Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
SI fittest list
Quote | Reply
Ok, few endurance athletes on there. I guess strength was weighted heavily, but why is the Olympic lifter only a 6 out of 10 with LaBron James ranking 10 out of 10 for a perfect forty on Speed, Agility, Endurance, and Strength. I see a lot of less popular athletes who surely have better speed, agility, endurance and strength than him, if not more than one category. At least a Soccer player was number 2.

http://bleacherreport.com/...torial&hpt=hp_c3

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: SI fittest list [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Usain Bolt: endurance score 9
Froome: endurance score 9

Froning (crossfitter): strength score 6.5
Ronaldo: strength score 8.5

Thomas Jones (running back): Agility 4
Meb: agility 5.5

makes sense to me
Quote Reply
Re: SI fittest list [jonahsdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jonahsdad wrote:
Usain Bolt: endurance score 9
Froome: endurance score 9

Froning (crossfitter): strength score 6.5
Ronaldo: strength score 8.5

Thomas Jones (running back): Agility 4
Meb: agility 5.5

makes sense to me

Yeah, Usain Bolt is probably working on base miles as we speak.

I'd like to see a correlation between their annual salaries and overall rankings..
Quote Reply
Re: SI fittest list [Dtyrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about popularity.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What a joke!

The best and most fit athlete in the world ALWAYS will be the World's best decathlete at that given time. As it currently stands, that title belongs to Mr. Ashton Eaton.

100m Dash - 10.21s
Longjump - 8.23m
Shotput - 15.72m
Highjump - 2.05m
400m - 46.7s
110mH - 13.7
Discus - 42.81
Pole Vault - 17' 4.5"
Javelin - 58.87m
1500m - 4:14:48

But yea...sure, "Lebron James is the most fit". Absolutely f'n stupid.

The Home of Advanced Running
Advanced Running Instagram Page
My narcisstic training log
Quote Reply
Re: SI fittest list [justarunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is what in talking about. So Bruce Jenner was ones the fittest.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting that Froome is the sole cycling representative. I would have listed both Tony Martin and Fabian Cancellera ahead of him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like to believe Bruce Jenner was one of the greatest because I'm often told I look like him. :p

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope you mean in his prime and not any point in the last 7 years.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
I hope you mean in his prime and not any point in the last 7 years.

Yes!

Now be gone with you. Back to the LR you pleb.

Last edited by: justarunner: Aug 6, 14 21:02
Quote Reply
Re: SI fittest list [ziggie204] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ziggie204 wrote:
Interesting that Froome is the sole cycling representative. I would have listed both Tony Martin and Fabian Cancellera ahead of him.

They probably just googled "winner of last year's Tour de France"
Last edited by: walie: Aug 6, 14 22:04
Quote Reply
Re: SI fittest list [walie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
walie wrote:
ziggie204 wrote:

They probably just googled "winner of last year's Tour de France"

Whoa whoa whoa, have some respect, this is bleacher report, alright, the pinnacle of sports reporting. How dare you insinuate that they actually do not know jack shit about 99.999999999999% of what they report about.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
justarunner wrote:
What a joke!

The best and most fit athlete in the world ALWAYS will be the World's best decathlete at that given time. As it currently stands, that title belongs to Mr. Ashton Eaton.

100m Dash - 10.21s
Longjump - 8.23m
Shotput - 15.72m
Highjump - 2.05m
400m - 46.7s
110mH - 13.7
Discus - 42.81
Pole Vault - 17' 4.5"
Javelin - 58.87m
1500m - 4:14:48

But yea...sure, "Lebron James is the most fit". Absolutely f'n stupid.

Amen. He the man.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lebron and Adrian Peterson are the most insane physical combinations of speed, strength, agility, and SIZE relative to the demands of their sports.

But endurance? Fittest? Eh, whatever, cool that Serge IBLOCKa made the list! Thunder Up!

-Bryan Journey
Travel Blog | Training Blog | Facebook Page
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LBJ over Ronaldo is a joke, CR is a true genetic freak if you have ever seen him play. The guy has coordination, speed, endurance, and strength that has never been seen in soccer before. LBJ's conditioning could be questioned this year with several weak playoff games and his noticed efforts to loose weight and increase conditioning. The fact that any baseball player is on the list eliminates any chance this is in fact a real list. Also the fittest man on earth (according to crossfit) is only ranked 19 but i would bet in a hypothetical test of all fitness events he would crush most of these single sport athletes except for a handful.

Why is Jon Jones well above GSP? Just why?

