Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [GatorRacer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just wanted to thank you for bringing back my old bike stream :-)

Where's the seat shifter?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess watching where you are going in or near an aid station is not important.

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GatorRacer wrote:
To make the rear airfoil capable of holding tools, etc...would have not been as aero as Dr. Speed mentioned in the launch video.
How did the 2011 Fuelcell in the seat tube cage mount do in the tunnel? Looks like it's still almost a perfect fit :)
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [Rocket_racing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocket_racing wrote:
The fork:

i would like to get a better look. The previously mentioned idea that the fork wings may help prep the air for the knees is an interesting one. If it did, the low yaw data with a rider might be impressive, even if the low yaw riderless data was medeocre.

Is there any serious manufacturer nowadays, who still tests bikes without a rider onboard?

----------------------------
Need more W/CdA.
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [MITaerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Keith and Mark,

Thanks for answering some of our questions. That is great support.

I was wondering were and when we could see the new Shiv if we are not in Kona.
Are there any specific stores (especially in Europe) where we could see the bike before we have to decide to order one or not?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Runorama wrote:
Drag with a rider on will be competitive at 0 yaw with a P5(x) and will beat it at >15°.

What's "competitive" mean exactly? And >15deg isn't a viable design point.

I guess we will have realistic aero figures and comparisons when several other disk models are available (P5, P3, IA, Canyon, ...) and an independent study will be made comparing (some of) these new disk models with (some of) existing disk models (P5X, Dimond, new Shiv, ...) and (some) rim models (P5, P3, IA, Canyon, ...), a bit like the "Tri bike in the age of peak aero" study, including :

- equivalent configs (same volume of water, gels and bars, repair kit, tooth brush, shower gel, credit card holder....)
- same rider with same position and same helmet
- various yaw
- in a single wind tunnel, same wind speed

I think this new Shiv bring interesting aero solutions. And I like the look. It is not pretty, but it look efficient, impressive, innovative.

No comment on practicability of bladder, refilling, etc... this is personal choice.

The elephant in the room, for me, at this stage (apart from the price, so let´s say the second elephant in the room...) is why such a shy announcement regading aero perf ?
I'm sure Spe engineer are good, they brought very innovative solutions (at the expense of look and cost ?), they should have got a significant gain over old Shiv, and they have nearly nothing... 1mn on 180km is error margin.

A problem with disk brake aero ?
All new solutions (new fork, new "bladder sail", ...) just to compensate disk drag ?
Probably every brand will have this problem ?

At this stage, I consider disk brake is nice for security, but maybe not a step in the right direction for aero ? Making aero perf announcement difficult for new disk models ?

Any results from fair comparaison between same model with rim brake vs disk brake ?
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:
Hello

first post on Slowtwich for me. Sorry for the english, I'm french...

1 minute of aero gain over an Ironman : based on my beloved calculator, carefully calibrated through hours of ride on the track and road, 1mn over 180km around pro speed (40 km/h) equal : 2,1 w
i.e. 1,2 watt for me (around 33km/h)
i.e. 21 g of drag at 30mph (to compare to several studies like "Tri bikes at the age of peak aero", ...)
i.e. I will get twice or three time this saving replacing my good old ultregra pulley wheels with a nice 16 or 17 teeth OSPW from Cycling Ceramic or Ceramic Speed or whoever,,, just for comparing.

Please note this is nearly the margin error in an aero test.

Please note also we do not know which yaw repartition for this result (to my (lack of) knowledge)

Remark 1 : how can a big brand with big R&D can arrive to such a small result, reworking completely the bike ?
My view is that it is coming from the negative impact of disk brakes on aero.
Disk brake have such shitty aero that reworking the rest of the bike with radical new solution barely compensate ?
I'm curious to see the results of future Cervelo P5 (or P3) Rim vs Disk aero drag, based on various yaw. It will give us some real comparison figures.

Remark 2 : disk brakes is a clear trend (forced, but real), so brands need (want) to go there. For aero bikes, such as Tri bikes, it is still to be proven it is a good point for users. And this point appear to be difficult to prove. This bike is an exemple. Releasing a new 10/14k€/USD bike with no aero gain (thanks to margin error) based on unknown (but certainly oriented) yaw, is certainly not what Specialized expected...
Their previous bike already not an aero rocket... this one possibly worse (with not favorable yaw) ?
These products managers are not in a good situation...

