Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ST Thinkers! Building Home - Outlet Placement Tips
Quote | Reply
Thanks in advance for any comments! We are building a home and our contractor just noted that the electrician would like to do a walk through with us to discuss outlet placement etc. I searched and came up with some good ideas but also wanted to reach out to the brains that be ST'ers!

Since the walls are open now, this is the time to do things we really want. I have some ideas but would appreciate any other thoughts!

THANKS!
Quote Reply
Re: ST Thinkers! Building Home - Outlet Placement Tips [thunderdouble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is this with regards to a workout room, or just your house in general?

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: ST Thinkers! Building Home - Outlet Placement Tips [thunderdouble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a long shot, but years ago I remodeled a movie room. Put in some dropped crown moulding. (Crown moulding is the moulding that goes along the ceiling at a 45 degree angle. ) I put in the crown moulding about 10" down, then laid rope lighting inside the moulding. All you need is one outlet, but I added one on each side of the room 9" from the ceiling. All was hidden behind the trim. Threw a dimmer on that outlet, and it was kind of cool. The family loved it. Probably doesn't apply here, just saying...
Also, I've seen similar stuff in recessed ceiling panels. But that's a bigger project... having an outlet instead of a junction box is much easier to work with as a homeowner.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An outlet and conduit from any cabinet that is near where a TV would be so that you can easily wall mount your TV, pull the cables through the existing conduit, and plug into all of your components. Also an outlet behind where the TV would be mounted.

An outlet on your eaves/soffit to be able to plug in your christmas lights without an extension cord.

Prewired double/triple/quad gang plates in each bedroom for a switched outlet for a lamp and then independent control of a fan via switch, and the fan light kit via dimmer.

I have 2 4-bulb T5 high output florescent fixtures per bay of my garage on one of these switches http://www.amazon.com/...ui_search_detailpage . I want plenty of light in there when i'm out working on projects, and when you drive into the garage, instead of the simple dim garage opener light, you have the whole garage lit up for convenience and safety while you're unloading groceries, etc.

Figure out what internet you're going to use and where the service is going to come into the house, where the modem will be, where the wireless router will be, and how you will get signal from the router to any hard wired coax or ethernet cables from there for any connected devices including computers, cable boxes, surveillance cameras, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Need more info and maybe some pics of framing.

Some basic rules:

Never put a switch or plug behind a door swing (a good electrician should know this)

Plug spacing could be governed by local codes (IIRC 12 linear wall feet requires a plug)

You are allowed 12 points per 15 amp circuit (local codes may vary) IE a point is a plug or a light but not a switch.

Kitchen loads are "dedicated" and don't follow the same rules as above….check local codes for distance from sink and GFCI (ground fault) requirements. (an electrician should know this)

Understand what kind of trim you will have around doors (maybe windows) and account for that when roughing in….nothing pisses a carpenter off more than when you have to notch out door trim to accommodate a switch plate (makes me cry a bit when I see this in a new home ;-)

If you are building a "pain cave" it is not required by code but I would have separate "dedicated" circuits for treadmill, CT or kicker, and then electronics (and filter your electronics with a Power supply. I have a True treadmill and had to run a dedicated 20 amp circuit to it and then another to the bike trainer. Basically motor loads don't play nice in certain feed back situations. You don't want to be putting out 800 watts while your wife is running 20kph ;-)

If you are U.S. based check if the electrical trade is deregulated in your state….if it is pick your electrician wisely ;-)

For aesthetics, basically plug height is about 14" on centre but if you are looking at a high baseboard this looks kind of silly, you can mount plugs horizontal within the baseboard. If executed correctly it looks pretty slick (IE black decora with a stainless cover on a dark finish) having said that the trends change and this may be ugly now…but may look good if you have a kitchen with a dark cabinet and stainless appliances.

Basically put lighting location as a priority, some electricians really understand lighting design….others don't. If yours doesn't then pay a bit extra for a lighting designer to come in and do lay out and spec. This will cost extra….but in a new home lighting showcases every thing else.

Like I say need a bit more info,

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: ST Thinkers! Building Home - Outlet Placement Tips [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
If you are building a "pain cave" it is not required by code but I would have separate "dedicated" circuits for treadmill, CT or kicker, and then electronics (and filter your electronics with a Power supply. I have a True treadmill and had to run a dedicated 20 amp circuit to it and then another to the bike trainer. Basically motor loads don't play nice in certain feed back situations. You don't want to be putting out 800 watts while your wife is running 20kph ;-)

Definitely this. We had this done... only to figure out later that there were a few extra plugs also wired to the treadmill. The breaker blows occasionally. Very annoying. Make sure you do at least this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NEC requires lots and lots of outlets, so it only the "additional" outlets you need to worry about.

