Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

San Diego Swimming
Quote | Reply
I am going to be in San Diego in a few weeks for a conference, staying at the Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines and would like to get in some open water swimming. It looks like the beach is not too far from the hotel...what are the conditions this time of year? Can I do a swim along the coast from the beach near the hotel?
Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: San Diego Swimming [TriFRED] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
La jolla cove and/or la jolla shores are popular open water swim areas. water is COLD right now - mid-50s. Only people I know swimming out there regularly right now are training to swim the English Channel and they go wetsuit-less. insane!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can definitely swim outside this time of year--- Water temp is around 56. You need a wetsuit and a thin neoprene swim cap is a nice extra touch. My wife also uses 1.5mm neoprene gloves and socks, but you can do just fine without them. La Jolla Cove and Del Mar are two great beaches for swimming. The cove is my favorite.

Here's some info on the cove: http://www.sandiego.gov/...s/beaches/cove.shtml

The San Diego Triathlon Club has group open water swims at Del Mar every Sunday morning at 8:00 AM: http://www.triclubsandiego.org/events/375526.html

-Marc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines...the beach is not too far from the hotel

The beach is on the other side of the golf course, then another 450 feet or so...down. This hotel is on top of a bluff, next to Torrey Pines Golf Course.

Torrey Pines State beach is just north about 2 miles, down a big ole hill.

Just don't wantcha thinking it's a leasurely stroll from your hotel to the beach...

---
"You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious."

"I can live with doubt and uncertainty and not knowing. I think it is much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers that might be wrong." -- Richard Feynman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
water is definitely not warm but surfers are out there. Personally I don't think much of open water swimming, you can get much better swim workouts in the pool.

Last Sunday we actually went down there. Torrey Pines is great for some short hiking and perfect for running! We saw about 25 dolphins that day. I've never seen them surf waves like that and one jumped in the air several times. Definitely cool stuff. You'll ennoy it. I'd say swim at a pool and bring your running shoes.

�The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it.� -Michelangelo

MoodBoost Drink : Mood Support + Energy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just a heads up, the surf near the hotel is well known for being somewhat more powerful and treacherous (rip currents etc) than most surrounding beaches. The bluffs adjacent to the beach are kinda unstable (they tend to fall unexpectedly). There are a lot of naked gay people. Paragliders buzz around. The water near the lagoon mouth just north of the hotel is often polluted.

Now the good news: the cover is nearby (other posters mention this). It's a fantastic swim. La Jolla shores is even closer and has more parking etc. Some people like to swim shores-to-cove and back. Easy to do and relatively flat water once you're through the minor surf at the south end of the shores.
http://www.sandiego.gov/...beaches/shores.shtml

The Coggan family aquatic center is not too far and has a great pool as does UCSD masters.
www.cfaquatics.org
http://recreation.ucsd.edu/...amp;cs=fac&id=68

Surf conditions can be found at surfline.com and www.surfshot.com.

If you're a strong swimmer w/ a lot of open water surf experience then go for it near the hotel, but I think you'll see the set up and end up at the cove...

Have fun!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Helo TriFRED and All,

http://www.sharkresearchcommittee.com/unprovoked_diver.htm

http://www.lajollalight.com/...030731try_birch.html

========================================================================
Shark Attack: Scripps Pier, August 24th, 2005
On August 24, 2005, Tony Simmonson was surfing near the Scripps pier at La Jolla Shores, San Diego. It was 11:00 AM and he had been in the water about one hour. The sky was clear with an air temperature of about 80 degrees. The surf was running about 4 feet with a water temperature in the mid-60s and good visibility. He was about 30 feet from shore in water 3 feet deep with a sandy bottom. There was an undetermined number of dolphins in the area feeding on the thousands of baitfish that were schooling close inshore.

Simmonson recounted; “I had headed in for the beach and stepped off my board in about 3 feet of water. As soon as my foot touched bottom a shark bit me on my lower right leg, on the inside side near my ankle. I only saw it while it was biting me. Then it swam away. I reported the incident to the lifeguard on duty. I self-medicated bite with rubbing alcohol and bandage. It stopped bleeding after about 1/2 hour. It swelled up for several days after the incident. The shark was about 4 feet in length and dark gray with a stocky body.”

Photographs of the bite show three distinct tooth punctures on the inner surface of the right ankle. Interspace measurements suggest a juvenile white shark of the size indicated by the subject, about 4 feet.

This is the second known attack on a surfer by a juvenile white shark. Please report any shark sighting, encounter or attack to the Shark Research Committee.