Remark 3 : I love disk brakes, when going downhill for hundreds or thousands of meters of D- in Pyrenees or Alps... Much safer, much stronger. Especially with rain. But probably in a flat tri it will bring me nothing. Except drag ?
I'm ready to go disk, for safety reasons in downhill, under rain, but given the price to change one road and one TT/Tri bike (one with basic/training wheel, the other with 55mm aero wheels, frequently swapped depending on usage), I guess I will wait 1, 2 or 3 years in order to let the offer stabilize, then go to mid price models (such as P3 Disk, S3 Disk, or Trek, Spe, Canyon, Argon... equivalent).
Probably no or little aero gain (compared to my existing P3 2014), but safer.

No doubt early adopters and less price-sensitive peoples will go sooner for these disk equipped babies. Aero gains are ... ahem.... not guaranteed ?

great first post

and better grammar than most of us English speakers !
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [mrlobber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mrlobber wrote:
Rocket_racing wrote:

The fork:

i would like to get a better look. The previously mentioned idea that the fork wings may help prep the air for the knees is an interesting one. If it did, the low yaw data with a rider might be impressive, even if the low yaw riderless data was medeocre.

Is there any serious manufacturer nowadays, who still tests bikes without a rider onboard?

The marketing departments will work with whatever numbers they can get their sticky hands on. Any good marketer worth his/her salt will find the situation that puts a bike in the best light, rider or not, weighted yaw angles or not.

I will give them some time, but what is most notable with the new ia, and to a lesser degree shiv, is actually the lack of marketig aero data. To me that says a lot.
Last edited by: Rocket_racing: Oct 10, 18 4:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rocket_racing wrote:

I will give them some time, but what is most notable with the new ia, and to a lesser degree shiv, is actually the lack of marketig aero data. To me that says a lot.

Does it really matter anymore? Peak aero is here and that’s ok! Integration and braking is the new focus instead of this crazy requirement that every bike be significantly faster than the old one. It just won’t happen anymore.

Let the OCD about drag data go and embrace integration and features.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Oct 10, 18 4:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rocket_racing wrote:

The marketing departments will work with whatever numbers they can get their sticky hands on. Any good marketer worth his/her salt will find the situation that puts a bike in the best light, rider or not, weighted yaw angles or not.

Completely agree, the "white paper" that Pinarello just put out on the bolide tr/tr+ was just a marketing pamphlet with no data at all.

Edit: to reply to Bryan above me, I feel this is more of a confirmation of this "age of peak aeroness" argument. But yes this does mean now features are more of an differentiating factor than before for high end consumers, at least currently.

Edit2: well shit, this is what happens when people reply close to the same time, now it just looks like im regurgitating
Last edited by: zinny: Oct 10, 18 4:40
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Attempting to refill that on the fly is going to induce a lot of crash replacements frames.

That's a problem in the making. People are going to crash trying refill that thing.

That's my one and only true critique of the bike. I'm all for out of the box thinking and I get some of the reasons why it was placed where it was placed. That stated, the bike is designed specifically for long course triathletes in mind with the storage and hydration part of the design and they put a refillable hydration cell behind the rider. That's baffling to me. It's incumbent on the rider to practice and do it or don't do it but we all know how that goes. Maybe refilling it is an easier process than it looks. That picture of Tim Don refilling it gives me nightmares about what's to come when someone not as adept and in control does that.

My guess is next to nobody uses it and refills it once they deplete whatever fluids they had to start with. 50 ounces would get me through about 75-90 minutes of an Ironman race depending on how warm. So about 1/4 to 1/5 of the bike.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Oct 10, 18 4:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rocket_racing wrote:

I think the lack of marketing aero data says exactly what we expect nowadays:
(Edit - because I agree with you. If the aero data was there, it would be marketed without question)

BryanD wrote:

Does it really matter anymore? Peak aero is here and that’s ok! Integration and braking is the new focus instead of this crazy requirement that every bike be significantly faster than the old one. It just won’t happen anymore.

Last edited by: JLars: Oct 10, 18 4:47
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Rocket_racing wrote:

Yes, it matter !

