Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Seat Height - Calf Strain
Quote | Reply
So I finally decided to get myself properly and professionally fitted...you know on my bike.
After years of cycling and numerous long haul triathlon finishes I wanted to get placed on both my
Tri-Race bike and my new Roubaix.
Great plan....
I was shocked to find out that my seat was approx 10mm too low. I know I'm going to get some serious flack for this...Over the years I would get a new bike and put my heel on the pedal, tighten the seat post and get out on the road...
Anyway I started slowly moving my seat up to the new height and after about 8mm i started getting a serious pain in my left calf while out running...I stopped running for a few days and continued bike training and move the seat up to 10mm but the run issues continued as the pain kicked in after only 5km...
I have moved the seat more or less back to my normal height...The calf issue seems to have eased off...
Has anyone had this...and any advice on how to proceed...? Cheers
Quote Reply
Re: Seat Height - Calf Strain [c'monvatu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't done exactly what you did in terms of saddle height, but with almost 2 decades of cycling experience now, almost 100% on triathlon bikes, I find that i ride more like a true cyclist vs. a runner on a bike. A runner without much experience on the bike will tend to run with their toes pointed downwards and heals up. Once they convert to having power on the bike and cycling more, they drop the heal a lot more. Within the past few years, I experienced similar pain that you refer to, but it was in my hamstring, not my calf. I was basically trying to reach too far where the guy fitted me. I dropped it 2 cm and all the pain disappeared within a week. I think fitters can put you in the best "eyeball" position or even using technology, but at the end of the day, your personal pedaling motion, muscle flexibility on your entire backside, etc. all have serious consequences. Even your cleat position being 1/2 cm too far back on a new pair of shoes can change you dropping your heal too much or not enough.

I got back on my road bike last week after a year break from it and actually lowered my saddle 5 cm from where he had me on it last year, in the height of all my hamstring, low back, glute pain days. 5 freaking cm. So yeah, I think stick with what works best for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Talk to your fitter and let him know about the cramping on the run. Perhaps he can and will adjust your front end fit so you maintain the same angles as his suggested seat height.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
10mm can be a large change, especially if you've been in the old position for a long time. You might try raising your saddle 2-3 mm for a 150 miles or so, then repeat until you reach the height your fitter recommended.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the replies...I'm going back to my Bike Fit guy to look again at the set up.
Cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was very similar to you, I ended up dropping my saddle by 8mm after catching sight of myself on video during a TT. Net result of the change was that I had no more niggles that I had associated with just racing/riding and my power has come up 5w measuring against similar efforts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
c'monvatu wrote:
So I finally decided to get myself properly and professionally fitted...you know on my bike.
After years of cycling and numerous long haul triathlon finishes I wanted to get placed on both my
Tri-Race bike and my new Roubaix.
Great plan....
I was shocked to find out that my seat was approx 10mm too low. I know I'm going to get some serious flack for this...Over the years I would get a new bike and put my heel on the pedal, tighten the seat post and get out on the road...
Anyway I started slowly moving my seat up to the new height and after about 8mm i started getting a serious pain in my left calf while out running...I stopped running for a few days and continued bike training and move the seat up to 10mm but the run issues continued as the pain kicked in after only 5km...
I have moved the seat more or less back to my normal height...The calf issue seems to have eased off...
Has anyone had this...and any advice on how to proceed...? Cheers
It doesn't sound like you have enough data to definitively correlate the saddle height adjustment with the calf issue. They could be linked or one may have nothing to do with the other. I think you'd have to go back to your original position, see if the calf issue resolves itself and then back to the height you were at when the calf issue occurred and see if that happens again.
Nevertheless, I don't think many/any people would recommend blindly following a fit if it causes discomfort.
Quote Reply
Re: Seat Height - Calf Strain [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
10mm is a lot. doesnt matter how much new power u can turn if ur gonna loose it all plus some in the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was a thread on this a week or so ago. I had the same issue, but I pushed it too far.

As a side note, you may have done it already, but check your cleat screws and make sure on hasn't loosened.

just your average age grouper . no one special . no scientific knowledge . just having fun.
Quote Reply
Re: Seat Height - Calf Strain [leesteph] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
leesteph wrote:
10mm is a lot. doesnt matter how much new power u can turn if ur gonna loose it all plus some in the run.

Unless your saddle is already at the limits of acceptable, a change of 10 mm is minimal. Yes, it won't feel right, but it's not going to influence either your performance or your risk of injury.
Quote Reply
Re: Seat Height - Calf Strain [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just a general comment: pain at the front of the knee suggests that somebody's saddle may be too low. Pain at the back of the knee suggests that somebody's saddle may be too high. Pain in the knee suggests a rotational or tracking problem.
Quote Reply
Re: Seat Height - Calf Strain [leesteph] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
leesteph wrote:
Was this supposed to be a reply to my comment?
I didn't comment on whether 10mm was a lot or say anything about power gain. I just suggested that it doesn't sound like he knows with any certainty that saddle adjustment is the cause of the pain.
However, if I was to comment I'd say 10mm is significant but not massive.
Quote Reply