Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
SRAM 1x11 for Road
Quote | Reply
Surprised that no one has posted this yet.

SRAM is making a 1x11 group for road, along with some lower priced 1x rings for CX. Rings come in even tooth sizes from 38T-54T now.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM 1x11 for Road [durk onion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice I would totally rock that!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm running the 48T with an 11-28 on my road bike. Have been for a while now. I wanted to have both bikes in 1x for a variety of reasons: spares on hand in case of emergency, but mostly familiarity in all facets with how it shifts, what - if anything - might cause the chain to drop, etc.

I love it. It's amazing the enjoyment factor that comes from the added simplicity.

For me, even over very variable terrain, I really just enjoy the simplicity a great deal. It's nothing revolutionary, but it really does make riding - my riding anyway - better.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM 1x11 for Road [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jordan, have you had any chain drops yet (if so which side of the ring did you drop?). Are you running a clutched deraileur too? What is your feeling on any possible efficiency penalties, under non optimal chainlines, with the narrow/wide chain ring?

i'm running 1x11 on my TT bike but have to be super diligent during shifting to avoid chain drops.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM 1x11 for Road [Pantelones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have the legs that Jordan does so I'm using the 42 with an 11-28 cassette, running the CX-1 chainring with a stock Force 22 RD on my road bike. Michigan roads tend to really suck thanks to frost heave, and even over the roughest of sections I have yet to drop a chain while shifting. I'm a hardcore Shimano homer, but SRAM has really earned my love with CX-1 line.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now I hope they make a electronic TT version.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM 1x11 for Road [IronSnowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IronSnowman wrote:
I don't have the legs that Jordan does so I'm using the 42 with an 11-28 cassette, running the CX-1 chainring with a stock Force 22 RD on my road bike. Michigan roads tend to really suck thanks to frost heave, and even over the roughest of sections I have yet to drop a chain while shifting. I'm a hardcore Shimano homer, but SRAM has really earned my love with CX-1 line.

I rock a 50 with 11-28 on the back and I almost never shift down to the small ring; I bet with 11-32 I could get rid of the small ring/fd for good.

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why not a 10-XX cassette as in MTB??
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM 1x11 for Road [BarcelonaGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That would require a different freehub body like an XD-driver... https://www.sram.com/.../sram-xd-driver-body ... though I'm pretty sure Zipp (owned by SRAM) has already released an XD driver for their wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM 1x11 for Road [pyrahna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMO, the 10t cassette ring is (for now) a near vital piece of the puzzle in bringing 1X to the road for many people.

As things stand, loads of folks are struggling to get the range that they need to make this work and still maintain smooth(ish) shifting.
As cassettes gain more cogs this will cease to be an issue, but for now a 10t would allow people to use a smaller chainring and so improve gearing on climbs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
According to Cycling news, there will be 10-XX cassettes available:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/sram-brings-1x-to-the-road-with-new-force-1-and-rival-1-groupsets

As noted by others, this will require the XD freehub body.

~Kevin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"48T and 50T to fit standard compact five-arm 110mm BCD spiders; and 52T and 54T chainrings for standard five-arm 130mm"

Well that is annoying. I was pretty sure the venge lunch race specs said it was a 110 and came with a 52 which means they already made it but now are saying it will only be in a 130.

Still wanting to do a 1X on my tri bike for certain races, some wind I got stuck in last week on the road bike makes me hesitant but maybe I'll do some maths.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
durk onion wrote:
Surprised that no one has posted this yet.

SRAM is making a 1x11 group for road, along with some lower priced 1x rings for CX. Rings come in even tooth sizes from 38T-54T now.

I will definitely switch to this once all the kinks and a lot of reviews are out...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The road group option is new but a lot of this was discussed when they released the CX1.

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/...review/#.VS6N6yTIb8v and on here...
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...string=1x11;#4525985

The CX1 performs great and I run a 1x11 on my cross bike. But I swap out the wheels for road tires and use it for training rides when the weather is bad or if I want to hit some gravel. With the right gear ratio you shouldn't have any problems on the low or high end (read Pez's article above). It is nice not fiddling with the FD, something about the simplicity. Bike looks cleaner too. Heck Tony Martin was running a single ring up front with a wide cassette on back for his TT's so that he didn't have to shift out of the big ring up front. I've considered that config for my tri bike as well.