1) Master closet - NEC does not require an outlet, but I like to have on in there for charging cell phones and ironing.
2) Outlets at 60" for hanging TV's. And a conduit if you are going to wire your TV's to a box
3) Half hot outlets over the cabinets is something a lot of my clients do. They use these for Christmas lights during the holidays, or décor lights when they throw parties
4) Extra exterior outlets and garage outlets. NEC knocks out the inside, but doesn't require much at all in with regard to garages. Figure out where your work area will be
5) Future pool? Hot tub? Outdoor kitchen? It is easy to run a sub panel to any of those locations right now
6) X-mas light outlets on a switch up in the soffits, eaves, landscape beds, ext..
7) Figure out where the home office will be and double up the plugs
8) Dedicated beer fridge / freezer outlet. Garage outlets are all GFI, and on the same circuit.. No good if you are a hunter or bulk buyer and the breaker trips!

Best of luck!

Austin Hardy -

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thunderdouble wrote:
Thanks in advance for any comments! We are building a home and our contractor just noted that the electrician would like to do a walk through with us to discuss outlet placement etc. I searched and came up with some good ideas
If you haven't, read How Buildings Learn and The Design of Everyday Things.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of good ideas below. We put led guide lights (same size as a single gang) electrical box throughout the entire house, so at night, you can navigate everywhere without turning on a light. We have led lights, that is a full double outlet size, a combo outlet and guide light, combo double gfci and led, and led and single pole light switch.

Guide lights are in the bathroom, bedrooms, pretty much every location, kitchen countertop level, including two on each staircase.

We also have dedicated 4 port usb charging outlets or combo single outlet with double usb. Located in my workshop/bike shop for charging lights, garmin, etc. we have them by each beds nightstand location, and in our kitchen charging station area and mud room.

Outlets in soffits for Christmas lights are great. Honeywell makes a timer switch for outlets or motors that you input your longitude and latitude and time of day and date and you can set up when the lights should go on and off, and it auto adjusts each day as days get longer or shorter. Amazing product and all our exterior and landscape lights are controlled by these switches.

If you are having garage lighting or workshop lighting look into t5 high output lights. Effieicient and super bright. Put outlets at 48 inches off the floor for workshop and garage. Having plenty of outlets at this location is nice.

We put outlets in the ceiling in workshop and garage as they were used for several garage gator gr220, see Amazon, amazing bike storage solution for a taller garage, and we have a retractable extension cord real mounted on the ceiling of my workshop.

We have custom medicine cabinets our cabinet guy made in all the bathrooms with showers, and there are outlets in each medicine cabinet. Super clean to have shavers or toothbrushes charging and hidden from countertop clutter.

Wire each room for speakers, that you think you might want speakers ever, with open walls. Wiring is cheap, you can identify speaker locations and install speakers now and or much later. We use the sonos system, which is amazing. Speakers in family room, exterior speakers, workout room, kitchen, etc.

Ethernet to all TV locations is a good idea, too. Outlets in closets that might hold electronic equipment or sonos, or computer printers, etc.

Exterior flood lights on all house corners, etc.

We did led lighting for 99percent of all our lights. Super cheap options now, with quick energy payback. Amazon has excellent led options at amazing price points, and all the listed usb and led outlets listed above.

Our workout room and living room, we did in floor outlets for lights and or exercise equipment. Think about fan placement and TV placement for exercise room, if you will have one.

Exterior outlets, put one in all locations that you might want landscape or holiday lights, reduces extra extension cords. We even have outlets behind toilets, in case we want one of those auto bidet toilet covers.

We have dimmers in most outlets, some motion sensor lights inside the home, example, the garage has a t5 overhead motion sensor light that goes on when you walk or drive into it.

Pm me if you want products or at least Amazon links.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Switched plugs/outlets.
For bedrooms, living rooms (floor & table lamps).
Switched exterior outlets for emergency or garden
(and to stop freeloaders).
Locate outlets so they are accessible after furniture has been placed.
(moving a couch to plug in a lamp is a pain)

Timers for when you are away, or too lazy to go around turning stuff off.
Floor plugs under dining or coffee tables.
Quote Reply
Re: ST Thinkers! Building Home - Outlet Placement Tips [phog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
phog wrote:
Switched plugs/outlets.
For bedrooms, living rooms (floor & table lamps).

Bah current house has this. I hate it. But I really don't like lamps, guess it is a style thing.

If you DO switched plugs, make sure you do lots of extra plugs around the room (or you may run out of non-switched plugs), and make sure you put in more than 1 or 2 switched plugs. Not enough switched plugs means you can never move your lamp, which the womens like to do yearly or more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
220 for your electric car birth in garage and outside, additional plug for where you may want a treadmill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can afford it or can do it yourself, put in more outlets than the NEC code requires in each room. You'll be glad later.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you are doing a pain cave and ride a TT bike on a trainer a lot, dont mount the TV at tall height like you might think. made thad mistake and could hardly see it when tucked in aero. I lowered the tv ALOT and it makes it so much nicer now. before i didnt want to ride in aero much cause i wanted to kill time by watching tv, now much better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I was building a house I would definitely install some Wemo outlets/switches that let you control them from a smart phone. That might not be what you're asking about but I would love to be able to turn lights on/off remotely and even unlock my door or open my garage remotely if needed. And while you're at it you could even have cameras installed that can be viewed remotely. Ok, now I'm probably way off track even if I wasn't before.

And a beer tap! Don't forget that!

The best pace is a suicide pace, and today is a good day to die. -Steve Prefontaine
Quote Reply