Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ST loses one of its own
Quote | Reply
Terribly sad news: http://velonews.competitor.com/...ntal-overdose_324472

Chase used to post here as chase196126. I met him a few years ago, ironically, at Valley of the Sun when we were cat 2s. A nice, easy going kid who was making his way back from a brutal accident that left him with permanent facial damage. I remember that his dad had driven him to the race, which he won, from Utah and was his biggest fan. I raced against Chase a few times after he turned pro and was really glad he'd made it. My condolences to his family for their loss; I'll think about them on my ride today.
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Apr 15, 14 17:48
Quote Reply
Re: ST loses one if its own [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow...sad news. Peace to his family and friends.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: ST loses one if its own [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Poor kid. That is heartbreaking. Rest in peace.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: ST loses one if its own [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sad, indeed. Thoughts and prayers go out to his family.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn! Prayers going out to him and his family.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow. I also raced Chase a couple of times, a very down to earth guy. Was surprised when he started posting here.
How very, very sad.

There is a link between concussions, depression, and suicide. I had a friend commit suicide about a month after hitting his head very hard in a crit crash. Not saying that is what happened here, they seem pretty convinced it was accidental overdose. Just my n=1 would tell me to take a second look if the reason was important to me.

Quote Reply
Re: ST loses one if its own [dogmile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very very sad situation.

However, the depression and 'accidental' raises a red flag for me. I don't want to disparage the poor guy, but just the mention of depression raises questions about 'accidental'.

The article mentioned he'd weened off pain killers previously but was back on them for a newer accident. IF he was used to taking "3 of the red pills, twice a day" then got on some blue ones that were supposed to be 1 pill, once a day, I can see how he could have accidentally taken the wrong dose. If however, the post mortem finds a bottle of pills in his stomach or blood, then probably not accidental.

As with so many stories, we need to find out more details. Of course, that really doesn't matter as he appears to have been universally admired and it's such a shame for anyone to die so young. My thoughts are with his friends, family and aquaintances.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: ST loses one of its own [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Horrible. Very sad.

-Physiojoe

-Physiojoe
Instagram: @thephysiojoe
Cycling coach, Elite racer on Wooster Bikewerks p/b Wootown Bagels
Quote Reply
Re: ST loses one of its own [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe that anti-depressants and pain medicines do not mix well. The combination tends to create a situation where it slows your breathing down to dangerous levels and is easy to overdose on the combination. Just nasty stuff.

Was really sad to hear about his death yesterday.
Quote Reply