Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shaving Legs, Gels/Caffeine....questions......
Quote | Reply
Doing the HITS Naples 1/2 IM Distance on Saturday, Jan 6, and have some questions....

1) I've never shaved my legs before. Does it make THAT big of a difference, from a time perspective? If I shaved them, it wouldn't be with a blade, but electric clippers to the shortest setting, so there would be very little possibility of cutting myself. Anything out there that discusses the power/time savings of shaving? No, I've not searched. Yes, I'm a bit lazy....

2) I recently read that the effects of caffeine do not last once you ingest it...that once you take it in and you get that initial 'spike', the spike doesn't last, even when you take in more gels. Is this true? I thought the 'spike' would be hit, then there's be a 'respike' when you had the next shot of caffeine. And is the run portion (~2 hours) short enough to experience a consistent "spike", if I had no caffeine in the race up to that point?

3) Is there a significant difference between 35mg (Roctane) and 100mg (Clif) of caffeine? Only times I've take caffeine is in a race, so I honestly don't know.

Will probably have some follow up questions if folks chime in. Many thanks in advance for any help/info on the above.
Last edited by: mjpwooo: Dec 28, 17 16:24
Quote Reply
Re: Shaving Legs, Gels...questions...... [mjpwooo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
60 seconds over the course of a 40k TT.

Yes it makes a difference. Plus, you'll look way better. There's nothing more hideous than hairy legs in a cycling kit.

You won't cut yourself—do you shave your face? It's way easier than that. Use women's razors.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Specialized Win Tunnel did a session on leg shaving, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZnrE17Jg3I
Quote Reply
Re: Shaving Legs, Gels...questions...... [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:

Yes it makes a difference. Plus, you'll look way better. There's nothing more hideous than hairy legs in a cycling kit.

You won't cut yourself—do you shave your face? It's way easier than that. Use women's razors.

I use hair removal cream which works a treat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like to shave my junk and take a trip to the massage parlor. Dont be a pussy use a razor
Quote Reply
Re: Shaving Legs, Gels...questions...... [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've used that stuff one time. Something about rubbing a chemical on my body that singes the hair off my body doesn't leave me feeling all too well.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Shaving Legs, Gels...questions...... [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:

If it saves me 90 seconds - EDIT: over a 1/2IM - , I am all in!
Last edited by: mjpwooo: Dec 28, 17 15:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Use the electric clippers and then a razor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hated shaving when I was a high school swimmer in the 80's. Always came away with at least a few nicks. Took up competitive swimming again about 3 years ago, shaved for the first time in 28 years for the 2015 USMS Summer Nationals. Thanks to better quality razors and better shaving cream (actually gel), I didn't nick myself once.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: Shaving Legs, Gels/Caffeine....questions...... [mjpwooo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clippers, then razor.

As far as how much it saves you, it really depends on your Chewbacca Factor. If you're super hairy like me, you're looking to save 90 seconds to two or even three minutes.

I think in the specialized win tunnel, the watt saved are roughly equivalent to those saved by spending a few thousand dollars on race wheels...

Seems like a pretty decent value to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As to your caffeine question, it's a huge performance enhancer. However, the levels at which it's really effective I wouldn't recommend if you haven't tried them before. There's a pretty big difference between 35 mg and 100 mg.

Coach at TriForce Triathlon Team: https://www.triforceteam.com
Quote Reply
Re: Shaving Legs, Gels/Caffeine....questions...... [asellerg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
asellerg wrote:
As to your caffeine question, it's a huge performance enhancer. However, the levels at which it's really effective I wouldn't recommend if you haven't tried them before. There's a pretty big difference between 35 mg and 100 mg.

I have regularly had the 35mg gels during the RUN ONLY. I will continue that, but wasn't sure if going with the 100mg would be that much better (more is always better.... Right? [sarcasm]).
Quote Reply
Re: Shaving Legs, Gels/Caffeine....questions...... [asellerg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Research show a 1/3 to 1/2 of the people using caffeine have no or even Worse performance. But if you are a responder it work well. I had two athletes earlier this year that were under performing on race day. Once we eliminated the coffee they were back to winning races.

BoulderCyclingCoach.com
Quote Reply
Re: Shaving Legs, Gels/Caffeine....questions...... [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davejustdave wrote:
... it really depends on your Chewbacca Factor

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mjpwooo wrote:
asellerg wrote:

I have regularly had the 35mg gels during the RUN ONLY. I will continue that, but wasn't sure if going with the 100mg would be that much better (more is always better.... Right? [sarcasm]).

35 vs 100 mg I doubt would be noticeable for most people. That is just not a ton of caffeine. 100 mg is a small coffee. The range for performance enhancement is 1-3mg per kg. So even if you’re around 160lbs it’s only on the low end of dosing and that’s not taking into account any tolerance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the caffeinated gels, they will make a bigger difference if you back off your overall caffeine intake a few weeks prior. If you drink tons of coffee or pop all day long, it won't really help. If you rarely use caffeine though, it should help spike the energy level a bit. I wouldn't use the race to try that though - try it out just prior to a given workout first to see what it's like and how the body reacts.

