Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
SRAM eTap Wireless = winner
Quote | Reply
Just read the front page review article on the new SRAM eTap Wireless group and I'm pretty impressed. The only minor downside I see compared to Di2 is that the junction box (which is only necessary for TT/tri) is slightly larger. Otherwise it's lighter, cheaper, easier to recharge batteries, has the ability to swap batteries mid-ride, easier to install, more flexible with location of shifters (essentially anywhere you want them), and provides more intuitive shifting IMO (one button up, one button down, both together shifts the FD). I also like that you can use any brake levers you like since the shift buttons aren't part of the lever assembly. No more hacking a solution for P5 users or anyone who prefers their current brake levers. Am I missing something or did SRAM just kick Di2 square in the nutz? I decided to hold on to my Trek SC for at least a couple more seasons but to to a complete overhaul this winter and I was planning to go Ultegra Di2 but I'm 99% sure that plan just changed.
Last edited by: TH3_FRB: Aug 27, 15 8:52
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM eTap Wireless = winner [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM eTap Wireless = winner [burninglegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know how the blipbox attaches to the frame? I know its a quarter mount turn system like garmin use but is it attached using rubber bands as in the garmin system? From the pics I've seen it seems not. Anyone know if its possible to mount below the stem (or anywhere else for that matter)?
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM eTap Wireless = winner [kev1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is a shot of Rinny's ride at DSM Tri a couple weeks ago.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe on the road, but the front end of the TT system is a mess. Those buttons look like a total afterthought and the front wiring system/junction boxes are a mess.

TriRig's take definitely doesn't agree with you either- http://www.tririg.com/...e_SRAM_eTap_Wireless
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM eTap Wireless = winner [JTolandTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JTolandTRI wrote:
Maybe on the road, but the front end of the TT system is a mess. Those buttons look like a total afterthought and the front wiring system/junction boxes are a mess.

TriRig's take definitely doesn't agree with you either- http://www.tririg.com/...e_SRAM_eTap_Wireless

u need to have something for eTap ver 2 ;) gotta keep the money coming in u know lol

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about them looks like an afterthought to you? Because they aren't integrated with brake levers? To me it's a big benefit to have complete freedom in mounting them anywhere I want and to be able to use any brake levers I want. The junction box is only as much of a mess as you let it be.

Haven't read the TriRig's article yet but do they have issues with the function and features or the fact that it isn't actually completely wireless?

JTolandTRI wrote:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
funny, i read two reviews and agreed with both; the roadies at VeloNews loved them and Nick at TriRig trashed them.

i would love to get some on my next road bike but for tri, i have to agree with Nick; tri bikes usually have "bar end" shifters and SRAM didn't make any.
this is SRAM's display at Interbike. they way they wrapped the bars amplified the "afterthought" aspect. this is the best they can do?

adding one note: can these be used for UCI TTs? how will it affect the bar length requirement? i know Di2 and cable get measured differently.

Last edited by: dsmallwood: Sep 23, 15 16:49
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM eTap Wireless = winner [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed, total afterthought. The road version looks nice and as it should be though. I was expecting more from SRAM.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM eTap Wireless = winner [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
they don't get measured differently. all are to furthest possible point. di2 fixed, mech furthest reach of lever at any point in arc swung while shifting(for reach and height above pads)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just read the TR review. Their major complaint with the function of the blips is that it's a departure from the traditional approach of using one set of shifters for each derailleur split on the left and right side of the cockpit. So different is automatically bad. They claim it's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. This is one of the biggest appeals of eTap to me. It's not a solution to a problem but it is an innovation and a better way in some opinions. I don't need 4 buttons on each side of the cockpit and will never accidentally hit the up when I want the down. It seems completely logical to me that one hand shifts up and the other down. Plus the fact that I can position the blips anywhere I want them. Can't shift the front with 1 hand - absolutely true but so what? The blipbox is bigger than the Di2 junction box - also true and may very well make it more challenging to integrate cleanly but a relatively minor issue IMO. Then they start really reaching for things to bash like the estimated battery life of about a month for the derailleurs vs several months for Di2. I charge my Garmin before every ride. I don't expect popping off the REMOVABLE batteries to charge them once a month will bother me. Not to mention the convenience of carrying a spare for swapping on the fly if necessary. And suggesting that triathletes will not like the little CR2032 battery in the blipbox because it isn't environmentally friendly - seriously? It's pretty clear that there is some bias in that review which isn't really surprising considering TR markets products that are designed specifically for Di2 integration that won't be compatible with eTap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JTolandTRI wrote:
Maybe on the road, but the front end of the TT system is a mess.

