Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shimano SH-RC9 for Long Course
Quote | Reply
In searching I have found plenty of threads about tri vs road shoes for triathlon but most of the arguments are for faster T1. In doing some searching I see that Shimano has the SH-RC9 S-Phyre Road Shoe with Boa closures. It seems reasonable that it would be a fairly fast shoe to get in/out of and make adjustments to on the fly. I have only ridden a tri bike and only with Specialized tri shoes but these shoes seem like they may be a solid choice for long course. Most of my races of late have had a decent amount of climbing in them and I am just wondering if having a road shoe with 6-7k of climbing on the bike would overcome the few seconds saved getting on the bike. I assume that getting out of the road shoes wouldn't be a problem and could leave them clipped in doing a flying dismount like normal. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. If anyone has these shoes and tried them for long course that would be great to get your feedback.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano SH-RC9 for Long Course [Tri0014] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have them and used them for Challenge Roth a month or so ago. Honestly I wasn't really going for speed on my transitions (I'm far from the pointy end...) but I can tell you they are generally very quick to put on (push down and quick twist) and take off (pull up and Boa releases completely). I also found they didn't get too hot on a day that was super toasty...
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano SH-RC9 for Long Course [AdamOJWall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, and they do 'wide fitting' if that's a requirement...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In your opinion, can they be worn without socks for an Ironman?
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano SH-RC9 for Long Course [Tri0014] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri0014 wrote:
In searching I have found plenty of threads about tri vs road shoes for triathlon but most of the arguments are for faster T1. In doing some searching I see that Shimano has the SH-RC9 S-Phyre Road Shoe with Boa closures. It seems reasonable that it would be a fairly fast shoe to get in/out of and make adjustments to on the fly. I have only ridden a tri bike and only with Specialized tri shoes but these shoes seem like they may be a solid choice for long course. Most of my races of late have had a decent amount of climbing in them and I am just wondering if having a road shoe with 6-7k of climbing on the bike would overcome the few seconds saved getting on the bike. I assume that getting out of the road shoes wouldn't be a problem and could leave them clipped in doing a flying dismount like normal. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. If anyone has these shoes and tried them for long course that would be great to get your feedback.
I have the RC9 Sphyre and love them. I got them about 3 months ago (best deal was Merlin Cycles in UK... they were hard to find in the US online in general). I've always had Shimano shoes and usually get their top of the line shoe (which this one is too). Used them on some long rides (up to 7h) with 10k of climbing and they've been very comfortable and also great for shorter, very fast rides where the power transfer is important. So, great shoe.

That said, I don't know if I'd wanna run in them in a transition area because the heel support is very narrow. I think the risk of rolling an ankle when running in these is higher than the previous shoes I had (RP315 I believe). This shoe is light, has less materials and therefore seems a little less stable for non-riding moments. In the past, I've always only had one pair of bike shoes which I used for all biking including triathlons. Now I have these, I'd definitely get a tri-specific set as well. Of course, if you're not concerned with running in your shoes being a factor, then I'd say go for it and you'll love them. But there are still many races that don't allow you to have your shoes clipped in so it depends on what you tend to do.

I also would think the shoes might not open enough to easily get your feet in on the fly. Yes they open enough to get them in easily when you're sitting on a chair or so but doing that on the fly will be much more difficult. Also, I'd hate to think what will happen if you accidentally press too hard on the boa knob when getting up to speed before trying to clip in. If you press on it, it will go into tightening mode and you might not get your foot in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AdamOJWall wrote:
I have them and used them for Challenge Roth a month or so ago. Honestly I wasn't really going for speed on my transitions (I'm far from the pointy end...) but I can tell you they are generally very quick to put on (push down and quick twist) and take off (pull up and Boa releases completely). I also found they didn't get too hot on a day that was super toasty...

I have them, did Challenge Roth a month ago also but didn't use them. On the one hand, looking back, I kind of wish I had because they are more comfortable. On the other hand, nothing could have helped me that day...

To the OP, how long it takes to put them on should be the last thing you worry about for long course. Wear the shoes that will leave you feeling best when you are done.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano SH-RC9 for Long Course [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I could care less about the 30 seconds (at most) it takes me to put on my socks. I put socks on for a 1/2 or more every time in T1. I am not a contender for a podium spot in most big races but of course I don't want to give up free time doing something stupid either. If road shoes transfer power a little more efficiently than tri shoes then I would take that over slipping into them quickly. Especially if the course is hilly.

So I have been doing some research. If you look at the pictures that someone does on slowtwitch showing the top 15 men it is clear that some prefer road shoes. Here is a little summary and it appears that most wearing road shoes are in Shimano. This was a quick and dirty inspection so please correct me if I am wrong but it appears that it is legit to attempt to ride long course in a road shoe.

2016 - 7/15 were wearing road shoes
http://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/Tri_Bike_by_brand/2016_IRONMAN_Kona_bike_images_-_men_6063.html

2015 - 7/15 were wearing road shoes
http://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/IM_Kona_2015_-_men_bike_pics_5418.html

2014 - 6/15 were wearing road shoes
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/?do=post_reply_write;parent_post_id=6386678

Quote Reply