will only fit on 11-speed hubs.

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Oct 26, 17 8:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
atc134 wrote:
Does not appear that this is confirmed to have worked, and I haven't found a picture of the backside of the R8000 cassette to confirm that is has some material removed, or at least a dish but it sounds like a slam dunk......

Yup, because it's not correct, see my post above ...

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The notes on the Ultegra 8000 10 speed compatible cassette can be confusing, but if you look around at the various sources, it will help clear up that this configuration is only used with the new 11-34 cassette. Shimano is so conservative that they are only allowing this for this cassette with the huge (for road) 34 tooth inner cog which should clear all spoked wheels behind this big cog.

I just installed one of these on my 11 speed gravel bike with the spacer.

Edit: DSW typed up this same info while I was pecking away on the iPad!
Last edited by: SummitAK: Oct 26, 17 8:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it sounded too good to be true
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jollyroger88 wrote:
it sounded too good to be true

Yup, exactly. Because 11-34T is way too huge for my race bike.

But I gotta say that I am having great luck with the modified Lasco cassettes ... allows me to save my classic 10s wheels.

Greg @ dsw

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Oct 26, 17 8:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks all......great info.

Off to the machine shop I go!
Quote Reply

Prev Next