=======================================================

Cheers,

Neal

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Last edited by: nealhe: Jan 25, 07 21:29
Quote Reply
Re: San Diego Swimming [RL_SD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to everyone for the feedback, great options...with St. Croix and Alcatraz on the calendar I think I can find reason to go in the ocean as well as stick with the pool options, since I'm there for a week I might find time for both...I'm really fired up about the running options!

Are there any other "musts" for an STer in SD? must see bike shops...?
Quote Reply
Re: San Diego Swimming [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't forget to mention the big Kahuna of San Diego shark attacks:

On Sunday, 14 June 1959, Robert Pamperin, age 33, was free diving for abalone in 6 to 7 fathoms of water. The water featured 7 meters of visibility and a temperature of 20°C. At 1710 hours, Pamperin and his diving companion, Gerald Lehrer, age 30, were about 50 meters from shore at Alligator Head. The temperature of the air was 21°C and there was a light overcast. Pamperin was wearing blue swim fins, a pink bathing suit, a black mask and black diving gloves, and carried a yellow-handled abalone iron. A black inner tube, with an attached burlap sack, was being utilized by the two divers and was also in the same area.

Alligator Head, located at the west end of La Jolla Cove
in La Jolla, San Diego County, California
(32°51.3'N; 117°16.5'W)

The divers had slowly drifted away from one another until separated by 10 to 15 meters, with Lehrer 20 meters from the point and Pamperin 30 to 40 meters. Unexpectedly, Lehrer heard Pamperin yell out, "Help me!" Turning quickly in the direction from which he heard the voice, he saw his companion upright and unnaturally high out of the water, with his mask missing. Lehrer began swimming toward his friend, thinking he might have a cramp. While looking at Pamperin, Lehrer later recounted, "Suddenly everything was moving in slow motion." He watched in disbelief as his friend slowly disappeared beneath the surface of the crimson water. Startled, Lehrer quickly dived beneath the surface to see Pamperin in the jaws of a shark he estimated to be more than 7 meters in length.
As this drama was unfolding, William Abitz stood on an elevated rock formation that overlooked the attack site. He was alerted to the event by Pamperin's cries for help. Abitz recounted, "Pamperin was thrashing as if he were trying to run away from something, then he disappeared below the surface." In the water, Lehrer could see his friend in the mouth of the shark, his legs not visible. He surfaced just long enough to gasp a breath of air, then dived under to try and help his friend. He observed the shark lying in a sandy area on the bottom, jerking from side to side. It appeared the shark was trying to either swallow or spit out Pamperin. Lehrer returned to the surface, inhaled air and dived under the water again. He swam toward the bottom, waving his arms frantically in an attempt to frighten the shark away, but it ignored him and kept twisting back and forth. Realizing nothing could be done, Lehrer swam toward the beach, being met 10 to 15 meters from shore by Abitz, who had swum out to assist the diver. Upon reaching shore, they located lifeguards, who informed local authorities of the attack.
Within less than an hour, 10 highly qualified scuba divers, including Conrad Limbaugh of the Scripps Institution of Oceanography, spent an estimated two hours searching the attack location in an unsuccessful attempt to locate the victim. United States Coast Guard helicopter pilot Harold B. MacDuffy observed a blue swim fin floating at the surface, as well as a dead seal or Sea Lion (Zalophus californicus), but did not see any sharks. Several hours following the attack, Pamperin's inner tube, containing two abalone (Haliotis sp.), was recovered at the La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club.
Following the attack on Pamperin, much deliberation was - and since then has been - given by researchers to the species of shark responsible for this attack. This uncertainty may be due to its close proximity in time to Albert Kogler's fatal attack just one month earlier or to several unsubstantiated rumors. In either case, the following is what is known about the shark, the attack location and some related circumstances, which until now have gone unreported.

