Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
ST'er Cody Beals....58 seconds behind Potts at Galveston
Quote | Reply
I know we'll have another Lionel Sanders thread from Barry any moment, but I think Coady's 3rd place just 58 seconds behind Potts deserves its own thread since he posts on here often. Great to see a young guy breaking through with a big performance! Hopefully he will drop in here and share his blow by blow report mixing it up with Potts and Sanders....also congrats to first year pro, STer Brad Williams. Outrides both Potts and Beals on the bike. Looks like Brad had the third fastest bike split of the day which should earn him my serious ST approved kudos.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Apr 26, 15 12:12
Quote Reply
Re: ST'er Cody Beals....58 seconds behind Potts at Galveston [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This kid is an up 'n comer, he was 4th in NO earlier.

res, non verba
Quote Reply
Re: ST'er Cody Beals....58 seconds behind Potts at Galveston [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome result for Beals, congratulations.

He's been tearing up the Southern Ontario scene for a while, great to see him having early success on the pro circuit.

For anyone interested in what it takes to try to make the step up to pro level, his blog gives a very open and honest account of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Impressive

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome guy, always provides great advice, and on a super bike killer P4 tricked out :) Way to go Cody!

devashish_paul wrote:
I know we'll have another Lionel Sanders thread from Barry any moment, but I think Coady's 3rd place just 58 seconds behind Potts deserves its own thread since he posts on here often. Great to see a young guy breaking through with a big performance! Hopefully he will drop in here and share his blow by blow report mixing it up with Potts and Sanders....also congrats to first year pro, STer Brad Williams. Outrides both Potts and Beals on the bike. Looks like Brad had the third fastest bike split of the day which should earn him my serious ST approved kudos.
Quote Reply
Re: ST'er Cody Beals....58 seconds behind Potts at Galveston [Dufflite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He posts most of his workouts on Strava too if you want to stalk him there.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/669526
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
4th last week in NOLA and 3rd this week. Not a bad week for Cody!

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev and Slowtwitchers.....

Happy to talk about how Cody is training (from a 'framework' perspective) for anyone interested.

But yup Cody is, IMHO, an awesome person & athlete with plenty more potential over the coming years.....

Kind Regards

"his coach" (aside from the swim Magnolia Masters/Tim takes care of that)"

David :-)

David T-D
http://www.tilburydavis.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Big congrats to Cody on this! I know he's been steadily improving year over year and it's great to see. I have yet to personally meet him but I've seen him screaming past on the course once or twice. Keep up the great work Cody!

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations to Cody. Always appreciated how level headed and reasonable his posts have been. Great to see him gaining recognition for his efforts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
great stuff Cody! another awesome young canuck triathlete to cheer for :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Dev, much appreciated!

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Re: ST'er Cody Beals....58 seconds behind Potts at Galveston [y_nigel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
y_nigel wrote:
great stuff Cody! another awesome young canuck triathlete to cheer for :)

I second that, canuck pride!
Quote Reply
Re: ST'er Cody Beals....58 seconds behind Potts at Galveston [@BW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great Job out there Brad! you looked strong every time i saw you!

Kirk Noyes

Downtubes are for Dinosaurs

Quote Reply
Re: ST'er Cody Beals....58 seconds behind Potts at Galveston [tilburs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tilburs wrote:
Dev and Slowtwitchers.....

Happy to talk about how Cody is training (from a 'framework' perspective) for anyone interested.

But yup Cody is, IMHO, an awesome person & athlete with plenty more potential over the coming years.....

Kind Regards

"his coach" (aside from the swim Magnolia Masters/Tim takes care of that)"

David :-)

Good Stuff David. Cody has looked really strong in the pool here lately. Great result at New Orleans and now Galveston. He has that "look" right now where everything is coming together. You guys are doing great. I'm sure Tim (SnappingT) will jump on here to discuss the swimming piece.

I'm surprised you aren't drunk from yesterday's sufferfest at BWR. great job there

Kirk Noyes

Downtubes are for Dinosaurs

Quote Reply
Re: ST'er Cody Beals....58 seconds behind Potts at Galveston [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
rad
we need a report asap on what tires, wheels, skewers etc he used to run that fast

we need a report asap on what treadmill he used to run that fast
Quote Reply
Re: ST'er Cody Beals....58 seconds behind Potts at Galveston [tilburs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great job with Cody, mate! Really impressive.
Quote Reply
Re: ST'er Cody Beals....58 seconds behind Potts at Galveston [@BW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@BW_Tri wrote:
Thanks Dev, much appreciated!

