Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Sex testing of female athletes [Bretom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The runner in the Real Sports episode did look a little more masculine than average, but there is a more sinister issue underpinning that perception. Understanding what this forum is and doesn't want to be, I will say this, black women are often perceived as more 'masculine' by Western standards. Look at how much people talked about Michelle Obama's arms. So lets not act like this isn't going to have an out sized effect on black female athletes from poor countries who, as a result of a situation they have no control over, will be more likely to be subjected to these stupid tests. Great, a policy that effectively selects people by race, money, and gender - and will be used against athletes (from poor countries) who are powerless to fight it. Could you imagine gender testing Serena and Venus?

There are honest to god intersex and transitioning athletes out there where questions about their gender are valid. There is a swimmer at Harvard that went female to male and now swims for the men's team. For those folks, questions about gender are natural as they are doing something to make themselves one thing or another. This, again, isn't that common but it does happen.

Using a testosterone based test might be logical, but we will still effectively punish an athlete for something they had no control over and maybe weren't even aware of it until someone for sport wants them to prove they don't have nuts. I can't support that in any fashion.
Quote Reply
Re: Sex testing of female athletes [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:
We don't divide basketball into tall and short leagues. We do divide sports into men's and women's competitions. When that is done a line must be drawn or the division is meaningless.
If someone has lived their life as female, the line is already drawn.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Last edited by: jt10000: Jun 29, 16 15:53
Quote Reply
Re: Sex testing of female athletes [patsullivan6630] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After dropping the testosterone test last year, two of the three medalists in last year's 800m at the indoor world championships were intersex, again despite it being an extremely rare condition. It seems likely that all three medalists at the Olympics will be intersex. I totally agree with you that it sucks to have to tell someone who didn't even know that their body produces and uses testosterone that they can't compete as a woman. But the flip side is this: are you okay with the fact that it is already now becoming difficult, and it will surely only get worse, for anyone born as a non-intersex woman to win an Olympic medal? Do you have any daughters? Would it be okay if, just by being born a non-intersex woman (nearly 50% of the population), you already know that there is no Olympics for you?

The good thing about the testosterone test is that it allows people of all genders, even transgender women, to compete as women, and it also keeps 100% of non-intersex women. It also allows for a very large fraction of intersex women to compete, just not those very few who have the main source of competitive advantage that distinguishes men from women. It also seems to lead to a level playing field, in the sense that non-intersex women have a good chance of winning medals. It's not perfect, but I don't think a perfect test exists in this case.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
patsullivan6630 wrote:
There is no alternative and we shouldn't be testing women for gender, period. If you have been passing as a woman for your entire life (I am deliberately not including people who transition from male to female) but you happen to have nice broad shoulders and narrow hips - that is not enough to say this woman needs to be prodded around and then what...she is determined to be 'too masculine', what does that do to this poor athlete? You can tell this is primarily men who are engaged in this because it is so totally asinine that only a man could have thought it up. I think the issue is we take sport WAY too seriously, if we start prodding women to judge their level of masculinity we are going too far.

BTW my opinion on this is informed by an in-depth article that was done by Real Sports last season which focused on an African female runner. If you have access to HBO NOW or if you can find it on you tube it is totally worth the watch.

So what you are saying is that doping should be legal for women?

That is essentially what happens when an intersex athlete competes as a woman. So Why are you ok with doping in women's sports? Take your dose of T or you can't compete.
Quote Reply
Re: Sex testing of female athletes [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IIRC, they touched the Caster Semenya controversy in 2012.

And Semenya recently won a case against the IAAF where the CAS said that there was no research showing high levels of testosterone improved women's athletic performance and threw out the IAAF's testosterone limits. Probably not conicidentally, Semenya is now running times she hasn't in many years and is now an honest medal contender in the 400, 800 and 1500M based on her times in recent meets, an unprecedented range for a female runner in the modern era,.
Quote Reply
Re: Sex testing of female athletes [pk1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pk1 wrote:

the only option is to say there is no such thing as gender and have open competition which then means pretty much all women should give up competitive sport.

Another option would be to ask people their gender when they sign up and be done with it.
Last edited by: FindinFreestyle: Jun 29, 16 17:10
Quote Reply
Re: Sex testing of female athletes [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runless wrote:
You're right that the impulse to test come from questionable motives, i.e. "This person doesn't look like we think a woman should look." That thought process frustrates me, because I think women(and men) should be able to look however they goddamn well please without their gender being questioned. You also correct that testing for simply X/Y is also misguided to simply ensure a fair women's field.

