Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: SUVs that can transport bikes upright - without removing seat post (but not vans) [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realAlbertan wrote:
Then buy a van and you wife can choose to drive the other vehicle.

+1

Van wins. It's not cool but then again neither is spandex. Go for the convenience.
Quote Reply
Re: SUVs that can transport bikes upright - without removing seat post (but not vans) [art_k82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You'll have to go with used but Isuzu Troopers have a lot of clearance inside. Here is a pic of mine with 3 MTBs. I've had road and tri bikes loaded without ever lowering a seat post. I'm 5'10" btw.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn." - Charles De Mar
Last edited by: P2SLowry: Nov 4, 14 9:59
Quote Reply
Re: SUVs that can transport bikes upright - without removing seat post (but not vans) [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon_rinard wrote:
We can easily fit two bikes standing up in the back of our Honda Fit. Rear seats folded flat and front wheels off.

If we have to, we can fit three bikes and three people. Both wheels off the third bike and half the rear seat folded.

My saddle is 76cm high and close to the roof. Jane's is 72.

That said, I'm looking at buying a minivan next. It's just sooooo easy to haul bikes around. And we can toss our tandem in the back too.

I've heard (but haven't confirmed) that if you fold the front passenger seat flat and have your stoker sit behind the driver, you can fit a tandem inside on the right side of the Fit.
Quote Reply
Re: SUVs that can transport bikes upright - without removing seat post (but not vans) [geetee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Gene,

I've never done it, but amazingly, it's possible.

http://www.blayleys.com/articles/cars/

I'm just too lazy to take off both wheels and seats.

Wait, they DIDN'T take off the rear wheel... maybe I can do it too?!?

On the other hand, minivans really do make the best bike transport vehicles.

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Re: SUVs that can transport bikes upright - without removing seat post (but not vans) [jbnc77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jbnc77 wrote:
My 4Runner does not have the 3rd row seat. Also, I did not want the sliding tray thing that is in most models as it takes up key space (maybe 2 in of height loss). Leaving these two options out gives the maximum clearance. I had to work to find a version without the 3rd row and sliding tray, but they are out there.

I put a Kuat rack on my hitch and a Yakima box on top (with some bike trays) and I can carry 3 people, plus myself, and all of our crap for long riding/camping weekends.

I can send you pics if that would help.

Please post pics. That would be great.
Quote Reply
Re: SUVs that can transport bikes upright - without removing seat post (but not vans) [art_k82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a Nissan Pathfinder (the last model, not the new re-designed one) and I could fit both a 54cm and a 52cm bikes in the back, vertical, with one seat folded down. It was tight but they fit. Could still get my kid, luggage, and everything else in for a week long vacation.

If the bike was much bigger than than a 54, it would start getting tight as you would really have to start angling them.
Quote Reply
Re: SUVs that can transport bikes upright - without removing seat post (but not vans) [razorbacksteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
razorbacksteve wrote:
you know the answer to this question. my wife doesn't want to drive one, either. although, practicality and necessity may win out with our third kid coming.
Deej wrote:
Why does it have to be vertical? Why not a van? SUV's are just less functional minivans in disguise

The reason I asked about why you need vertical is for the same reason someone else pointed out the Fit (and many other compact hatches) may be a better overall option. If you're breaking seatposts, besides the obvious, you need to weigh the extra cost of the vehicle, fuel, insurance, R&M, etc. of an SUV/minivan vs. the cost of a seatpost here and there. Also, how much driving do you do with the bike with you vs. not with you?

Head down, thumbs up, give'r
@barrettdj
Quote Reply
Re: SUVs that can transport bikes upright - without removing seat post (but not vans) [Deej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, I was referring to the question: Why not a van? The answer, in this case, is because....his wife doesn't think they're cool, or hip, or chic enough. That's why I continued with remarks about my wife not wanting to drive one, and necessity, practicality, etc.

To your point here, though, I agree. That's why I mentioned in a different comment that I thought he should consider a small SUV (luxury, since she also wants that) w/ roof or hitch rack.
Deej wrote:
razorbacksteve wrote:
you know the answer to this question. my wife doesn't want to drive one, either. although, practicality and necessity may win out with our third kid coming.
Deej wrote:
Why does it have to be vertical? Why not a van? SUV's are just less functional minivans in disguise

The reason I asked about why you need vertical is for the same reason someone else pointed out the Fit (and many other compact hatches) may be a better overall option. If you're breaking seatposts, besides the obvious, you need to weigh the extra cost of the vehicle, fuel, insurance, R&M, etc. of an SUV/minivan vs. the cost of a seatpost here and there. Also, how much driving do you do with the bike with you vs. not with you?