Also on shaving, I do legs, arms, back, and chest using a standard Mach3 razor. It works well. If you have tons of hair though, shave first with an electric and finish with the razor. That will make it a lot faster than trying to use the razor directly. It's pretty tough to get cut though until you get into the harder to reach parts of your back and the more sensitive parts of your arm-pits (I shave for swimming - so this won't really apply as much).
Quote Reply
Re: Shaving Legs, Gels/Caffeine....questions...... [daswafford] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I NEVER take in caffeine. So, even on my 20'TT on my trainer, when I take in the caffeine gel (this is 1x every 6 weeks or so), I don't know if it's placebo or not, but it's worked. I tasted the 100mg gel, and it was okay (chocolate cherry). That's the only caffeine I've had in the last month!

What I DO NOT know is if going from a 35mg dose to 100mg dose is rolling the dice or not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) Shaving. Shaved my legs over 45 years ago. Back then we did it because crashes were so inevitable while bike racing that no hair made it easier to clean, bandage, stitch up. There was also peer pressure as no one Cat3 and above didn't shave their legs. It makes a significant aero time difference as others have said.

First time shaving, use a clippers to get what you can off and then shave.

Now I shave entire body year round. So accustomed to shaving three times a week that I don't spend any more time or water than the next person at the club. (What are they doing that takes so long?) Probably some vanity too as "these old gray hairs just ain't what they used to be".

2) Caffeine. Years ago while running the buzz was that coffee/caffeine helped the body transition from carb to fat burning more easily. Just googled it and sounds looks like that still hold true.

Good luck.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Doing the HITS Naples 1/2 IM Distance on Saturday, Jan 6, and have some questions....

1) I've never shaved my legs before. Does it make THAT big of a difference, from a time perspective? If I shaved them, it wouldn't be with a blade, but electric clippers to the shortest setting, so there would be very little possibility of cutting myself. Anything out there that discusses the power/time savings of shaving? No, I've not searched. Yes, I'm a bit lazy....

2) I recently read that the effects of caffeine do not last once you ingest it...that once you take it in and you get that initial 'spike', the spike doesn't last, even when you take in more gels. Is this true? I thought the 'spike' would be hit, then there's be a 'respike' when you had the next shot of caffeine. And is the run portion (~2 hours) short enough to experience a consistent "spike", if I had no caffeine in the race up to that point?

3) Is there a significant difference between 35mg (Roctane) and 100mg (Clif) of caffeine? Only times I've take caffeine is in a race, so I honestly don't know.

Will probably have some follow up questions if folks chime in. Many thanks in advance for any help/info on the above.

This is really, really something you should have tried in training - you have some time, so try this out. I notice a big difference between 100 mg and 35 mg. The former is enough I can't even focus.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Shaving Legs, Gels/Caffeine....questions...... [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DOCTOR Tigerchik!!! (yes, it's been a LONG time...)

I am thinking the same as you. 100mg is a BIG difference from 35mg,amd not worth it to do it in a race. And the hay is in the barn, so no more real opportunity to test.

Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Quote:

This is really, really something you should have tried in training - you have some time, so try this out. I notice a big difference between 100 mg and 35 mg. The former is enough I can't even focus.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should have practised using caffeine during your training to see how YOU react as oppose to what you read. I know caffeine dehydrates you and also can give you the shits. If I were you I would leave it for the most part. Maybe use it during the last 5-7 km of the run. 70mg for a strong finish. Be aware it will bump your heart rate up. By how much? I'm not sure as everyone is different.

In the future I would definitely consider using it. Caffeine is great for "the spike" and I think it gives you minor pain relief. I will have a coffee 1 hour before any work out, and caffeine gels during any workout longer then 1.5 hours. This is just what works for me!
Quote Reply
Re: Shaving Legs, Gels/Caffeine....questions...... [MJI16] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I have used the 35mg gel in races. I may have the 100mg gel for the last 10k or so, as a just in case, but stick with the 35mg gel as the primary one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure if you ended up shaving or not, but I will mention that the first time is always the worst because your hair is the longest. If you start shaving at least once a week after, it will go very fast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gu "espresso love" has a great formula...complex carbs and mild delicious flavor...like nutty chocolate. I initially liked it cos other gels had citric acid or other acidic taste that I found made me want to puke at race pace. You notice the caffeine but as a noncoffee drinker it was still okay to start on the bike and then add cola on the second half of the run.

Shaving will either make you feel awkward or like you put on your raceface. Shaving down during taper satisfies the need to do something while going nothing. Definately feels faster - water wind and clothing feels different do it helps you wake up. They say your hair has a growth spurt the first time that costs a lot of energy so it was recommended to not shave or get a haircut the night before...you can do it the week before then maintain it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swimmers have been known to shave all over, including between fingers and arms and neck, soles of feet, just to remove dead skin and make skin slightly more sensitive to be more alert and get more feel for water. To keep that freshly shaved feeling some swam in tights between heats before shaving again
Quote Reply