However, if nothing is done about people with outlying biology, it seems like women's sports could lose quality in competition and potentially frustrate a large portion of the population. As an example, this year Caster Semenya is just going to destroy the olympics in the 800m, almost everyone agrees. There is speculation that she could win the 400 and 1500 if she really wanted. Of course, the opposite argument is that all sorts of people have outlying biology in other ways that allows them to be excellent at sports and we don't handicap those people. However, this issue seems to come down to simply testosterone.

As a side note, most of my thoughts on this are not my own. This article/interview I found very informative: http://sportsscientists.com/...rt-qa-joanna-harper/ .

The problem is that there are men that can't win as men, but due to their ego writing cheques their body can't cash, pretend to be women so they can win.

While I don't care what gender people are, identify with or want to be, the situation is that generally men perform better in a number of physical pursuits. This, combined with the ego's of some second tier men, gives the opportunity/encouragement for some men to cheat to win. It's just another sad form of cheating and needs to be stopped.
Women need to be able to compete against other women, for there to be a fair winner in the womens events. Testing is required, to ensure there aren't any men masquerading as women. I'm not sure how to perform that testing in a fair and sensitive manner, but I believe we need to keep doing it to the best of our imperfect ability, to uphold fair competition for the women involved. If we don't, the cheaters win by default.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Nowhere was that better depicted than this epic scene of men acting as women acting as men in order for the Monty Python crew to act out a bunch of women avoiding the their ancient proscription from the act of stoning.
Quote Reply
Re: Sex testing of female athletes [jt10000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jt10000 wrote:
JoeO wrote:
We don't divide basketball into tall and short leagues. We do divide sports into men's and women's competitions. When that is done a line must be drawn or the division is meaningless.
If someone has lived their life as female, the line is already drawn.

How someone "has lived their life" has absolutely nothing to do with the reasons for why we divide sports into men's and women's competitions in the first place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think we are talking about intersex athletes or I was. That's what Chandra and Semenya are as far as I'm aware.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
patsullivan6630 wrote:
I will say this, black women are often perceived as more 'masculine' by Western standards. Look at how much people talked about Michelle Obama's arms. So lets not act like this isn't going to have an out sized effect on black female athletes from poor countries who, as a result of a situation they have no control over, will be more likely to be subjected to these stupid tests.

and what of the black women from poor countries who are competing against athletes with a disproportionate advantage? Life is unfair for them in many ways, and this is just one more way?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ross Tucker has the best commentary that I have read on the subject:
http://sportsscientists.com/2016/05/hyperandrogenism-women-vs-women-vs-men-sport-qa-joanna-harper/

Quote:
Below you will find what I think is a fascinating, exhaustive interview on hyperandrogenism in female athletes with Joanna Harper, who you will meet in the interview, but who describes herself as a “scientist first, an athlete second, and a transgender person third”. Harper is unique in the sense that she speaks on this incredibly complex topic from all three aspects – science/physiology, performance and as a transgender person herself. She has been, and is, part of the various panels and groups that are exploring the issue, and so offers insights with authority and experience on what is likely to be one of Rio’s, if not sport’s, greatest ever controversies.
It’s a long read, this one, but if you’re at all interested, I’d encourage you to do it in shifts, or settle in with a cup of tea and take in her insights!

I wanted to interview her to give you a broader understanding of the concepts. And so below, you can see every word she has kindly written to explain what she believes are the issues facing women’s sport right now.
But first, some context, and my views…

TopHyperandrogenism background

Caster Semenya is about as sure a gold medal bet as there is at this year’s Olympic Games. If I had one bet to make, and my life was at stake, I’d put in on her to win the 800m. This past weekend she just missed out on the Diamond League record, running 1:56.46, at a jog. A month ago, she won the 400m, 800m and 1500m at the SA champs, all on the same day. The 400m and 800m, 50 minutes apart, were run in 50.7s and 1:58, with a second lap faster than 60 seconds, suggesting that she could go much, much faster. I watched them in Stellenbosch and have never seen anything like it. The 400m was jogged until the last 100m, and could have been under 49 seconds, and the 800m could have been run in 1:55 if it was needed.
Caster Semenya could, and should, break the 800m world record. It’s the oldest record on the tracks, held by oneJarmila Kratochvilova, and if you know anything about the sport, you know that whoever it was who broke that record was going to be faced with a few probing questions. Most of them would have been doping-related, but in the case of Semenya, thanks to the public drama that played out in 2009, they’re related to sex/gender.
Specifically, we know that Semenya was identified as having elevated testosterone levels after her gold medal in Berlin (1:55.45, as an 18-year old). We know that some intervention was applied, and we can, through pretty basic deduction, figure out that it involved lowering her testosterone levels. How? Well, at the time Semenya emerged, from nowhere, the IAAF and IOC policies on gender verification (they should call it ‘sex verification’, by the way, because sex is biological, gender is social, but anyway) were vague and unrelated to testosterone.

