Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Salty
Quote | Reply
I have noticed over the last few months that I get very salty when I run or ride. It's mainly on my head and not on my shirt or shorts. Any suggestions as to why this is? For some background the only time I was ever this salty was in mid-summer living in St. Louis, you know mid 90's and humid. Thanks

Proud Founder of the Jamis Mafia- Daring to be different.
Quote Reply
Re: Salty [House] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Odd, I've noticed the same thing! When I finish a hard ride (it doesn't even have to be long) the sweat on my face dries to a nice salty finish.

I know I take in more than average amounts of sodium, but I also drink a ton of water. Regardless, sodium and water intake haven't changed dramatically, why am I so salty now but never before??

--------------------------------------------------------------------
"Lemond is cycling's version of Rev Jessie Jackson." -johnnyperu 5/18/07
"Just because I suck doesn't mean my bike has to" -rickn 9/2/08
Quote Reply
Re: Salty [brandonecpt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me it seems to be around my ears mainly. I have been drinking a lot of water, but I don't know why this has suddenly changed.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
one last try

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The current (or maybe last month's at this point) Triathlete magazine has an article that discusses the salt concentration of sweat and how/why it changes. Perhaps check that article out?

(I don't have it in front of me or I'd just tell you what it said. . . )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it is pretty common to be left with the salty residue when sweating a lot.

There may be changes based on temperature but you are likely to get the head residue as we sweat a lot through our head and it dries quickly with the wind so a crusty dome is more common.

You may be taking in more salt in your diet if you have increased your training so you have more to lose from your system.

Stay away from cows and horses and you should be ok :)

C'mon legs run faster!
Being fast on a crappy bike is cool
Fueled by Guinness, Tuborg, Anchor Steam and Creemore Springs
Quote Reply
Re: Salty [slammer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I think it is pretty common to be left with the salty residue when sweating a lot.

There may be changes based on temperature but you are likely to get the head residue as we sweat a lot through our head and it dries quickly with the wind so a crusty dome is more common.

You may be taking in more salt in your diet if you have increased your training so you have more to lose from your system.

Stay away from cows and horses and you should be ok :)

Well the odd thing is that I have never been this salty except in extremely hot weather and my diet is pretty much the same as it has always been except for fewer calories.

Actually it's not cows and horses, but my dog! He loves to lick my face when I am salty.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Is this what you look like after working out?!?!?! ;)

I have a 2yr old. That there is funny. And as to the reason....two words: Global Warming.

fka: bassman

After the swim, I'm a fish outta water.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this is weird as its happening to me this year as the weather is warmer..have run/tri etc for almost 10 years and I was never one of those salty ones and never needed salt tabs, etc...this last month I get giant sweat/salt marks on my hat, and when I run with a light backpack on even that gets salt stains on it, and Is wear my sweat smells different..the only thing I have been doing differently is running a lot more, at least 50pmw. And I have also been eating less processed foods as I changed my eating habits quite a bit, so I think I am eating way LESS salt....hmmm
Quote Reply