Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Scott Plasma 3 Owners Thread [turducken] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm, having a hard time figuring this out.

The Plasma 3 has a BB86. The Zipp Vuma Chrono is a 30mm spindle. What bearings can go into the Plasma 3 to make a 30mm spindle work with it?

I'm considering a Plasma 3 but really want to use a Vision carbon Trimax BB30. Is this possible?
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 3 Owners Thread [prattzc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only bb86 bb90 cranks will work. I got the vision trimax bb30 and the spindle was too short to make it through the frame as well as too thick. It was lyin around so i figured id find out first hand. Rotor 3d tt aero is a pretty good crank anyway..
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 3 Owners Thread [masa757] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How did Turducken get the Zipp Chrono to fit? That's a 30mm spindle I think.

Looking into the Rotor PF4130 and the Flow. Expensive as all hell though.
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 3 Owners Thread [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Finally done!

it took two drillings through the stem to route the front housing. a 7 hour process

Still taped down. Probably will use a double sided tape soon enough
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is badass. Stem is just awesome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice work. What brake caliper are you using for the rear?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Jan 29, 14 9:28
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 3 Owners Thread [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you both for the kind words.

Rear brake is DA 7800, which gives good clearance for almost all cranksets
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 3 Owners Thread [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A couple questions for everyone......
1. Has anyone here actually used the grey, black and white missile evo stem and bars with the mechanical plasma 3 frame?
2. Does the mechanical frame/fork have a cutout to run the cables down the steerer tube and into the frame like the di2 frame/fork does?
I want to route everything internal if at all possible, and ideally use that stem. I cannot find a picture anywhere of that stem/frame combo. The yellow HTC stems are different than the actual missile evo stems visually, but are they functionally the same? If the HTC stem fits, does that mean the missile evo stem should fit? At the moment I'm running mechanical DA, but will switch to di2 next season. I'm thinking it may be a tall task to internally route mechanical, but that's the goal. Thanks for any help.
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 3 Owners Thread [jonfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure about tge first one. You may want to borrow someone's missile Evo stem and see if it fits. Official words from Scott is that they don't, but it doesn't hurt to try.

As for your second question, it's foable, but you'll need to drill holes through the steer tube and the front of the frame. By no means an easy task. But i know of people who have done it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the bars/stem, I'm just waiting on taking anything apart until I get refit with those bars. I figured a dremel would be needed, the idea of putting a small hole in the steerer tube is a bit scary though. Can anyone with experience doing this chime in??? I'm thinking that the cable routing will be too sharp to go from the extensions, down the spacers, through the stem, into the steerer tube, then into the frame. Easy once I go di2, but not sure about mechanical.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Friend of a friend has done the drilling, and i've seen the pictures to know it could be done. I can speak with my friend to see if he'd permit me to share the photos, but bottom line is it could be done.

Also, to clarify, i was talking Di-2 only. The bend from extension to riser and from riser to basebar would almost certainly be too severe for mechanical shifting

Edit: correction, you may not need to drill through the frame if there's an openin on the inside of the headtube that will lead to the inside of the frame. Drilling of steer tube is still necessary
Last edited by: echappist: Jan 29, 14 9:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I don't remember if there is an opening into my frame from the steerer tube or not, or if there is a hole in the back of the steerer tube to match up to it. We'll find out when we take off my current bars once my new fit is completed. On a side note, does anyone here have any end caps for the evo bars? I only need one, and cant find them anywhere. Shimano customer service wants me to buy a riser kit and they will include the end caps, but I would rather not buy risers, they are just going to sit here and not be used.
Last edited by: jonfl: Jan 29, 14 12:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anybody else have problems with making sure the stem/handlebars are perfectly aligned with there front wheel? I'm pretty sure mine is pretty dead aligned but only to my eyeball. This is the only reason I want Scott to redesign this bike with a fully integrated front end and brakes..... so I don't waste anymore time making sure they're centered and didn't get knocked out of adjustment during a ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm curious about this too...
the pro missile stem that is. Hope no one was hoping for the Scott zero-drop stem ...talked with Scott last week. Guess the 8-10 that came into the country are/where spoken for in about a day .. So need to try another option for the fit in looking for.... So the PRO. Stem is reallly my only option... If it works not sure why it wouldn't
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 3 Owners Thread [PlacidPirate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Plasma steerer is 1 inch, the PRO stem is 1.1/8 so you'd have to shim it. Also, I don't believe the stem fits flush with the frame because of the shim and headset interface. Scott might caution you that not using the standard stem or (shorter/longer version of it) will void warranty.
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 3 Owners Thread [AndresLD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah saw the size differences...just really frustrated that a seemingly simple part to manufacture, and that has been previously....which there is a also a demand for...Scott can't make some more of these?!?!?
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 3 Owners Thread [masa757] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I understood that the Rotor cranks were Shimano BB30 compatible. Did you have to do anything special in terms of adaptors or anything to get a Rotor onto a GXP BB?