It was as a result of Semenya, and the absolutely disastrous handling of that situation, that the policy changed, and until last year, the policy in place said that women could compete only if their testosterone levels were below an upper limit. That upper limit, 10 nmol/L, was set up based on a study done on all the women competing in the World Championships in 2011 and 2013. The researchers took the average testosterone levels of women with a condition called Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, which was already elevated at 4.5 nmol/L, and then added 5 SD to it.
The addition of 3 SD (which created a level of 7.5 nmol/L) would have meant that 16 in 1000 athletes would exceed the cutoff. That’s why the extra 2 SD were added, to make sure that the upper limit would apply only to those with hyperandrogenism (or those who are doping).

99% of female athletes, by the way, had testosterone levels below 3.08 nmol/L. So the upper limit of 10 nmol/L was three fold higher than a level that applies to 99 in 100 women participants.
Semenya’s performances, under this policy of reducing testosterone, dropped off in a predictable manner. Having run the 1:55.45 at 18, she never got close again, though did win Olympic silver in London (behind a doper), and a World silver in 2011. Last year, she failed to advance beyond the semi-finals in Beijing, and hadn’t even made the qualification mark for the preceding year’s Commonwealth Games. 2:00 had become a significant barrier, when the world record had been plausible at 18.

Now, she is untouchable. People will (and have said) that it’s down to her focused training, recovery from injury and so forth, but I’m not buying that. The change has happened for an obvious reason – the restoration of testosterone levels, and that is thanks to the courts – CAS, the Court of Arbitration for sport, last year ruled that the IAAF could no longer enforce the upper limit of testosterone, and in so doing, cleared the way for Semenya, and at least a handful of others, to return to the advantages that this hormone clears provides an individual. That CAS ruled this way because they felt that there was insufficient evidence for the performance benefits is one of the stupidest, most bemusing legal/scientific decisions ever made.
In any event, the situation now is this – Semenya, plus a few others, have no restriction. It has utterly transformed Semenya from an athlete who was struggling to run 2:01 to someone who is tactically running 1:56. My impression, having seen her live and now in the Diamond League, is that she could run 1:52, and if she wanted to, would run a low 48s 400m and win that gold in Rio too.

Semenya is of course not the only such athlete. And in the absence of a policy, I fully expect more in future. However, right now, Semenya is the unfortunate face of what is going to be a massive controversy in Rio. That’s because she was so unfairly “outed” in Berlin in 2009, when what should have been handled discreetly became a public drama, thanks to inept/arrogant SA officials. It won’t be any consolation to Semenya, and the media, frankly, have no idea how to deal with this – nobody wants it to be about the athlete, and it certainly is not her fault. However, it is a debate we must have, and I want to try to have it from the biological, sporting perspective, and steer clear of the minority bullying that so often punctuates these matters.
On that, I have written a couple of scientific articles on this issue, back in 2009, inspired by the relevance of the Semenya debate. You can read those at these links:

Since 2009, that viewpoint has not changed, and let me state it as directly as possible:
TopTaking a position: Divisions must be defended
I do not believe that women with hyperandrogenism should be competing unregulated. I believe that the divide between men and women exists precisely to ensure fairness in competition (as far as this is ever possible), and I think that if you respect that division, then a policy that addresses hyperandrogenism must exist. I think CAS made a ludicrous decision, and I think it is damaging to women’s sport. Saying that men and women are different is a biological reality, and in sport, the difference has obvious performance implications. It does not mean “inferior”, but different, so spare me any “patriarchy” nonsense on this (I’ve heard it said, for instance, that women’s performances are slower because of the “fucking patriarchy”. If you think that, let me save you time and tell you to stop reading now, and save us both the aggravation).
I wish that it did not affect individuals like Semenya, but it does. It also affects many, many other women who frankly, have no chance of competing against the right athlete with an advantage that challenges the male-female division. And let me be very clear – this is not the same as tall people dominating in basketball, or people with fast-twitch fibres dominating sprints. We do not compete in categories of height, because we have decided that there is no need to “protect” short people. We certainly do not compete in categories of muscle biochemistry or neurology.

