Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Screw you! Guy that was dolphin kicking passed me at Benbrook pool last friday [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
see post 13 for details...

That is ridiculous. I can barely swim 50 yards in :36.
Quote Reply
Re: Screw you! Guy that was dolphin kicking passed me at Benbrook pool last friday [Chris Martin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chris Martin wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

Ya, AJ is a fast swimmer and fast kicker:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Screw you! Guy that was dolphin kicking passed me at Benbrook pool last friday [Chris Martin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are a number of us on this board who can do that...

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Screw you! Guy that was dolphin kicking passed me at Benbrook pool last friday [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was hoping to just stay anonymous but man, y'all are relentless :). I do own The Fort Worth Swim School as well as Fike Swim Products. I did swim at Trials in 2000, though my best times were 1:04 LC and :54 SCY. Not sure why I was a breaststroker. My best event was either 200IM (1:49 scy) or 100 fly (:49 unshaved, unrested). I'll probably try 100 fly if I go for Trials. My best 50y underwater dolphin is :24 from a push. Anyway, hope this clears everything up. Best of luck to everyone with their training.
Quote Reply
Re: Screw you! Guy that was dolphin kicking passed me at Benbrook pool last friday [Sweem] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweem wrote:
I was hoping to just stay anonymous but man, y'all are relentless :). I do own The Fort Worth Swim School as well as Fike Swim Products. I did swim at Trials in 2000, though my best times were 1:04 LC and :54 SCY. Not sure why I was a breaststroker. My best event was either 200IM (1:49 scy) or 100 fly (:49 unshaved, unrested). I'll probably try 100 fly if I go for Trials. My best 50y underwater dolphin is :24 from a push. Anyway, hope this clears everything up. Best of luck to everyone with their training.

Google makes it hard to stay anonymous, espec since the other poster said you ran the fort worth swim school. I skimmed through the USAS pdf file of the 2000 Trials and the 100 breast was the only event i saw your name in. Did i miss the 200 IM and 100 fly???

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope, only swam 100 breast in 2000.
Quote Reply
Re: Screw you! Guy that was dolphin kicking passed me at Benbrook pool last friday [Sweem] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweem wrote:
Nope, only swam 100 breast in 2000.

Interesting, clearly you are an all-round swimmer with 100 br in one Trials and 100 fly in a 2nd one, not to mention your fast 200 IM time:)

Quote Reply
Re: Screw you! Guy that was dolphin kicking passed me at Benbrook pool last friday [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
There are a number of us on this board who can do that...
In 8 kicks? You guys rock. I youtubed it and saw a guy do 25 in :15 but he kicked 30ish times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
8 kicks? No, no-one can do that. I doubt that even phelps could do that.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Screw you! Guy that was dolphin kicking passed me at Benbrook pool last friday [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
8 kicks? No, no-one can do that. I doubt that even phelps could do that.

from post #13 of this thread:
Without a board, and 8 kicks UW (about 10 M) off each wall.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I apparently am not one of them (after all). I did 6 on :55 and only went under :40 on 2 of them. Still, my wife and kids think I am awesome so at least I have that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah, that's easy. he didn't say he did 25m underwater in 8 kicks.

10m in 8 kicks vs 25. 10m underwater vs 25.

10m in 8 kicks actually seems kinda short to me. I get to 5m in zero to 1 kick, 8-9 kicks would probably get me to around the 15m mark.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Screw you! Guy that was dolphin kicking passed me at Benbrook pool last friday [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
when I originally replied, I didn't see the post about the 4x50 on 1:00 all at 36. That's a little tougher, particularly if you are extending the underwaters. It catches up to you.

I might give that a try, see what I can do. 36 scy converts to a 40 scm (roughly), I think I can do that for 4. it'll be a challenge, but at least something to break up the breaststroke drills.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Screw you! Guy that was dolphin kicking passed me at Benbrook pool last friday [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
I apparently am not one of them (after all). I did 6 on :55 and only went under :40 on 2 of them. Still, my wife and kids think I am awesome so at least I have that.