Shut up legs.
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 3 Owners Thread [BBAddict] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BBAddict wrote:
I understood that the Rotor cranks were Shimano BB30 compatible. Did you have to do anything special in terms of adaptors or anything to get a Rotor onto a GXP BB?

There are BB standards: namely by diameter and width. Examples of which are pressfit 86 mm wide, standard English 68 mm wide, and BB30 (not sure about the exact dimensions).

BB86 refers to the fact that the bottom bracket area is now 86 mm wide, which incorporates the width of the cartridges. It accepts traditional width (i.e. non BBb-30 type) crankset

Plasma 3 are pressfit, BB86 type, which means it will accept any cartridges made to that spec. Shimano (and Rotor), FSA, and GXP all make pressfit bottom brackets that fit into the shell.

Then there are crankset standards. Shimano and Rotor have a spindle that is 24 mm wide throughout, and GXP is 24 mm on the drive side tapered to 22 mm on the NDS. So a Rotor spindle will not work with a GXP cartridge and vice versa.

If you need to get a Rotor crank onto the frame, just buy the shimano bb86 road pressfit bottom brackets and you are good to go. Fyi, shimano never made BB30 cranksets, though rotor does have the 3D+ which is compatible with BB shells that can accommodate BB-30 bottom brackets.

Which is to say, all very confusing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good clarification but it unfortunately doesn't help a ton. I was hoping to try to hop on the short crank revolution and see how that works without changing up too much right away! I was looking at doing a 165mm Rotor on the Plasma, but I have a SRAM quarq set up on there now that I would like to easily be able to fall back to without having to replace the bottom bracket. I understand that there is little to no guarantee that a removed press fit BB will not be damaged in so doing. I might just have to bite the bullet but I think I'll just try a cheap SRAM Apex or something first to see how it feels. I'm training on a Wahoo, so I'll still have access to power but I won't be able to try the non-asymmetric rings I guess. Thanks again!

Shut up legs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well, as an owner of a rotor crank with a shimano pressfit, i can tell you that i've popped off the crankset and BB on numerous occasions without issue. In the old days, threads on the threaded cup/cartridges could get cross threaded during installation, but this won't be an issue here.

That said, buying an used Apex crankset would be wise as you get to try it out with minimal investment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There isn't enough info to answer your question. And what you said doesn't make sense. Shimano doesn't make a bb30 native crank.

some rotor cranks have a 30mm spindle, some have a 24mm spindle

those with a 24mm spindle are plug and play with Shimano. Those with a 30mm could be made to work with bb86 wih a special beaing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope. There were no spacers or adapters and it was put onto a bb86.5 shimano bottom bracket. When I first got the Rotor 3d TT aero crank the instructions said that this crank has been designed for a Shimano bottom bracket only and further specified that it will not work with a sram gxp bottom bracket. I use to be a Sram guy and the last sram gxp bottom bracket bike I had the washers that go on before you install the crank seemed to be grooved to fit only sram cranks. I tried to make it fit a shimano ultegra crank I had but it didn't even fit onto the grooves of the non drive side crank. The Vision aero crank I got was a bb30 that I mistakingly ordered but figured I'd see if I can make it work with the Plasma but the crank didn't even make it to the other side of the frame....
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 3 Owners Thread [Magma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Magma wrote:
Anyone got a L56 that they're looking to sell?

I have 1 x new L Plasma 3 frame/fork/headset/90mm flat stem (with shark!)/seatmast.

Also have a set of 7800/7900 calipers suitable for it......
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 3 Owners Thread [d20903] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
d20903 wrote:
Magma wrote:
Anyone got a L56 that they're looking to sell?

I have 1 x new L Plasma 3 frame/fork/headset/90mm flat stem (with shark!)/seatmast.

Also have a set of 7800/7900 calipers suitable for it......

Pm sent!

-------------------
Trying since 81
-------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Plasma 3 Owners Thread [prattzc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
prattzc wrote:
How did Turducken get the Zipp Chrono to fit? That's a 30mm spindle I think.

Looking into the Rotor PF4130 and the Flow. Expensive as all hell though.

I used this bearing

http://www.dulight.fr/...amp;products_id=1590

With the zipp crank, it is different than other cranks. The non drive side crank pulls up onto a taper. So the width of the bearings once installed, is critical, as there is no adjustment in the cranks. I had to make one shim to get the "side clearance" right. I imagine more "normal" crank set ups that you can move the crank along the spline, would work fine, so long as the axle is long enough.

Hope that makes sense.
Quote Reply

Prev Next