Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
SRM Price Drop
Quote | Reply
http://www.srm.de/...nounces-new-pricing/

Quote:
We are excited to announce a substantial price reduction effective immediately for all PowerMeter models. The new MSRP pricing is an average 30% decrease from previous pricing.

Now our lowest price PowerMeters begin at $1399 for spiders using Specialized, Cannondale, SRAM and Rotor crank arms. SRM’s most popular power meter, the Shimano 11-speed model is reduced from $2970 to $2199 including crank arms and chain rings. SRM’s SRAM compatible model will now sell for $1599 including cranks and chain rings.

“This pricing change has been months in the making,” expressed SRM Founder & CEO, Ulrich Schoberer. “We have listened to customer and retailer feedback, and after intensive analysis SRM is proud to be in a position to respond to those demands,” says Schoberer.

Along with the price reduction, SRM is backing its PowerMeter and PowerControl models with a Limited Lifetime Warranty. “SRM is widely regarded as the pinnacle of accuracy and reliability for power measurement. Providing a lifetime warranty to our customers will offer peace of mind knowing their investment is protected,” added Schoberer. Our new Limited Lifetime Warranty can be viewed here.

For more information, contact your local SRM retailer or visit store.srm.de for a complete overview of the new pricing and product information.

blog
Last edited by: stevej: Feb 1, 16 5:48
Quote Reply
Re: SRM Price Drop [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMO, 30% wasn't enough.
Quote Reply
Re: SRM Price Drop [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rijndael wrote:
IMO, 30% wasn't enough.

Agreed...my first reaction was "not enough".

SRM is getting dangerously close to getting priced out of the market. It ahs happened before with category pioneers....first ones to the market, establish credibility and, for awhile, know that people will pay more for their accuracy, etc. But that only lasts for so long and they lose sight of the market and find themselves disconnected.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: SRM Price Drop [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SRM = Computrainer?
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: SRM Price Drop [gabbiev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gabbiev wrote:
Brushman wrote:
SRM = Computrainer?

Interesting comparison--both are best of breed, right? The question is whether consumers want BofB and are willing to pay for it.

Both were BofB at one time.....strong cases can be made that neither is now.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not enough to put a dent on PowerTap, Quarq, and P2Max.

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I say give it more time. While it's positive to see they have slashed their prices, they may not see an increase in business as much as they are hoping for. Time will tell. I wouldn't be surprised to see another price cut 6-12 months from now.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe this is just a move to protect their existing market from bleeding away even more. I doubt many new recreational riders even consider SRM nowadays as the cost is just so much more than other good PMs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup. And they can do that, because their profit margins were so huge to begin with. All those years at "gold standard" prices...........
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: SRM Price Drop [goodboyr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
goodboyr wrote:
Yup. And they can do that, because their profit margins were so huge to begin with. All those years at "gold standard" prices...........

That gold standard is not unwarranted. are you discounting the fact that Quarq, Pioneer, and Stages all had growing pains in the last three years?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To me this is not even close to enough as powertap who has a huge history at this point is still much less expensive with both numerous options as well as much easier maintenance overtime.

Now from a marketing standpoint I think SRM should have just created a new product line and competed on price. I think they are in no mans land on this deal as they are devaluing the high end business from consumers that would pay the higher price and are totally missing the value buyers. I doubt they will see very much uptick in business at all. In fact I would be willing to bet their revenue number drops y/y.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pioneer Power price drop also

Retul Certified Fitter. gebioMized Pressure Mapping http://www.PedPowerPerformLab.com.
Retailer of Wahoo Fitness, Sable Water Optics, Enve Composit, Giro and more.
Zone3 USA Ambassador - use code DEAN25 for 25% off
http://www.OasisOne-Twelve.com - The ultimate hands free hydration system.
https://www.athlinks.com/athletes/19354499 - results.
Quote Reply
Re: SRM Price Drop [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that quarq had most of their growing pains ~6 years ago.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had?
Quote Reply
Re: SRM Price Drop [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They had a lot 6 years ago, but they have plenty of issues today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We're probably hearing less complaints about Quarqs because their market share has declined.

It took CycleOps about 9 years and being sold several times to iron out the PT's reliability issues. I don't think Quarq has that luxury even though they had a head start of a few years over their current competitors.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PowerTap hub. Rock solid and you could almost buy three of them for 3 separate wheelsets for the price of just one 11 Speed shimano SRM.
Quote Reply
Re: SRM Price Drop [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sentania wrote:
I think that quarq had most of their growing pains ~6 years ago.

read the following two threads (one dated 2012, the other last year) and perhaps they will persuade you to change your mind on when the issues were resolved. Also note the abhorrent behavior of one of the forum overlords for me doubting his sponsor.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...post=5550870#5550870
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=4136890;#4136890

the general consensus is that the newest generation of Quarqs seem to do a lot better in the wet. I have no first hand or second hand experience, but would trust this assertion.

The thing is that the SRM purchaser demographic has always been different from that of the other PMs. Will the price drop cut into SRM's margin, most definitely? But their target audience won't be jumping ship simply because SRM no longer has the cachet of being a "luxury" product. The reason for this is that they never were a luxury product in the sense LVMH brands are luxury product. Though they weren't problem free, SRM never had the systemic issues that plagued Quarq and may still plague some of the other brands. That is why most of their target audience were willing to pay more: when you have a season of data that you could no longer trust, $1000 more all the sudden didn't seem like too big a price to pay. That "luxury" for which the SRM buyers were paying is an ease of mind knowing that the data are trustworthy, not some intangible brand cachet.

That SRM is dropping the price to be $200 more expensive than Quarq means that they've made that decision a lot easier for people who have concerns about reliability but were turned off by the significant price differential. Furthermore, it is well known that used SRMs hold their values a lot better, which means that some of those who once purchased used SRM may be able to swing a few hundred more (as opposed to $1000 more) for a brand new unit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
People will still pay for SRM. Maybe not you Tri guys, but any elite level roadie or ag with cash still pays out for the SRM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
People used to vehemently defend Ergomo and we all know how that story ended.
Quote Reply
Re: SRM Price Drop [jpwiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jpwiki wrote:
People will still pay for SRM. Maybe not you Tri guys, but any elite level roadie or ag with cash still pays out for the SRM

Bingo...

I have three SRM's... all bought used.

Not 1 single problem with them...

My last one was an 11 speed Dura Ace SRM... I pad 1500 shipped for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The joys of capitalism.... I think this was an inevitable step by SRM as clearly there are many more recent companies that have eaten into its market share especially as SRM is Clearly the most expensive power meter on the market. In saying that I have justified purchasing two SRM (helped by a pro discount of 30% I would add though) because they are the gold standard for a reason (reliability accuracy and very good customer service) and they hold their value better.

I think for the majority of triathletes SRM is not a viable choice because of price. Their appeal is more geared towards roadies and pros, ones who place a top premium on accurate power readings and who will be in the sport for a long time. Being frank, the burnout time for many triathletes is quite high.

Quote | Reply
same. Wired, wired, wireless, wireless. Not a single problem. Sent in to calibrate every two years and often came back with all new internals without asking.

As an aside, the SRM HQ is one of the nicest offices I've seen... I'd love to work there!

Donzo98 wrote:
jpwiki wrote:

Bingo...

I have three SRM's... all bought used.

Not 1 single problem with them...

My last one was an 11 speed Dura Ace SRM... I pad 1500 shipped for it.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply

Prev Next