--------------------------------------------------
Non-Swimming Duathlete
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM 1x11 for Road [Pantelones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pantelones wrote:
Jordan, have you had any chain drops yet (if so which side of the ring did you drop?). Are you running a clutched deraileur too? What is your feeling on any possible efficiency penalties, under non optimal chainlines, with the narrow/wide chain ring?

i'm running 1x11 on my TT bike but have to be super diligent during shifting to avoid chain drops.

No, no chain drops.

Yes, clutched rear derailleur.

Based off the Friction-Facts testing of losses as a function of chain tension, I feel confident that the penalties from increased tension are absolutely minimal. Friction-Facts tested narrow-wide rings and found NO difference there.

Non optimal chainlines I do not know. I believe Friction-Facts did work there too. I need to read through it.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM 1x11 for Road [mrtopher1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mrtopher1980 wrote:
"48T and 50T to fit standard compact five-arm 110mm BCD spiders; and 52T and 54T chainrings for standard five-arm 130mm"

Well that is annoying. I was pretty sure the venge lunch race specs said it was a 110 and came with a 52 which means they already made it but now are saying it will only be in a 130.

Still wanting to do a 1X on my tri bike for certain races, some wind I got stuck in last week on the road bike makes me hesitant but maybe I'll do some maths.

The 52 ring on the Lunch Race is of Specialized's own manufacture... Not sure if it is narrow-wide.

Quote Reply
Re: SRAM 1x11 for Road [kluecke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kluecke wrote:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/sram-brings-1x-to-the-road-with-new-force-1-and-rival-1-groupsets

There is a new hubset coming for Zipp that has a different hubshell that accepts 10-speed. This hubset has been shown (I think at NAHBS).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:

The 52 ring on the Lunch Race is of Specialized's own manufacture... Not sure if it is narrow-wide.

The spec sheet ( which may be incorrect) states specifically that it is a CX-1 xsync ring in a 52T.

It may have been the 110/130 I was confused on since at the time I think they only produced the xsync rings in a 110 that you could buy stand alone, which may have lead an article I read to claim it was 110. Seems I may have been lusting after something that never existed :(

10-x road stuff coming may put my new road bike wheel build on hold until more hub options are out, so maybe i'll grab a 130 p2m with the price drop and move the 110 to the road bike. That would give me the most options.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarcelonaGuy wrote:
Why not a 10-XX cassette as in MTB??

I did this last year. Wolf Tooth Componets 44T wide narrow chain ring and SRAM XX 10 speed Mountain Bike Derailleur (non- clutched) and 11x36T Cassette. Works perfect, have never dropped a chain even when riding single track sections between gravel roads (Gravel Grovel Race for example).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the same setup on my Tri-Bike as well... (44T Wolf Tooth Components with SRAM XX 10 speed Derailluer and 11x36 Cassette or SRAM Red 11x28 cassette)

Last edited by: GTOscott: Apr 16, 15 9:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
kluecke wrote:

There is a new hubset coming for Zipp that has a different hubshell that accepts 10-speed. This hubset has been shown (I think at NAHBS).

Do you mean a 10t cog without an XD driver? All non-XD Drivers support 10s. Or do you just mean a hub with the XD driver? The new Zipp 30 has the latter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's what I tweeted yesterday ;-)

Quote:
1X drivetrains: cuz mechanics and designers R so sick & tired of trying to get U 2 adjust ur derailleur right #UneedMOREgearstilwesayUdont

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jordan ...Are you running a narrow wide chain ring? If so where did you find a 50T?

Thanks

Rappstar wrote:
Pantelones wrote:

No, no chain drops.

Yes, clutched rear derailleur.

Based off the Friction-Facts testing of losses as a function of chain tension, I feel confident that the penalties from increased tension are absolutely minimal. Friction-Facts tested narrow-wide rings and found NO difference there.

Non optimal chainlines I do not know. I believe Friction-Facts did work there too. I need to read through it.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM 1x11 for Road [bonafide505] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The new SRAM 1x rings go up to a 54T
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't find anything larger than 46 and that's for a 110 BCD, not a 130.

durk onion wrote:
The new SRAM 1x rings go up to a 54T
Quote Reply

Prev Next