Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Scott Plasma 5 Discussion
Quote | Reply
Thoughts on the new Scott Plasma 5? http://www.slowtwitch.com/...t_Plasma_5_4450.html

The front end looks....interesting to say the least

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 5 Discussion [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The front end looks like it's got some malignant mutant tumor growth. Not pretty but sure is fast!
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 5 Discussion [over9000!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
over9000! wrote:
The front end looks like it's got some malignant mutant tumor growth. Not pretty but sure is fast!

Congratulations on making me almost spit my coffee out laughing!

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a little hard to tell, but it looks like you could run into some tire clearance issues up front with the cutout in the down tube and the clearance from the nose cone. I'd guess those are 700x23s, but I'd be interested to know if you could run 25s or 28s.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I currently ride a shiv and if I were to get a new bike today I think this would be it. I use the bladder in the shiv for storing calories and 1 BTA water bottle to swap on course. I feel this is an extremely aerodynamic setup compared to almost anything else.

I like the nose cone storage idea even more than the fuelselage (bladder), the brakes look better than the shiv (they are a pain to adjust and often end up rubbing). The only thing is that a BTA bottle might not be an option on the plasma 5 if you want access to the re-fill port, but I would be fine covering that up with a water bottle since I never plan on refilling there.

The only thing I would want to get comfortable with is how very hard, gusty crosswinds might affect you with that big sail of a nose-cone. I bet it's probably fine if your used to deep front wheels.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Thoughts on the new Scott Plasma 5?

Looks slippery, and I like their out of the box thinking.

However ...

I am a bit troubled by all of the proprietary single-company parts (special brakes, special storage containers, special bottles, special rubber and plastic fairings, etc.) coming up on new bikes. Clearly, the Scott parts look very well integrated. But if you keep this bike, or buy one used in 10 years, are you going to be able to find any of these things as replacement parts? Very unlikely (well, maybe a few NOS ones on ebay for a lot of money). Which kinda means the frame will end up in a landfill a lot sooner than need be.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Front end looks A LOT like a nosecone shiv

My only real concern is whether or not they did enough with the seat tube. I recall reading that was an area of focus for the P5 and, iirc, the Speed Concept as well with the draft box. In any event, the Plasma 5 doesn't seem to slow down Kienle @_@
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So what does a Plasma 4 look like!!!!???

A 5 without the nose cone????

-------------------
Trying since 81
-------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 5 Discussion [Magma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was thinking the same thing. They said that the front end can be changed out but does it then just have a smaller piece that fits over the brake area without the hydration.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Flat stem version is perfect. Looks crazy from the front.
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 5 Discussion [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The front-end looks pretty complicated. How many different pieces are there to take it apart?

Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 5 Discussion [masa757] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I assume this is the Plasma 4?
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 5 Discussion [writhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If that is the 4 I sort of like it better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So how many stems are available for this bike? It looks like the hydration system works with only one of the stems, or is there a separate system for each size of the stem?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought the same thing. That is a lot of parts on the front to deal with if you need to remove the bottle.

Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 5 Discussion [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm under the impression that there is a tri specific version which comes with the raised stem and integrated bento/hydration boxes. Then they have the Flat stem TT version. I'm unaware of anything in between so far. The Tri version looks like one hell of a pain in my ass to wrench.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
I thought the same thing. That is a lot of parts on the front to deal with if you need to remove the bottle.

I am guessing the bottle just clips on and off that metal bracket shown in the pic without the bottle. Then you just unbolt the bracket. I am guessing some of those parts you see are probably permantnly attached to the bottle, but made of rubbers, so they deflect allowing the bottle to slide on and off while keeping a smooth shape while in place.
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 5 Discussion [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure the final build will be like the green one but red /DA Mech / Alloy Rims

The 10 and the 20/30 ( can't remember if it was 1 or the other) have road bike stem style like P3 Cervelo style.

-------------------
Trying since 81
-------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a really clean front end. Wonder if the basebar is proprietary. Extensions are made PRO.

Also womder where the controlling junctions are.

Also, anyone know if the lady has hotten less zaftig?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any info about sizing, stack and reach?

Scot
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 5 Discussion [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 5 Discussion [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

that's awful. thank god for uci tt bike regs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kienle testing the Plasma 5 on the velodrome with a sleeved tri suit:

https://www.facebook.com/...889333786&type=1

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone else notice that Kienle and co were testing a new tri shoe from Scott? BOA closure on top strap. Hopefully the cleat holes are far enough back...

Quote Reply

Prev Next