Solid day out there for your first pro race. Brad, I imagine that your fast bike split was done entirely solo with no one around having started the bike a bit behind the fish?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev,

I will have a race report up later in the week. I caught 2 groups on the ride, sat on the back for 2-5mins of those groups. Caught the "bigger" chase pack at mile 30, which had Richie, Gomez, Baird and a few others in it. Pretty much from that point forward I was on the front. Gleason from Canada did a little work. We caught Barrett around mile 45 I think and Linkemann coming off of Seawall. Matt Russell was just puling into T2 as we came around the last corner. Left T2 and heard a split of 2:30 to the 2nd-6th place group. Then around mile 1 the group that promptly dropped me out of T2 went off course and Barrett and myself were the first ones to go the right (left turn) way. Open this link, hit play and you can see where the group went the wrong way: http://labs.strava.com/.../#293351681,gx96EQ==

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Re: ST'er Cody Beals....58 seconds behind Potts at Galveston [Dufflite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dufflite wrote:
Awesome result for Beals, congratulations.

He's been tearing up the Southern Ontario scene for a while, great to see him having early success on the pro circuit.

For anyone interested in what it takes to try to make the step up to pro level, his blog gives a very open and honest account of it.

Cody is awesome, glad to see he's getting good results :) His blog is indeed very interesting and personal, and he's also never shied away from helping fellow triathletes with advice and good words.

Great young guy all around. Hope the best for him in the future.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great job! Although don't write a race report, I think you're supposed to let your coach start a thread with the title entirely capitalized and talking about all the cool stuff you've learnt at this race, etc. ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great job!

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
@BW_Tri wrote:
Then around mile 1 the group that promptly dropped me out of T2 went off course and Barrett and myself were the first ones to go the right (left turn) way. Open this link, hit play and you can see where the group went the wrong way: http://labs.strava.com/.../#293351681,gx96EQ==

How can this happen? And, don't give me the "it's the athletes responsibility to know the course" bs. It's a freaking pro race with $50,000 on the line. WTC / the RD have the responsibility to marshal and mark the damn course so an oxygen-starved athlete simply cannot go wrong. It blows my mind how frequently this happens. Pros need to start suing RDs instead of quietly accepting responsibility like it was their fault.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you Dev and everyone else for all the support. I'm surprised to find this thread. I figured it would take my first pro win to earn it! I'll post a race report on my blog asap, but I'll comment on a few things here.

I'm coming off a seven month "off-season" during which I invested more time and effort in training than ever before. Prior to arriving in Texas at the start of April, I did 90%+ my running on the treadmill and 100% of my cycling on the CompuTrainer over the winter. I've come to value indoor training very highly.

Texas 70.3 was my first attempt at back-to-back 70.3s, having taken a very tough 4th at NOLA 70.3 the week before. This was uncharted territory for me and I was unsure how my body would respond. It's an efficient way to race if you can pull it off: one build, one taper, one flight in this case for two opportunities to nail it. I'll do it again for sure.

Texas 70.3 was my pro debut last year. My mindset and fitness have come a long way since then. Last year, I questioned whether or not I even belonged in the pro ranks, but this year, I wanted nothing less than the podium. I owe my development to my coach, David Tilbury-Davis (tilburs), and swim coach, Tim Floyd (Magnolia Masters, SnappingT on ST). Without their guidance, I would still be a burnout case on a very different trajectory in the sport.

I don't tend to check start lists, since I find that helps avoid preconceiving where I should end up, especially with my limited pro race experience. I couldn't help but notice veterans like Potts, Bennett and Cunnigham at the pro briefing—who probably each have more pro wins than years I've been alive—not to mention up-and-comers like Sanders. This race was just a P-500, but the growing depth of long course talent and the consolidation of Ironman pro races are making soft fields a thing of the past.

I've been working hard with Tim to improve my swimming. I limited my losses to just over 2mins to Potts et al. in my first non-wetsuit swim, but this is still an unacceptable weakness for the level I'd like to compete at. More work ahead...

For the second week in a row, the ride was very tactical. The power file and some analysis are posted on Strava. I continue to be astounded by the draft advantage at the legal 12m spacing and by how much it influences the dynamics of the pro race. My races last year more closely resembled a steady TT as I was farther back out of the water, riding up through sparser fields. I'm now a big advocate for the 20m draft zone Challenge has adopted for some races.

I'm more confident in my running this year and didn't mind biding my time and riding efficiently in the pack. I ran the first lap shoulder to shoulder with Lionel Sanders and Andy Potts going out in sub-1:10 pace, which was surreal. I felt great and began to get excited since they both appeared to be suffering. But I'm no stranger to racing Lionel (we've raced locally in Ontario many times) and knew to not underestimate him. Sure enough, he and Potts gradually pulled away as the ambitious pace caught up with me.

I'm now heading back to Canada to put in a two month block leading into Tremblant 70.3 followed by either Challenge St. Andrews or Muskoka 70.3. Thanks again for following my progress!

CodyBeals.com | Instagram | TikTok
ASICS | Ventum | Martin's | HED | VARLO | Shimano | 4iiii | Keystone Communications
Quote Reply

Prev Next