There are many aspects and arguments in this debate, and I respect most of them, but this particular offering of “whataboutery” is garbage, utterly inadmissible in this complex debate. If you want to play whataboutery in this way, think about weight classes in boxing, contact sports, rowing. Would it be fair if someone said “I can’t help my physiology, and I’m 2kg over the limit for “lightweight”, so let me in?” Or, if you did create a division for height in basketball, should we allow people who can’t help that they’re tall because of genes to come down and play with those under 6 foot? Of course not.
Point is, if you create a division to ensure performance equality based on a known performance advantage, then you absolutely must defend that division, however ‘arbitrary’ the line appears to be. The division between men and women is clear. It is obviously significantly influenced by testosterone, and few physiological variables are as clearly (if imperfectly) separate like testosterone is. If that division is to be respected, as it should, then hyperandrogenic women should have some regulation in place.

For that reason, I believe that the IAAF policy around an upper limit was the best solution, for now. It’s not perfect, and anyone who claims it’s simply about testosterone is wrong. But it’s a better place to be than where the sport is, and that’s my opinion. I cannot acknowledge the women’s 800m as a credible event as a result, but I hope that Semenya (and a few others) go out and run 1:52, and I wish she would run and win the 400m too. Sometimes people need to be struck between the eyes to see the obvious.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Last edited by: xtrpickels: Jun 30, 16 0:08
Quote Reply
Re: Sex testing of female athletes [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so I have a very limited understanding of this (but that will not stop me from commenting :))

I don't want to point out the obvious but if a athlete tests genetically as XX but produces testosterone - can a sports governing body really say that they need to take medication to limit its production? the whole point is that if the athlete takes T its banned, if some genetically unique individual produces more of it than someone else we want them to take drugs to suppress it?

that can not be right - more so if that individual is considered in every single other way to be female
Quote Reply
Re: Sex testing of female athletes [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
so I have a very limited understanding of this (but that will not stop me from commenting :))

I don't want to point out the obvious but if a athlete tests genetically as XX but produces testosterone - can a sports governing body really say that they need to take medication to limit its production? the whole point is that if the athlete takes T its banned, if some genetically unique individual produces more of it than someone else we want them to take drugs to suppress it?

that can not be right - more so if that individual is considered in every single other way to be female

This is worthless without pics!
Quote Reply
Re: Sex testing of female athletes [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
s

What you are describing does sound unfair. However, I think it's a mistake to focus on chromosomes. Even if someone is XX, if they have testosterone levels high enough to fail the test, they are intersex, meaning they have male features (and at least some if not all features of male genitalia), so they are not quite "considered in every other way to be female". They also have an athletic advantage.

The new way of thinking is to focus on testosterone not chromosomes, as it is really testosterone production that determines the difference in appearance and athletic ability, not chromosomes. People can be XY and be insensitive to testosterone and be in every other way like a female, even though they are not biologically female (and are not even aware of this), and have no athletic advantage over normal females. The testosterone test lets them compete as women where the chromosome test would not. The testosterone test rules out a very small number of women who have XX chromosomes but who are intersex and who are also thought to have a large athletic advantage over normal XX women.

BTW if you want to read more, here's an article to start with and then you can follow the cites within:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3554857/
Quote Reply
Re: Sex testing of female athletes [mcmetal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am saying that there is no ethical justification to do this to someone in sport. The personal violation this policy requires is worse than doping. Besides, she isn't doping, this is a natural situation for her and she was able to prove that her naturally elevated testosterone levels did not amount to doping - so be careful how and when you accuse someone. I am somewhat surprised at some reactions here, as if doping is the worst thing someone can do and therefore any policy or practice to prevent it (including 'gender' testing) seems ethically OK. Look, someone attempted suicide in 2007 who was subjected to these tests. That is how traumatic it is for women.

