Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shanna Armstrong's NEW Ultraman bike!
Quote | Reply
With using the DFU (Dynamic Fit Unit) from Guru we designed a frame custom made for Shanna and how she uses the bike for ultra events. Went with a road frameset for lightness/power transfer and comfort but with a 78degree seat tube angle for the timetrial/triathlon position needed for most of her events. The part I am most excited about is using the Di2 road shifter along with the aero shifters on the HED clip on aerobars.
Thanks to Robert at Guru, Paul at HED, Kervin at Rotor Bike, and Nathan at Shimano for all the help in getting this machine ready in time.
First ride was today...we did 50 miles and she was feeling better on this rig than she has on any other before. I am very happy and very proud of this as well as very honored to have been able to work with Shanna Armstrong on this. Now...its time for the proof...how will her Ultraman on the 26th!
http://www.facebook.com/...p;fbid=1553972242309

Every day is Race day
Last edited by: Shama: Nov 14, 10 12:15
Quote Reply
Re: Shanna Armstrong's NEW Ultraman bike! [Shama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Every day is Race day
Last edited by: Shama: Nov 14, 10 12:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Every day is Race day
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What brakes are those??
Quote Reply
Re: Shanna Armstrong's NEW Ultraman bike! [rmcboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TRP 970

Every day is Race day
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If this was a custom frame, why didn't you make a taller head tube to remove the 2cm of spacers.....?

Just wondering.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So you take away the advantages of a tri bike and a road bike all at once! Sweet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pardon my ignorance, but, I am not understanding the decision to go with a road bike.

You went with the Guru Photon, so, you got one of the lightest bikes on the market. I understand that.

However, why not go with the CR.701? I cannot believe the frame is much heavier. The power transfer will be the same, if not better than the Photon. It is custom, so, you can build it for perfect fit, even if that includes a more upright position.

I must be missing something.

All that said, that is one hell of a sweet looking bike. Just curious on the decision.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Shanna Armstrong's NEW Ultraman bike! [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two questions...the Photon is part of the road bike geometry series right? Also, why not traditional aerobars??

I am drooling. I have really wanted a Photon bike.....!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The longer the event, the more potential time savings with an aero frame... yet I see round tubes all over the place and a heap of spacers (odd when you chose a bike for its "power transfer"). How much "power transfer" does one require over an Ultra anyway?
Quote Reply
Re: Shanna Armstrong's NEW Ultraman bike! [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My guess would be that since the bike course in Ultraman is 261 miles, that comfort weighs more heavily into the equation than in a typical triathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: Shanna Armstrong's NEW Ultraman bike! [LuckyMe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
My guess would be that since the bike course in Ultraman is 261 miles, that comfort weighs more heavily into the equation than in a typical triathlon.

I am sure that is true, but, I have a custom Guru Crono and it is by far the smoothest, most comfortable ride I have ever experienced.

I wonder what Shama means by "comfort." It that means more upright position, does not make sense b/c the Guru is custom, so, the CR.701 could be built for a more upright position.

If comfort means smoother ride, I find it very hard to believe the very light and very stiff Photon delivers a smoother ride than the CR.701.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Shanna Armstrong's NEW Ultraman bike! [Greenswim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is for Ultraman and RAAM and other ultra stuff. Plus this is the FIRST ride. I can always cut again..but can't add. But mostly for when she might happen to do a road race or a shorter tt, we can drop the front end more. Its meant to be multipurpose.

The CR701 would be a heavier frame and in ultra distances, the various terrain, cross winds, and overall slower anerage speed, we opted to try that aero dynamics of the frame might not win over weight and efficiency.

If she gets more into the shorter race scenes I am sure she will have a CR901 in her future, but for now with the ultra cycling and Ultraman being her thing, we went with this. Were we right or wrong...won't find out till the 26th....

Every day is Race day
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She could win Ultraman on a steel Huffy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leaving aside everything else IMO that is a beautifull bike. Very clean styling and color. It reminds me of some of the 90's QR's and the other round tube tri frames of the day. Nice!

Kevin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
   A "corrected" sta for her position but not the front end? Looks like it might be a twitchy ride, but if she is a happy camper, that's all that matters.
Quote Reply
Re: Shanna Armstrong's NEW Ultraman bike! [dave_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The front end was done in the same fashion, to accomidate the position in both road and tri. Sure its tricky and as far as I know there is no standard for what we are trying to do here. We rode today, all positoins, she thought it handled great and it rode very well. Its all a gamble, other fitters might have done things very differently, I understand that. From my experience, her experience, and Robert at Guru, we came up with what we thought was best for her. But I stand by my work and no matter her placing if she feels she has a good day and a good ride then I will be happy with that...especially if she wins like she has 6 previous times. If she doesn't have a great day and feels impared by the bike I built for her then we go back to the drawing board to get it right. I can accept my own mistakes. But so far every bike I have built for someone has resulted in faster bike splits and run splits off the bike. I know this cause I work so closely with every customer of mine and build a great relationship with each one to keep open communication going about how thier racing is going and how I can help the best. Its what I do, its what I love...

Every day is Race day
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Feeding time at the zoo.
No seat too high comments?
Yer slipping slotwitters.
Igot
Quote Reply
Re: Shanna Armstrong's NEW Ultraman bike! [Igot Yourback] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Feeding time at the zoo.
No seat too high comments?
Yer slipping slotwitters.
Igot

OK, how about this one?

It sort of creeps me out, maybe because it looks like one of those Ghost Bikes.
Quote Reply