You are missing the big picture (on purpose ?).

We are talking Tri bike. Objective is faster time with same power, same position, same helmet, same wheels, same tyre... so, more aero.

If your objective is on aesthetic, or philosophy, we are not on the same discussion here.

1) Braking is important for road bike, for D-, but for flat tri ?
If I go disk on my Tri/TT bike, it is more because I want to be able to swap wheels with my road bike than any other reason.

2) Integration : my P3 give me enough capacity for integration. With aero efficiency. If I can suppress the aero pouch, it is estethically nicer. More aero ? No

3) Aero : if disk brakes are aero shit, I prefer to know it.

What is the point of a 14kUSD bike, if it bring nothing in performance ? Ego masturbation (which I also practice sometimes) ?

"We are at aero peak... stop looking at aero figures..."... blablabla...

Aero peak doesn't exist, each bike have different aero perf depending on configuration, wheels, yaw...
And if I'm to use my money to buy one, I want some clear view on aero perf.

I'm not simply going to buy the highest price, thinking "Ohh, that expensive... must be faaaast..."
Strangely, I will buy cheap and PROVEN fast.

I understand that some peoples by Tri bike on color, shape, aesthetic, high price, social status affirmation,whatever reasons ...but please don't say we do not need to look at aero perf. That is hilarious. Or biased ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you need to go read the Slowtwitch wind tunnel study

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
I think you need to go read the Slowtwitch wind tunnel study

I read a lot of aero studies, and perform a lot of them also.

Don't hesitate to supply me the link to this specific study, I will give you my feedback.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess the question is... what is “peak aero?”

- riders position.
- the bike.
- the rider and the bike as a system
- Now it is the rider, bike, and everything needed on actual race day (water/storage).

Marketing and comparing the details of the final stage in “peak aero” is tough. Most marketing wind tunnel data does not include hydration needs for the race. And based on the race, hydration needs change, and aero needs change, so like high vs low yaw angle, there is no easy answer... or easy marketing.

Do you compare the shiv to tt bike x in the wind tunnel with 1.5L water on board? Where do you put the 1.5L on bike x? Do those systems get to be aero? What if you now need 3l for a race? 1L? Who is fastest now? How do you market that?

Here is my opinion: if your new addition is disc brakes, or new integration: market that, and just reassure the aero weenies that there is no aero loss. Next gen, disc brakes are old news... so the marketing and design focus is again on aero and more integration. Need to sell bikes.
Last edited by: Rocket_racing: Oct 10, 18 6:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/Triathlon_Bikes_in_the_Age_of_Peak_Aero_6429.html

I read this study last year, when it came out.
And I mentionned it twice in my last few posts in this thread.
It confirm what I say. Aero test are important, because there is significant differences between bikes, configs...

You will notice that in this study, the difference between best performing bike and least performing bike is around 100g of drag, 5 time the difference announced by Spe between optimized old and optimized new Shiv.

The question is, where are the Shiv positioned amongst these rim bikes ?

From another study, with 0 yaw, old Shiv is probably in second half of this pack, and from Spe annoucement, new Shiv is probably middle of this pack, behind P5X, P5, and also probably P3 (again from another study).

To be confirmed, or not when serious aero figures will be published.
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [cowboy7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cowboy7 wrote:
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:

Hello

first post on Slowtwich for me. Sorry for the english, I'm french...

1 minute of aero gain over an Ironman : based on my beloved calculator, carefully calibrated through hours of ride on the track and road, 1mn over 180km around pro speed (40 km/h) equal : 2,1 w
i.e. 1,2 watt for me (around 33km/h)
i.e. 21 g of drag at 30mph (to compare to several studies like "Tri bikes at the age of peak aero", ...)
i.e. I will get twice or three time this saving replacing my good old ultregra pulley wheels with a nice 16 or 17 teeth OSPW from Cycling Ceramic or Ceramic Speed or whoever,,, just for comparing.

Please note this is nearly the margin error in an aero test.