The following four events occurred prior to the attack on Pamperin and may have been contributory. First, fewer than two hours before the attack, several Yellowtail (Seriola dorsalis) were speared by divers near the attack site. In addition to body fluids, the low-frequency vibrations produced by a speared fish are known to attract sharks. Second, an hour prior to the attack, a U.S. Navy sailor swimming off nearby rocks had badly lacerated himself, losing a considerable amount of blood while in the water. Third, 600 meters west of the cove is a small rookery of Harbor Seals (Phoca vitulina), a known prey of several apex marine predators. The fourth and final event might have been more contributory to the attack than any of the others. A dead whale (species unknown) washed up the night before onto the beach at La Jolla Shores, 800 meters north of where Pamperin was attacked. Surface currents and overnight winds could have dispersed the whale's body fluids to much of the cove, in addition to probably producing a "chum slick," or "odor corridor," to the open sea many hours before the attack. The untimely beaching of the whale could have attracted the predator responsible for this tragedy from many kilometers distant. The description of the shark, as given by Lehrer, is "over 20 feet [7 meters] in length with a white belly, grading to an even dark gray or black on top, with a blunt nose." He told the San Diego Union newspaper, "It was so big I thought at first it was a Killer Whale. It had a white belly and I could see its jaws and jagged teeth." Lehrer could recall no other blotches or markings on the shark.
The estimated length of the attacking shark precludes almost all known potentially dangerous species common to the Pacific Coast, except the Tiger and White sharks. At best, the Tiger Shark (Galeocerdo cuvier) is only an infrequent, if not rare, visitor to Southern California, while the White Shark is frequently observed and captured off the southern coast. Excluding the blunt nose, which could have been obscured by the victim, the description of Lehrer's shark more closely approximates the appearance of a White Shark rather than a Tiger. Further, Lehrer did not remember any markings on the shark, including vertical stripes often visible on the flanks of adult Tiger Sharks. He also told investigators that he could see Pamperin and the shark, including "its jaws and jagged teeth," quite clearly as they lay on the bottom 10 to 15 meters from his location. Comparison of Tiger Shark and White Shark dentition demonstrates the improbability of Lehrer's being able to see any teeth from a distance of 10 meters or more except those of a large White Shark. According to fossil-shark researcher Gordon Hubbell, the enamel height of White Shark teeth is almost twice that of a Tiger Shark at comparable body lengths (Photograph courtesy Gordon Hubbell).
The reference to the shark's being as big as a Killer Whale (Orcinus orca) would seem to further support a White Shark as being the assailant. This interpretation assumes that the reference pertains to the shark's coloration, length, and girth, appearing similar to that of a Killer Whale. Contrast between the black and white patterns for both White Sharks and Killer Whales is similarly striking, as is the general body shape, especially when observed during the stressful, fleeting moments of a shark attack. These conclusions would seem to implicate a White Shark as the causal species. Eyewitness testimony in support of this identification was obtained from the following newspaper article, which should put the question of shark species to rest. Because of the confusion that persisted for several days in local newspapers with certain aspects of the attack, Gerald Lehrer granted a final interview to the San Diego Evening Tribune on 18 June 1959. Lehrer emphatically stated, "What I saw was a White Shark. I don't understand the confusion. The first time I was shown pictures of different kinds of sharks, I immediately recognized the White Shark. I have never said anything else, but I have read and heard all kinds of speculation about other kinds of sharks. It was a White Shark." There would seem to be little doubt that a White Shark 6 to 7 meters in length was responsible for Robert Pamperin's fatal shark attack.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, there's some fish around, but usually no big deal. TONS of Leopard sharks near LJ Cove/Shores but mostly in the summer and they don't bite. Every once in a while you get lucky on a good vis day and see a small blue shark in the nearby canyon, usually when the squid are around. I saw a good sized thresher shark off Alligator head once (around the corner from LJ Cove) while spearfishing, but only when there was blood in the water. I know the kayak and surfboard fisher'people' have occasionally pulled a thresher out of the canyon. Does anyone remember recently when lifeguards spotted killer whales off of Mission Beach? Seriously, a jillion people swim and surf here every day with almost zero attacks. Sting rays are a bigger problem, just shuffle your feet and enjoy your swim!

Must see bike shops: B&L Bike and Sports in Solana Beach (about 15 minutes north of your hotel on the main road). Say 'hi' to Dan Rock. He is the head wrench up there and was one of the pioneers of our sport. In fact, he has great photos from the first ever triathlon (took place in Mission Bay, San Diego). Not a huge shop, but a very good one. They work with athletes like Normann Stadler (they are his current sponsor and built the bike he used to win this year), Rudy Garcia-Tolson, Sarah Reinertsen, Luke Bell, Kate Major, Jessi Stensland, etc, etc, etc.

If you're looking to MTB, B&L rents Specialized Epics and Stumpjumpers. Just bring your pedals and shoes. I know they rent road bikes too. Not sure which ones, but I think they are high-zoot Specialized. Again, bring pedals and shoes... http://www.blbikes.com

A number of great group rides and runs leave from B&L throughout the week. Check their website and/or call for details.

Have fun!
Quote Reply