Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Scott Plasma 3 Owners Thread [masa757] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think they are supposed to get the wheel flush with the frame.

The brake arms are secondary. Brakes can be centred to the wheel after they wheel is centred to the frame. If you are centred to the brake arms but not the frame then it might well be the brake that is the issue.

I may have missed something or misunderstood, whack a picture up.

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
masa757 wrote:
Yeah the brake was mounted to the bike and had the brake arms pushed out into the frame because that is how wide the super 9 is. I just got back from the bike shop and they said my Super 9 was perfectly straight and center, which now leaves me with the frame being crooked as the only possible diagnosis. I've done EVERYTHING possible to make it work, but all has failed.

If you have a wide wheel and are using 7800 brakes, chances are it's the brake. While you can adjust how wide the brakes will open, the is accomplished by moving one brake arm only while the other stays fixed. So if you are trying to center your wheel according to a brake at its widest position, things will be off.

I had to resort to sand paper (only on one side) in order to get the proper brake clearance and having the wheel centered.
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 3 Owners Thread [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well Bottom line I can't get the wheel centered no matter what. Its a solid 1-2mm to the left. Hold on while i get a good pic.
Last edited by: masa757: Jul 2, 14 18:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Last edited by: masa757: Jul 2, 14 18:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that is odd. do you maybe have the 10 speed cassette spacer on the hub with an 11 speed cassette by accident?

Andy Mullen
Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 3 Owners Thread [andy515] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope I can guarentee no clumsy mistakes. I've disassembled and reassembled that bike for servicing every couple weeks for a year so I know it VERY well. Still running that 10spd but since the super 9 is 2014 its on an 11spd hub with a 10spd spacer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have a pic of it out of the trainer stand? Possible the trainer is pushing the rear triangle askew?

-Alex

Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 3 Owners Thread [bostonalex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Marino just posted a partial picture of the new Plasma 5 he will be rocking relatively shortly. Should be seeing a whole new bike maybe like Sebi's pretty soon!

"Grind it til' you find it..."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do not have a pic of it off the stand, but the trainer is not secure so there is no pressure on the dropouts. When it is off the trainer it makes no difference. I hope the main revision to the Plasma 5 is that it comes perfectly straight... that would be a major upgrade.... for me... and my crooked ass.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gotcha. I think it has to do with the 11-speed hub. I remember seeing a post a short while back from Superdave of Felt regarding this on a early B-series bike (same brake and similar chain stay width design). He said something about removing a washer or something from inside the hub or something. I'll see if I can find it.

Andy Mullen
Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It has nothing to do with the 11 speed hub because i've tried multiple wheels in the dropouts and all of them sit off center. Plus I just got the dish checked on my SUper 9 and he said it was straighter than straight could get.
Last edited by: masa757: Jul 3, 14 8:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
masa757 wrote:
Well Bottom line I can't get the wheel centered no matter what. Its a solid 1-2mm to the left. Hold on while i get a good pic.

what you wrote below suggested you centered the wheel according to the brake, not according to the frame. remove the brake pads, forget how centered the wheel is in the brake, and adjust the screws to see if you can center your wheel relative to the frame

it may very well be an issue with your frame, and in which case, i'm very sorry to hear that you'd be exchanging things for the third time, but it may just be something else.

btw, do you have any other wide wheels? the last thing i just remembered is that when converting a 10-speed to an 11-speed, the dishing would need to be adjusted, so it may very well be just that; alternatively, do you have another 11-speed wheel on which you are running 10-speed?

masa757 wrote:
Yeah the brake was mounted to the bike and had the brake arms pushed out into the frame because that is how wide the super 9 is. I just got back from the bike shop and they said my Super 9 was perfectly straight and center, which now leaves me with the frame being crooked as the only possible diagnosis. I've done EVERYTHING possible to make it work, but all has failed.

masa757 wrote:
Yeah I was actually very fond of those screws....very helpful to getting wheel centered in between the brake arms, but thats it. Wheel just doesn't sit flush with the frame. I can take a picture if you'd like?

Jaymz wrote:
I think they are supposed to get the wheel flush with the frame.

The brake arms are secondary. Brakes can be centred to the wheel after they wheel is centred to the frame. If you are centred to the brake arms but not the frame then it might well be the brake that is the issue.

I may have missed something or misunderstood, whack a picture up.

echappist wrote:
masa757 wrote:

If you have a wide wheel and are using 7800 brakes, chances are it's the brake. While you can adjust how wide the brakes will open, the is accomplished by moving one brake arm only while the other stays fixed. So if you are trying to center your wheel according to a brake at its widest position, things will be off.