Please note also we do not know which yaw repartition for this result (to my (lack of) knowledge)

Remark 1 : how can a big brand with big R&D can arrive to such a small result, reworking completely the bike ?
My view is that it is coming from the negative impact of disk brakes on aero.
Disk brake have such shitty aero that reworking the rest of the bike with radical new solution barely compensate ?
I'm curious to see the results of future Cervelo P5 (or P3) Rim vs Disk aero drag, based on various yaw. It will give us some real comparison figures.

Remark 2 : disk brakes is a clear trend (forced, but real), so brands need (want) to go there. For aero bikes, such as Tri bikes, it is still to be proven it is a good point for users. And this point appear to be difficult to prove. This bike is an exemple. Releasing a new 10/14k€/USD bike with no aero gain (thanks to margin error) based on unknown (but certainly oriented) yaw, is certainly not what Specialized expected...
Their previous bike already not an aero rocket... this one possibly worse (with not favorable yaw) ?
These products managers are not in a good situation...

Remark 3 : I love disk brakes, when going downhill for hundreds or thousands of meters of D- in Pyrenees or Alps... Much safer, much stronger. Especially with rain. But probably in a flat tri it will bring me nothing. Except drag ?
I'm ready to go disk, for safety reasons in downhill, under rain, but given the price to change one road and one TT/Tri bike (one with basic/training wheel, the other with 55mm aero wheels, frequently swapped depending on usage), I guess I will wait 1, 2 or 3 years in order to let the offer stabilize, then go to mid price models (such as P3 Disk, S3 Disk, or Trek, Spe, Canyon, Argon... equivalent).
Probably no or little aero gain (compared to my existing P3 2014), but safer.

No doubt early adopters and less price-sensitive peoples will go sooner for these disk equipped babies. Aero gains are ... ahem.... not guaranteed ?

great first post

and better grammar than most of us English speakers !

Perfectly put, really good post.

Si mon français était aussi bon que votre anglais, j'en parlerais à tout le monde!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Very simple : you take the aero figure for what you need.

if you do TT, use simply 1 aero bottle, and make comparaison as such.
If you do tri, and need 2 bottles + bento + repair, then take the aero figures with 2 bottles +....

Where do you put them ? where they have the least impact : integrated or hidden

Read the study mentionne above: interesting

And from this + other studies :
1 bottle behind the saddle : no aero impact
1 bottle behind the arms : no aero impact
Aero pouch : no impact
Bento behind stem : no impact

Each brand of course bias the info. To push own product. But there is some real comparaison you can find.
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dislike the bike

However, I dislike the perception that every tri is flat and thus there is no benefit in better braking (not breaking...). One of my favourites is Mallorca 70.3 where I took minutes out of folks on flashy top end TT bikes because my basic TT bike had better braking and because of that I had more confidence. If you can brake harder and later going into a corner you will go faster overall. I appreciate the drag argument but I do think being bale brake better and have more confidence on a tri bike is worth some development.
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [jayski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jayski wrote:
One of my favourites is Mallorca 70.3 where I took minutes out of folks on flashy top end TT bikes because my basic TT bike had better braking and because of that I had more confidence.

I'd bet that almost all of that was just you being more skilled, though. If the only differentiating factor was disc brakes you'd be taking seconds, not minutes.
Last edited by: trail: Oct 10, 18 6:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That picture of Tim Don refilling the bladder is quite possibly the dumbest thing I have ever seen.
Quote Reply
Re: S-WORKS SHIV DISC 2019 IS HERE [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
jayski wrote:
One of my favourites is Mallorca 70.3 where I took minutes out of folks on flashy top end TT bikes because my basic TT bike had better braking and because of that I had more confidence.

I'd bet that almost all of that was just you being more skilled, though. If the only differentiating factor was disc brakes you'd be taking seconds, not minutes.

^^^^
This.

In Mallorca roughly the first half of the bike is up and down (Coll de Femenia), then it is flat road for more or less 40k (We had rather strong crosswind this year). You kept your hard earned advantage maybe because your basic TT bike was more aero with rim brakes? :)

My point is, disc brakes might help even in TT /LD Tri, given that the course is not pancake flat, but aero is far more important... I am in the market for new TT and road bikes, and I know it will be rim brake for the TT (maybe for the last time) and disc for the road.

Sr. Salitre
Last edited by: SrSalitre: Oct 10, 18 6:55
Quote Reply

Prev Next