Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Saddle Question: I look like Fred with the Adamo
Quote | Reply
I have a Cannondale SuperSix that came stock with the Fizik Arione saddle (shown below). About 18 months ago, I began experiencing insane sit bone and high hamstring pain. So, I switched saddles from the Arione to the Adamo Prologue. The Adamo has been good to me and resolved my pain, but I look like Fred with it on my Road bike. I get weird questions and comments on it - "So...how's that saddle workin' for ya?" and "Oh, cool, the vagina saddle!". Yes, I'm easily influenced by others and their opinions.

Questions: I'm in the thick of training for a double 100 (6 weeks out). Will switching saddles now be a bad idea? If I go back to the Arione, how the hell do I map or transfer my old Adamo setup to the Adamo and maintain the correct fit coordinates?

Sorry to the people who ride Adamo saddles on their Road bikes - I don't mean to offend. Personal preference, I just don't like the way it looks.

Quote Reply
Re: Saddle Question: I look like Fred with the Adamo [JimMoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JimMoss wrote:
Personal preference, I just don't like the way it looks.

Haters will always hate. If it works, ignore the haters. It does a little strange on a road bike for some reason, but very comfortable saddle and that is what counts for me.

On the internet, you can be anything you want. It is a pity so many people choose to be stupid.
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle Question: I look like Fred with the Adamo [chrisbint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisbint wrote:
JimMoss wrote:
Personal preference, I just don't like the way it looks.

Haters will always hate. If it works, ignore the haters. It does a little strange on a road bike for some reason, but very comfortable saddle and that is what counts for me.

Fitter (Max Testa's right hand man) even said to me a couple of weeks ago "might wanna ditch that Adamo and get a real road saddle".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would imagine that your taint comfort would have a more powerful vote than appearances or comments by others.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I just don't like the way it looks.

Seems to me that from what you said it ain't about you not liking the saddle but rather you're too thin skinned to take comments from your riding buddies about your saddle choice.

p.s. I don't ride an Adamo. It didn't work for me. Instead I use a Cobb.
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle Question: I look like Fred with the Adamo [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love my adamo saddle. And i even like the way it looks. Maybe i'm just weird.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who gives a shit what other people say or think. They say crap like that then cut them loose, they're shallow and obnoxious. Use what works and be your own person.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because you spend a lot of time looking at your saddle while you ride? Afraid of what others think? Comfort beats either of the above 100 million times over.

"4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the Selle Italia SLR Superflow on my roadie. Since I use an Adamo on my tri bike, you might find you like that one as well.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Arione is an over hyped saddle. The problem is that it's pretty narrow, at about 130 or 135 mm. You probably want a saddle that's 145 mm or so. I bought an Arione when they first came out and it was miserable for me. My preferred road saddle is a Selle Italia Pro Link Gel Flow, which is 145 mm.

I also use an Adamo and occasionally ride with one in my road bike. I don't know why people would tease about it, unless yours is bright pink leather or something.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So...how's that SuperSix workin' for ya? ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle Question: I look like Fred with the Adamo [sharkbait_au] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sharkbait_au wrote:
So...how's that SuperSix workin' for ya? ;)

Love it. Absolutely love it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So why wouldn't you say the same for the comfy saddle?
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle Question: I look like Fred with the Adamo [spirogeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spirogeek wrote:
Who gives a shit what other people say or think.

word .. ride what's comfy and enjoy it
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle Question: I look like Fred with the Adamo [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
I would imagine that your taint comfort would have a more powerful vote than appearances or comments by others.

This
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle Question: I look like Fred with the Adamo [jamgam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess Freddy Rodriguez was a "Fred" also when he won the 2013 US Professional Road Race on an ISM Attack? Or the Jelly Belly and Champion Systems-Stan's No Tubes pro teams racing on ISM saddles on their road bikes this year are also "not cool?"

I guess Max Testa's fitter isn't aware that the people he fits could achieve greater comfort and performance with an ISM saddle on their road bike. His clients are the ones missing out.
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle Question: I look like Fred with the Adamo [jamgam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remember when cycling used to be about riding bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got news for ya pal, everyone else is making fun of you for wearing spandex.

If you like sitting on the adamo in your spandex, who cares what a couple of roadies think.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And how is an adamo worse than a saddle that makes it look like your arse is bleeeding?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heard the same from some roadies, my middle finger is grown since then.
Don't give a shit what anybody says as long as it works for you and you are comfy for the 200. Maybe you should study that:"why don't you go f..k yourself!" Works most of the time and thickens your skin a little, or you get a beatin.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Cat 1 teammate who rides an Adamo on the road. He gets some crap for it from time to time, especially with all the views from behind the racers have as he rides away from them.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't like how it looks either, I don't know how you guys ride on those things.

With that said, if it works then keep it. Find someone else to ride with if their comments bother you.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure if you are venting, looking for sympathy or alternatives. I got nothing on the first two.

As an alternative you might consider the specialized romin evo pro. I highly recommend it as a race oriented (pretty dang firm) ergonomic saddle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stick with the Adamo. A wry laugh is the best response to the ribbing- don't let them them think they're getting to you.

Going back to a saddle that didn't suit you- "insane... pain"- would be plain daft. And don't forget that a rather important nerve runs through that region...
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle Question: I look like Fred with the Adamo [spirogeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spirogeek wrote:
I remember when cycling used to be about riding bikes.

I might have to make this my new signature. slow clap and nod of approval.

"4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul"
Quote Reply

Prev Next