Imagine, as a man, someone came to you and said "You look kind of feminine and therefore we must 'test' whether you are man or not". I can't imagine a lot of men being OK with this. This is because of the commonplace thought that men are always better sports people than women. Maybe that is true, maybe not. What if we found a sport or activity that women tend to have a natural advantage over men at and the roles are reversed. Would you be so flippant about having your masculinity questioned?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's clearly a topic that is incredibly sensitive and should be handled as such. But I don't think that fact should preclude seeking an equitable solution for all women. It is unfortunate that some women are intersex and produce much larger quantities of testosterone, and of course no fault of theirs. But I'm sure they understand that, biologically they are different from most 'women' and as such it may not be fair for them to compete against normal women. You may believe they should be allowed to compete as women, but you may feel differently if you were competing against someone who was intersex. Again, this should be handled with the greatest sensitivity and it seems an equitable solution has not yet been found. But I also don't think the issue should be ignored out of fear of upsetting athletes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm confused by some of your responses, let's talk intersex for a second. Is it okay in your mind that a person who identifies as a woman but is intersex to be tested?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was kinda excited for sex testing to become part of triathlon, but then I read what it is and it is much less fun then the name implies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
patsullivan6630 wrote:
What bothers me is that this almost always targeted at females and the tests/questions they use are invasive and insulting.

What bothers me is that is ALWAYS males who are found guilty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honest question to which I don't know the answer: if you asked the top 20 female 800m runners in the world if they were in favor of female sport only being open to those who displayed no intersex characteristics and "normal" T levels (plenty of science quoted above, I'm using shorthand here), AND you told them that if they voted yes their decision would be enforced in their sport and, accordingly, they would each be subject to sex testing...how do you think the vote would go? My guess, sitting here as a man, is 14-15 in favor, 5 against.

That's a guess and I recognize how presumptuous it is to even volunteer an opinion on how elite female athletes may feel about this given that I am neither a female nor an elite athlete. However, there are livelihoods, careers, fame and dreams on the line here - are you 100% confident that the majority of elite female athletes would favor the "live and let live" approach you seem to be advocating for?

P.S. there's a very easy way to deal with the "personal insult" aspect of this - test everyone. I could hardly take offence at someone questioning my masculinity if I was just subjected to the same battery of tests as everyone else.

patsullivan6630 wrote:
I am saying that there is no ethical justification to do this to someone in sport. The personal violation this policy requires is worse than doping. Besides, she isn't doping, this is a natural situation for her and she was able to prove that her naturally elevated testosterone levels did not amount to doping - so be careful how and when you accuse someone. I am somewhat surprised at some reactions here, as if doping is the worst thing someone can do and therefore any policy or practice to prevent it (including 'gender' testing) seems ethically OK. Look, someone attempted suicide in 2007 who was subjected to these tests. That is how traumatic it is for women.

Imagine, as a man, someone came to you and said "You look kind of feminine and therefore we must 'test' whether you are man or not". I can't imagine a lot of men being OK with this. This is because of the commonplace thought that men are always better sports people than women. Maybe that is true, maybe not. What if we found a sport or activity that women tend to have a natural advantage over men at and the roles are reversed. Would you be so flippant about having your masculinity questioned?

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Last edited by: Bretom: Jul 1, 16 9:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
patsullivan6630 wrote:

Maybe I'm a little too easy going, but I would have no issue with this, especially if I knew it helped preserve the integrity of the sport.

While we're at it, let's stop security checks at large events because it may offend someone that we think they may be carrying a weapon......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just test. If someone's feelings are hurt, too bad. It is more important to make sure the competition is fair. If you were a female but people suspected you might not really be one, and you won without being tested, the suspicion would dog you forever. If you're tested, no suspicion and all is good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought the title of this thread meant something else.
Quote Reply
Re: Sex testing of female athletes [Julebag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@Jason - thats funny!

@Julebag - I am not sure you would be too comfortable with it, not because you have something to prove in your masculinity or femininity (it is not immediately clear to me which gender you are) but because the criteria for 'testing' gender in athletes is incredibly arbitrary which overwhelmingly victimizes people of color and those without economic means to call it out as blatantly sexist. For example, the William's sisters are male-like in many ways but no one would dream of 'gender testing' them, primarily because their brand is extremely strong and they have a squadron of lawyers to defend them. Why aren't we 'gender testing' Sydney McLaughlin? She is muscular with narrow hips, she seems like a good candidate for 'testing'. If a little bile rose in your throat at the idea of 'gender testing' a 16 year old American female, that is the correct response. Why would we not have the same reaction to poor adult female athletes from countries with a much less evolved notion of human rights?
Quote Reply

Prev Next