Well, it kind of depends on what impression you are trying to give. TR included this photo in their review which does make it look like a mess.

But with some attention to detail you could have something more like this depending on the specific bike you have to work with

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
did they deliberately make that such a mess? I can get cleaner than that on a p2sl with a traditional stem.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TH3_FRB wrote:
[

Well, it kind of depends on what impression you are trying to give. TR included this photo in their review which does make it look like a mess.

Right - it'll take some time for bar and frame manufacturers to optimize installation around this thing.

That said, I'm sure the next generation will have a BlipBox half the size of this one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was jazzed for sram wireless, but will wait until they make a bar end shifter. I don't need shifters on the brake hoods and would like the traditional bar ends that are wire free. I can't imagine that they won't make these.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great for the road but obviously not ready for tri. I will wait for V2 and enjoy my Di2 till then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TH3_FRB wrote:
JTolandTRI wrote:
Maybe on the road, but the front end of the TT system is a mess.

But with some attention to detail you could have something more like this depending on the specific bike you have to work with

The Tririg article came off as fairly biased, AKA shimano handing them some freebies for the article. I agree that for TT it is still a wired system and takes time to setup, but i would think that could be counterbalanced due to the ability to swap batteries. I am betting they will have a dedicated TT setup in the next year, but for right now their focus has been on the road, which is absolutely amazing.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM eTap Wireless = winner [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
still, the way SRAM envision shifting with the TT-setup is just not ideal. I have to agree with TriRig, Shimano's is much more intuitive.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM eTap Wireless = winner [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It looks like that TriRig photo came from the SRAM booth at Interbike. Apparently that's how they wanted the world to see it.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM eTap Wireless = winner [lmar77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lmar77 wrote:
still, the way SRAM envision shifting with the TT-setup is just not ideal. I have to agree with TriRig, Shimano's is much more intuitive.

I think it really depends on what is your ultimate objective? For TT applications you are correct there is not a significant advantage, except for battery access and swapping. The one handed shifting is something i am not sold on at this moment, i will have to try it out before i give an opinion. As a roadie it is pretty exciting, for TT applications i am guessing Sram will have a true wireless system in a year.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM eTap Wireless = winner [lmar77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely a personal opinion based on your experience and preferences. If you drove a car with paddle shifters you might find the eTap very intuitive. Di2 isn't so much intuitive as it is familiar - up/down on the rear der with your right hand, up/down on the front with your left. That's what we are all accustomed to since the day we started riding bikes with gears. For me, on a TT bike where I'll be aero the majority of the time and infrequently need to shift the front ring, I really like the idea of a single button on each extension to do my shifting.

lmar77 wrote:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't realize before today that the blip box is on a garmin mount. Seems like it would be rather trivial then to mount it between the aero extensions underneath a BTA bottle, directly in front of the stem. It would be nearly invisible.

I don't see being able to shift the front dérailleur one handed as a big deal, but if you wanted to you could easily set up 2 blips on the right extension only, one on top for downshifts and one on top for up shifts (or vice versa) and just squeeze both when you wanted to shift the front.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Sep 23, 15 19:40
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM eTap Wireless = winner [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I generally agree with the criticism that the blipbox is large and more difficult to integrate cleanly but I don't think it's a deal breaker and can be taken care of with some thought and ingenuity.I don't care if it's hidden as long as it's clean like the example in the Canyon pic.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM eTap Wireless = winner [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ron_Burgundy wrote:
The Tririg article came off as fairly biased, AKA shimano handing them some freebies for the article. I agree that for TT it is still a wired system and takes time to setup, but i would think that could be counterbalanced due to the ability to swap batteries. I am betting they will have a dedicated TT setup in the next year, but for right now their focus has been on the road, which is absolutely amazing.

The SRAM junction doesn't fit in the TriRig Alpha X junction cavity.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM eTap Wireless = winner [michael_runs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
michael_runs wrote:
Ron_Burgundy wrote:

The SRAM junction doesn't fit in the TriRig Alpha X junction cavity.

There we go, i was wondering why they had such a negative view.
Quote Reply

Prev Next