Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

STers- ROCK....70.3 Florida Trek Speed Concept BIKE BAILOUT - DONE!
Quote | Reply
Hey guys,

Anyone in the Orlando-Tampa-Clermont area head to 70.3 Florida this weekend, my buddy Barry Dmitruk is down Haines City area and he was putting his bike together there and magically there was no seat post clamp for his Trek 9.9 speed concept in the bike case.

We think TSA may have not put it back in the case....regardless, he needs one to race. It's his first race back in 3 years after brain surgeries last year, so it's a bit of a big deal. Barry's wife is picking up emails from any good samaritan who can help

62sheila@gmaildotcom

Of contact me devashishdotpaul@gmaildotcom

and I will connect you guys up. This would be a huge favor if anyone has an extra or a local bike store can help. My buddy Barry has done 35 IM's and 7x Kona and returning to our racing lifestyle after all the surgeries and setbacks is huge....but a friggin seat post clamp is in the way of that now that his own body is not!

HELP!!!!!

Barry goes by konaexpress here on ST when he posts from time to time.

Dev
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Apr 7, 17 19:14
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Florida Bike Bailout - 2012 Speed Concept 9.9 Seatpost clamp needed [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe kevin grogan, who used to post here can help. He has the bike shop at the NTC in Clermont. Otherwise maybe Ziebart can help....

Good luck and best wishes Barry! Nice to have you back.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Florida Bike Bailout - 2012 Speed Concept 9.9 Seatpost clamp needed [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think he would take a replacement bike if he could get one, but he checked for rentals and there is nothing available either. But I (being his friend) would prefer if he can race on his known set up up. He has gone through enough that first race back should ideally be done on his set up. On a side note the bike case was not fully shut in one corner when he got it from the airline, so a good chance things were not put back together properly at the TSA zone
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Florida Bike Bailout - 2012 Speed Concept 9.9 Seatpost clamp needed [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was thinking the part instead of a replacement bike. I'm sure there's a willing person in the area? There is a couple of groups there with message boards.....maybe the Facebook page for Central Florida cycling..... https://www.facebook.com/...ntralfloridacycling/

Just trying to brainstorm and help. There is a ton of shops there so maybe they can grab a part for him to use his own bike....If the race is sunday, he may be able to fed ex a part today to deliver tomorrow.....
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Florida BIKE BAILOUT - 2012 Speed Concept 9.9 Seatpost clamp needed [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm about to PM you Dev
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Florida BIKE BAILOUT - 2012 Speed Concept 9.9 Seatpost clamp needed [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has he checked inside the seat tube? Mine fell down into the seat tube one time when traveling and had to turn the bike upside to get it to come out.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Florida BIKE BAILOUT - 2012 Speed Concept 9.9 Seatpost clamp needed [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Is this Speed Concept Gen 1 or Gen 2?

Thomas I have no idea. He said 2012. I'll call him and ask!

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Florida BIKE BAILOUT - 2012 Speed Concept 9.9 Seatpost clamp needed [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just got a call from Barry saying you guys may have converged on a solution. Let us know if things pan out!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He's all set ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Is this Speed Concept Gen 1 or Gen 2?

Thomas I have no idea. He said 2012. I'll call him and ask!

Dev

It's a Gen 1 (model years 2011-2013).

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Florida BIKE BAILOUT - 2012 Speed Concept 9.9 Seatpost clamp needed [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
He's all set ;)

Wow, you guys rock. You put something up for strangers to resolve for a buddy at the bottom of the continent while you're still sitting in the office with snow around you and it all gets resolved in less than 3 hours.

Barry is going to really appreciate it. After his multiple brain surgeries, I think getting on the race horse this Sunday is going to mean more to him than a gazillion Ironmans and Kona finishes he has done! Thanks GreenPlease for stepping up. It's also a big deal for me personally to see him racing again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He's been thru a lot, glad to hear he s out racing again
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Florida BIKE BAILOUT - 2012 Speed Concept 9.9 Seatpost clamp needed [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fingers crossed all body parts work on Sunday but thanks to Greenplease for getting his horse all saddled up!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This thread made me smile. Good luck Barry!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad it all worked out. Best to Barry, and we'll all be following his climb back to the top. Never quit........
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's why I like this place. Good luck to Barry

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never met Barry or GreenPlease, but I wish both you guys great races.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Florida BIKE BAILOUT - 2012 Speed Concept 9.9 Seatpost clamp needed [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
That's why I like this place. Good luck to Barry

Yeah, no matter how much we may bitch and mud sling at each other on stupid topics with opposing points of view, when someone needs help, there is always multiple people rushing to the rescue. In 2014 at Whistler, I managed to crush my headset bearings putting my bike together and posted the problem on ST and everything was resolved with detailed instructions on the fix, replacement parts and procedures in <1 hour! I would have had no clue what part I needed, or where to get it or how to install (OK I would have figured out the last part, but right before an A race, you want to know you are doing it right).

A lot of us have seen Barry through a really tough patch in life over the last 3 years. His last race was IMLP 2014 where he Kona qualified (actually the exact same day I raced Whistler after fixing the crushed bearings) barely able to stay up not knowing that his body was not regulating his cerebral spinal fluid and having his grey matter for months (or maybe years) under intense pressure inside his skull. It's something 1/1000 people may experience in life for no good reason!

OK game on tomorrow. Fingers crossed for the old warrior, now that the horse is fixed. We just need the jockey to put out the regular IM Podium guy ST approved wattage.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Florida BIKE BAILOUT - 2012 Speed Concept 9.9 Seatpost clamp needed [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
I've never met Barry or GreenPlease, but I wish both you guys great races.

Barry is out of the water in 12th in his age group, but within a couple of minutes of the age group podium with his best legs, the bike and run coming up. Not bad for a guy who was just planning to tour today. Also racing in the same division (M55-59) is Ultraman Legend Tony O'Keeffe. He's the guy everyone will need to beat here.

Does anyone know if this is a no wetsuit swim. 32 min swim for Tony is slow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't *know* but it should have been wetsuit legal. IIRC water temp was 73 on Friday. The swim course has always been funky. They've alternated between an "M" shape and a simple two-loop course. Neither has ever been particularly fast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your help. He is in at 5:09 after multiple brain surgeries!!!! Awesome!!! First race since a Kona qual at IMLP 2014
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad he was able to race! Couldn't ask for better weather down here today.
Quote Reply