AJ I'm interested to know if you are faster on your stomach or back or the same? For back I love underwaters and even on a swim down set I will take them to the midpoint of a 25 yard pool every length. Pushing off on my stomach? Whew, I have LONG way to go b/f my dolphins are worth doing. Honestly in freestyle I'm faster at this stage to break out right around my hips breaking the flags....any longer underwater and I'm losing time. F L E X I B I L I T Y in progress face down.
Quote Reply
Re: Screw you! Guy that was dolphin kicking passed me at Benbrook pool last friday [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They "should" be the same, but they seem different because of the visuals, and you might be using your abs better on your back because of the constant exhale.

Try closing your eyes, and make sure you aren't breaking streamline to look for the surface. The surface is still in the same place it was on the last lap, and the lap before that, and the lap before that.....

also try starting the dolphin kick on your back, then rotate to your stomach while kicking, trying to keep the same motion going the whole way.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Apr 23, 15 5:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
They "should" be the same, but they seem different because of the visuals, and you might be using your abs better on your back because of the constant exhale.

Try closing your eyes, and make sure you aren't breaking streamline to look for the surface. The surface is still in the same place it was on the last lap, and the lap before that, and the lap before that.....

That's what my coach keeps telling me, that it should be pretty much the same. Something feels squeawonky for sure I know it will come at some point. Underwaters on my back just felt natural from day one, but face down not so much. I am not crazy flexibile and a good streamline is not easy for me so lots to go with that in the future too. I stretch so much and get a lot of soft tissue work done......damn kids made out of rubber in those bullet streamlines make me jealous!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is so much harder in meters - even scm - because the walls are so important. If you can do 4 on 1:05 @ :42 or under then I think you can do them 1:00/:36 in yards
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chris Martin wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

I can't dolphin kick... to step up the ridiculousness. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Screw you! Guy that was dolphin kicking passed me at Benbrook pool last friday [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerpaws wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

That's what my coach keeps telling me, that it should be pretty much the same. Something feels squeawonky for sure I know it will come at some point. Underwaters on my back just felt natural from day one, but face down not so much. I am not crazy flexibile and a good streamline is not easy for me so lots to go with that in the future too. I stretch so much and get a lot of soft tissue work done......damn kids made out of rubber in those bullet streamlines make me jealous!

Maybe you should look up IT, he might have some good tips for you ;-)

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
tigerpaws wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Maybe you should look up IT, he might have some good tips for you ;-)

I don't think he comes around any longer, but the h2o guy is a fine replacement. He makes me smile.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe its like Beetlejuice. Try saying his name 3 times...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To make things fun, my kid challenged me to an IM kick race with a board. I'm not much of a swimmer. So we start off on dolphin kick and, about 10y in, I realize he is getting ready to absolutely smoke me. I try to up the effort and cramp so badly I had to stop. Laughing, pointing, mocking ... he was 8 years old.
Quote Reply
Re: Screw you! Guy that was dolphin kicking passed me at Benbrook pool last friday [Goosedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LMAO...

I would have laughed at you too ;-) and probably taken video and put it up on Facebook for all to see.

After all, if you can't laugh at yourself, find someone else to laugh at.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Apr 23, 15 6:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerpaws wrote:
ajthomas wrote:

AJ I'm interested to know if you are faster on your stomach or back or the same? For back I love underwaters and even on a swim down set I will take them to the midpoint of a 25 yard pool every length. Pushing off on my stomach? Whew, I have LONG way to go b/f my dolphins are worth doing. Honestly in freestyle I'm faster at this stage to break out right around my hips breaking the flags....any longer underwater and I'm losing time. F L E X I B I L I T Y in progress face down.

Same issue here. I cannot get that same umph with the press on my stomach. It makes no sense because when you are submerged in water what difference does it make?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
tigerpaws wrote:
ajthomas wrote:

Same issue here. I cannot get that same umph with the press on my stomach. It makes no sense because when you are submerged in water what difference does it make?

Dude heck if I know.....I look at it like breaststroke. It's a 'black art'. I look at these kids doing sub 60 100 scy breast in practice and I watch underwater and I say 'this doesn't add up'. Dolphin work is just one of those things where I accept it's gonna stay weird for me probably.
Quote Reply

Prev Next