SI needs to make up a simple test, mail it to the athletes (just exclude the decathletes since they automatically win), compile the scores and then post the results. Something like max pull ups, bodyweight bench press for reps, 40yd, agility course, 3 mile, and max deadlift.
Last edited by: -Mike-: Aug 6, 14 23:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought this was the better chart
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/sportSkills
as it gives you a sport baseline.

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
Re: SI fittest list [linhardt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
linhardt wrote:

How many Rodeo riders were in their panel of experts? Apparently steer riding requires a lot of power. On the part of the steer or the rider? And water polo has more "speed" than cycling. Is water polo a race? This just goes to show that you really can't compare sports. A better way to do this would be to take the top athletes from their respective sports and have them compete in other sports. I'd like to see a rodeo man's power on Alpe D'huez.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dtyrrell wrote:
linhardt wrote:

How many Rodeo riders were in their panel of experts? Apparently steer riding requires a lot of power. On the part of the steer or the rider? And water polo has more "speed" than cycling. Is water polo a race? This just goes to show that you really can't compare sports. A better way to do this would be to take the top athletes from their respective sports and have them compete in other sports. I'd like to see a rodeo man's power on Alpe D'huez.

Steer WRESTLING not riding. Nobody rides steers. Let me tell you from painful experience that steer wrestling (or bulldogging as it's also called) requires loads of power. Football linebacker type power. The riding events (bull and both types of bronc riding) require strength but really are more about balance and coordination.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dtyrrell wrote:
linhardt wrote:

That would be steer wrestling, not steer riding, sir. Bronc, bull and bareback riding are significantly further down the list, although I think the core and arm strength required would be quite significant. Frankly, I'm not sure which would be funnier, a rodeo cowboy climbing Alpe D'huez or a cyclist trying steer wrestling.

Goes to show the whole list (both lists) is completely ridiculous.

John
Quote Reply
Re: SI fittest list [guitarfrk75] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BlackStumpGumby wrote:
Steer WRESTLING not riding. Nobody rides steers. Let me tell you from painful experience that steer wrestling (or bulldogging as it's also called) requires loads of power. Football linebacker type power. The riding events (bull and both types of bronc riding) require strength but really are more about balance and coordination.

guitarfrk75 wrote:
That would be steer wrestling, not steer riding, sir. Bronc, bull and bareback riding are significantly further down the list, although I think the core and arm strength required would be quite significant. Frankly, I'm not sure which would be funnier, a rodeo cowboy climbing Alpe D'huez or a cyclist trying steer wrestling.

Goes to show the whole list (both lists) is completely ridiculous.

John

Not many rodeos here in NC, so I should have kept my mouth shut about the steer WRESTLING! =D Honestly, I've never heard of this, but sounds interesting to me. Point taken. You're right though, these never do anything but get people riled up. I think I'd rather see Froome on bucking bronco or wrastlin a steer though. Or maybe Nibali.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Coming soon, the 50 fittest female athletes"

hell yeah
Quote Reply
Re: SI fittest list [linhardt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can see boxing. I boxed for years. Most from beginner to advanced are warn out by the three to four standard 2 minute rounds in amateur boxing. Can barely hold their hands up. Let alone focus with enough ability to complete. There are no specific training regiments that train you for actual fighting beyond fighting. You can run five to ten miles three times a week, you can hit the bag for hours, jump rope and that prepares the body, but it all changes after you get hit and the adrenaline floods the system.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reggie Bush and Roger Federer share the same speed!

The list certainly includes 50 very fit athletes, no doubt about it, but the numbers they assigned to each for the different criteria seems completely arbitrary! It would be impossible to create an undisputed list of the top (any number) fittest, but at least have your numbers make sense!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is only one issue of SI each year worth paying any attention to. It comes out around January.

Pete Githens
Reading, PA
Quote Reply
Re: SI fittest list [-Mike-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
-Mike- wrote:
LBJ over Ronaldo is a joke, CR is a true genetic freak if you have ever seen him play. The guy has coordination, speed, endurance, and strength that has never been seen in soccer before. LBJ's conditioning could be questioned this year with several weak playoff games and his noticed efforts to loose weight and increase conditioning.

LeBron is without a doubt the single greatest physical specimen in the NBA since Chamberlain. We are talking about a human that is 6'8 250, has a VJ well in excess of 40", has freakish agility for any size, and in a straight sprint is maybe the fastest man in the league. His effort can absolutely be questioned, but the guy is one of the biggest athletic freaks in any of our lifetimes. He would massacre Ronaldo in any athletic metric not involving endurance or agility (and IMO that would be closer than you think). Of all the ridiculous things on that list, that is what you chose to pinpoint?
Quote Reply

Prev Next