Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shark fin effect, aero geeks, anything like this for cycling
Quote | Reply
The motorsport F1 has always pushed the boundaries when it comes to aerodynamics.
Since F1 is a big sport you also get a lot of engineers following it.
Some of those aero geeks also have nice youtube channels.
This is one of them https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzZmAD75cRA
Lots of interesting information.

Does anyone know of similar for cycling?
Quote Reply
Re: Shark fin effect, aero geeks, anything like this for cycling [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
Does anyone know of similar for cycling?

Rear disc wheels and "draft box" flat kits :)
Quote Reply
Re: Shark fin effect, aero geeks, anything like this for cycling [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pretty sure cervelo had a shark fin under the BB back in the early 2000's on a bike.

Done right iirc from everything I've read they have the potential to work for cycling.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have a bluff afterbody? A "shark fin" can make it less terrible.

Funny I just PMed Thomas Gerlach about it last week. Turns out the Naval Ordinance Lab did the hard math and testing back in the 1960s. http://www.dtic.mil/...lltext/u2/683319.pdf
Other documents out of Cal Tech and others can be found on Google from work performed in the 90s.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you need more stabilisation when going round corners...

One major side-effect is having a lot more visible space for sponsors, but I'm sure that has little to do with it.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a vague memory of the wing 57 helmet having a slight 'fin' on top with John Cobb saying it's like a shark dorsal
Quote Reply
Re: Shark fin effect, aero geeks, anything like this for cycling [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The fin-like brake cover under the bb on the SC gen2?

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice video!
My office is like this: engineers discussing CFD explorations, wind tunnel correlations, fun!

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Re: Shark fin effect, aero geeks, anything like this for cycling [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What I like with these types of videos is that they are looking at aero on a car as a whole.
Not the fastest front wing or most down force rear wing, but how to create a package that will provide the best overall solution.
Based on the speed from last nights F1 race, the shark fin together with all other changes are working. Cornering speed is higher.

When will we see a TT bike with a fork designed to deal with the rotating legs (If that is even an issue??)?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool video.

It looks like the shark fin provides lateral stability, which he nicely described as a 'weather-vane effect'. I think the closest equivalent effect for Tri cycling would be a rear disc wheel, which also provides considerable lateral stability.

While lateral stability matters hugely for auto racing where controlling the car is easily 90% in deciding success or failure in the endeavor, in TT/Tri cycling bicycle control is not really a significant big element of success of the sport (assuming that you can ride in straight line), instead it is all about horsepower vs total drag.

But, in heavy winds of course, this effect could provide a considerable assist even in TT cycling, especially when the front of the bike has a deep section aero wheel.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Mar 26, 17 10:49
Quote Reply