Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sandman Tri Virginia Beach
Quote | Reply
I know from hearing various grumblings that there are those who disagree with me, but I have to say well done to the Sandman Triathlon for continuing for a 32nd year on a less than stellar day. The race has had some bad luck in the last decade or so, but it's got some rich history and is certainly an old-time classic race, enough that I would hate to see it die out. Fortunately there has been a swim the three years I've lived here and done the race. Last year it was practically Lake Atlantic, but this year was somewhere in the neighborhood of 4-6 footers, and they weren't nice, clean waves but a messy combination of about 4 different swells. That said, it's an ocean swim, and this year's race captured that quite well just as the run course along the boardwalk and ride through the resort hotels does. Getting out through the surf took a little bit of specific skill and knowledge (under not over, and under deep enough to let it wash over you), but from there it was fairly simple once you got past the breakers and turned parallel to shore. I know a large number of athletes did not complete the swim, but I don't necessarily view this as terrible. The VB Ocean Lifeguards have a MUCH, MUCH better idea than any of the rest of us on what's safe and not safe, as they're the ones that ultimately have to do the rescuing and are out there every single day in the summer.
As I understand it, athletes who did not complete the swim were also permitted to continue on with the bike and run, but not for an official time, which seems a reasonable compromise. An ocean swim is inherently going to be more difficult, just as a hilly bike/run course, hot day, windy day, etc is going to be. We weren't swimming in hurricane conditions or anything like that, and again, with the knowledge of how to get through the waves with relative ease, it made for a unique challenge that isn't left in many races.

IG: idking90
Quote Reply