Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Seat post angle and crank length
Quote | Reply
Let's talk about crank length in relation to
Seat post angle/ saddle setback. If running your seat at steep angle opens up your hips does running it further back require a shorter crank to maintain that angle. In my mind it's a obvious yes.( Could be wrong. It happens.) So the question is how to calculate the change in crank length when moving a seat angle forward or backwards.
Quote Reply
Re: Seat post angle and crank length [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trigonometry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMHO you are over-thinking it. Select a crank length, stick with it, and spend your time riding rather than sweating insignificant details. You'll be faster in the end.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
possibly not - if going slacker does the torso angle remain the same? Does the ankle flexion change? Does the seat height change? If all of these angles remain static, and you are only rotating the rider anticlockwise the BB then there is no change to crank length.

We can see how SH should come down to maintain knee angle, or even ankle flexion, but can the pelvis rotate that much more to get down to the previous angle? It may help to go to a shorter crank, but this may only bring the ankle closer the BB and not do much else up above. If the sitting angle gets slacker are you also lowering the front end, or does it come up?

Oddly, and I'm speaking of roadies, but with an increase in SA sometimes there is an increase in crank length. This has been in situations of moving someone from an SX of say 170 to 225, they go from a 165 crank to a 172.5. For triathletes, i can't really think of an instance where I've moved them back (if then, only if using a road bike).

it don't seem like it be dat way but it do

http://trophy-box.com/...fit/perspective.html

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saddle setback and crank arm length are best thought of as independent variables.
Quote Reply
Re: Seat post angle and crank length [FindinFreestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But what about in situations where you have moved the post adjustment forward to open up your hip angle or the reverse of that where you have moved it back and it has closed off your hip angle wouldn't that then cause a change in crank arm length to adjust for that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
But what about in situations where you have moved the post adjustment forward to open up your hip angle or the reverse of that where you have moved it back and it has closed off your hip angle wouldn't that then cause a change in crank arm length to adjust for that?

Your brain is a supercomputer and your body is an adaptation machine. Which is to say I am not exactly sure what the brain and body experience and compute at different setbacks and crank lengths. But I trust in their ability to make good choices if a proper process is adhered to.

Both setback and crank length effect the acute hip angle, or thigh-torso angle, at the top of the stroke. Saddle forward or crank shorter have the same vector of effect, but different magnitudes. However, there are more factors at play when modifying setback, as it effects muscle group utilization, and this is probably a larger driver. I couldn't tell you what percentages of glute, hamstring, or quad to involve in your pedal stroke, but that is exactly what your supercomputer is doing, so I don't have to. Your body is capable of choosing a setback, and I think you should do that first.

You play with crank length after setback is determined, as your setback can perhaps effect your preferred crank length, but a change in crank length isn't likely to change your preferred setback.

The direct answer to your question is yes, if you move your saddle back and close the hip angle to a large enough degree, you may need a shorter crank to compensate. This assumes everything was optimized to begin with, in which case why are you changing setback anyway? Or everything wasn't optimized, so why didn't you find out your setback first?

Finally, and in a practical sense, I think you would have to make a fairly large change in setback to necessitate a change in crank length. I would not try to micro manage crank length for small changes in setback.
Last edited by: FindinFreestyle: Dec 29, 17 9:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:

You don’t adjust saddle fore/aft position to drive a desired hip angle. It will effect it yes, but hip angle is not the primary driver for fore/aft position.

If you want to change hip angle, you change stack and/or crank length.

blog
Quote Reply