-Stephen in Arkansas
Last edited by: razorbacksteve: Nov 4, 14 11:27
Quote Reply
Re: SUVs that can transport bikes upright - without removing seat post (but not vans) [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realAlbertan wrote:

I have to second this. I have the Odyssey and it is amazing for transporting bikes/boats/camping gear/kids, etc. Four wheel drive would be nice, but other than that it does everything I want (other than look cool). I am not a car guy so I don't get buying a less convenient vehicle just to look cool, but my second car is a motorcycle, so maybe that mitigates the shame of owning a minivan.
Quote Reply
Re: SUVs that can transport bikes upright - without removing seat post (but not vans) [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Based on rental car experiences racing cyclocross, the following vehicles would hold 2-3 cyclocross bikes with minimal modification (seat folding, etc) and only the bikes front wheels removed and bungie cords keeping things in place:

Checy Traverse
GMC Acadia; Yukon
Ford Escape; Edge; Expedition (old style Escape as new style is no bueno; Edge was a tight fit and left little room for luggage/extras)
Infinity QX56/80 (mileage sucked but awesome vehicle)
Toyota Rav 4; Highlander
Nissan Pathfinder

GreenPlease wrote:
The new Ford Explorer *might* work if you have the dealership completely remove the third row (which could be a chore).
While the latest version might employ a different design, based on my experience modifying a 2007 Ford Freestyle, I suspect the dealership won't be very keen on the idea as the seat belts for the 3rd row are normally secured to the transverse mounted pivot bar to which the seats are attached and use to rotate from the closed to open position.

Before it got replaced, we had a 2003 Ford Expedition that held 4-5 bikes with the vehicles 2nd row seat folded down, non-integrated 3rd row seat removed, and bikes front wheels removed. I really enjoyed that truck but it got terrible mileage so we replaced it with a 2007 Ford Freestyle (later known as Taurus X) but the 3rd row seat (similar in design to the new Explorer) raised the floor line too much for interior bike storage so I customized it. Wife was not pleased when on the 3rd day of ownership, she finds me in the garage with all the interior panels removed, and me trying to loosen the 3rd row seat pivot bar mounting bolts which I swear had to have been torqued tight by a Gorilla. Once removed, we crafted a wooden, hinged deck covered in carpet that provides a 'secret' storage compartment at the rear hatch as well as room for 4 bikes requiring only removal of the front wheels.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Re: SUVs that can transport bikes upright - without removing seat post (but not vans) [writhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
writhe wrote:
jbnc77 wrote:
My 4Runner does not have the 3rd row seat. Also, I did not want the sliding tray thing that is in most models as it takes up key space (maybe 2 in of height loss). Leaving these two options out gives the maximum clearance. I had to work to find a version without the 3rd row and sliding tray, but they are out there.

I put a Kuat rack on my hitch and a Yakima box on top (with some bike trays) and I can carry 3 people, plus myself, and all of our crap for long riding/camping weekends.

I can send you pics if that would help.

Please post pics. That would be great.

--------------------------------------------------------
John Behme
Charlotte, NC
Quote Reply
Re: SUVs that can transport bikes upright - without removing seat post (but not vans) [jbnc77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll put another vote in for the Honda Element. We have one and can easily fold one rear seat up against the sidewall and then put our 2 bikes in there without removal of any wheels or seat post. Need more room? Remove one/both of the rear seats completely. No carpeting on the floors also, so you can just sweep it out or mop it down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It still makes no sense to go through this when you can simply stand your bike upright in a minivan. I never have to hassled with removing a wheel, attaching it to a board, removing it from board, reattach wheel.
I roll the bike in - both road and tri - roll it out and start riding. Nothing beats the convenience of a van.
Quote Reply
Re: SUVs that can transport bikes upright - without removing seat post (but not vans) [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
It still makes no sense to go through this when you can simply stand your bike upright in a minivan. I never have to hassled with removing a wheel, attaching it to a board, removing it from board, reattach wheel.
I roll the bike in - both road and tri - roll it out and start riding. Nothing beats the convenience of a van.

I am glad you like you minivan, and yes, you can stand your bike straight up in them, but i dont really care for minivans and i dont keep my bike in my car all of the time. Or i would buy a sprinter van. It takes me about 2 minutes to load up, so it does sort of make sense just maybe not to you

--------------------------------------------------------
John Behme
Charlotte, NC
Quote Reply
Re: SUVs that can transport bikes upright - without removing seat post (but not vans) [Saundo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saundo wrote:
realAlbertan wrote:

+1
Van wins. It's not cool but then again neither is spandex. Go for the convenience.

Not mine, but who says they're not cool? It is a car with 4 wheels, true, it's not a corvette C7, but they're as cool as any suv.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tough first world problem, eh?

.........................__0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...
Quote Reply
Re: SUVs that can transport bikes upright - without removing seat post (but not vans) [stomponafrog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good luck finding one with low milage.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: SUVs that can transport bikes upright - without removing seat post (but not vans) [stomponafrog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm strongly debating trading my love my Mini Cooper S for an Element based on its functionality. Don't are about mileage I do all my own wrenching and the MINI has over 100k.

"Base training is bull shit" - desertdude
Quote Reply

Prev Next