I had to resort to sand paper (only on one side) in order to get the proper brake clearance and having the wheel centered.
Last edited by: echappist: Jul 3, 14 8:23
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 3 Owners Thread [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No I did NOT adjust according to the brake. The brake arms are pushed into the frame. There is no more room for moving left and right. When i center the wheel with the frame via the screws in the dropouts the right brake pad is pinned stuck between the wheel and the frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
andy515 wrote:
gotcha. I think it has to do with the 11-speed hub. I remember seeing a post a short while back from Superdave of Felt regarding this on a early B-series bike (same brake and similar chain stay width design). He said something about removing a washer or something from inside the hub or something. I'll see if I can find it.

The top of the chainstay mounted brakes that Felt used on the last versions of DA/B2 level bikes offered additional clearance by removing the conical spacer between the brake arm and the pad holder. Removing this spacer (not an axle spacer) allowed for ~4mm wider clearance and thus the modern 25-27.7mm wide rims.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 3 Owners Thread [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep that usually does the trick but that Super 9 is something else though. SOOO wide. Those washers were never on my brake arms, I removed them long ago because I knew my wheels were wide before I got them and having experienced this problem years ago on my Trek Sc7.5 on Aeolus 9's I already knew it must be done. With no cable tension, the brake arms pushed out to the frame, the washers removed, the Super 9 barely gets that mm of clearance on each side but still does not sit center with frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
masa757 wrote:
Yep that usually does the trick but that Super 9 is something else though. SOOO wide. Those washers were never on my brake arms, I removed them long ago because I knew my wheels were wide before I got them and having experienced this problem years ago on my Trek Sc7.5 on Aeolus 9's I already knew it must be done. With no cable tension, the brake arms pushed out to the frame, the washers removed, the Super 9 barely gets that mm of clearance on each side but still does not sit center with frame.

I think your only recourse is to buy a Felt. :)
Are you using the TRP T925 brake? Would offset pads buy you more vertical clearance to allow the pads to open more?

Curious as to why you moved from a SC to a SCott?

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So basically you can't find a wheel that you can center on the frame? That would be such amazingly bad luck... I know on my Plasma 20 I had to play with the screws in the dropouts.

Ok, I do have an idea... Try this, it happened to me, so who knows. When I first mounted my FLO 90 in the rear, I nearly screwed myself with the little dropout screws.

Basically, the dropouts "widened" with no tension from the skewer. What ended up happening is that the hub was inside of the screw, not "on top of" the screw.

Does that make sense? So basically, when I started tightening the skewer, I was inside the drive side screw instead of on top of it. I now make sure I check the skewer is seated correctly after I get some tension on the skewer to make sure the hub is properly seated.

It could be that you're inside the screw, which would mean that no matter what you do, you're never getting centered.

Just a thought...

-Alex

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah I get what you are saying. This crossed my mind also but it wasn't the case. The dropout screws were doing there job very well which is why I was fond of them.

Superdave, an IA sounds AMAZING but my pockets only go so deep. I switched from the sc to the Scott for the geometry and the wider range of fit adjustments that a 2011 sc7.5 does not offer. Handling characteristics was the HUGEST part for me. I feel very confident coming into any corner at whatever speed with the flat stem plasma especially over the Sc7.5. Aesthetics was just a cherry on top.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
masa757 wrote:
Yeah I get what you are saying. This crossed my mind also but it wasn't the case. The dropout screws were doing there job very well which is why I was fond of them.

Superdave, an IA sounds AMAZING but my pockets only go so deep. I switched from the sc to the Scott for the geometry and the wider range of fit adjustments that a 2011 sc7.5 does not offer. Handling characteristics was the HUGEST part for me. I feel very confident coming into any corner at whatever speed with the flat stem plasma especially over the Sc7.5. Aesthetics was just a cherry on top.

How deep? :)

-SD
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 3 Owners Thread [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not very deep after the Super 9/404 purchase and all the losses i've taken this month. And btw I just got back from another bike shop. They dish checked my Super 9 and said it did NOT pass. Then threw some different wheels into the dropouts and said the frame does not sit center either. I had the bike shop take care of warranty's with both Scott and Zipp this time because I've just had it. The people at Scott are great to deal with and all but i'll sit this one out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looking for a Plasma Premium uncut seat mast. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 3 Owners Thread [Jaymz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well the conclusion is that the Scott Plasma 3 premium does not accept a wheel as wide as the Zipp Super 9. Still don't know why it worked perfectly on my last frame and not this one but HED jets and other rims have fit no problemo. Anybody trying to get a Super 9 for there plasma 3, ABORT mission!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just racked my bike at IMC. Went to see Marino's new Plasma 5 on the pro rack. I was not that impressed in the recent media pics but racked next I the other Shiv's, P5's and New Treks it looks on another level. It's in all black, fluro yellow/green logos and super clean front end. No phone with me for pics though sorry.

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 3 Owners Thread [2moremiles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Contact your Scott dealer. They will order you one.

NCCP certified Comp coach
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 3 Owners Thread [2moremiles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, mine just arrived. It took 4-5 days.
Quote Reply

Prev Next