Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Runs on the Run
Quote | Reply
I am sure this has been covered before, so feel free to slap me and reply with the link...

But, as a MOP 140.6 athlete, I have experienced less than "ideal" marathons.

I adopted my nutrition plan from Trevor Wurtele, since it was easy to follow....perhaps that was my first mistake....I am not a pro athlete.

Here has been my race day plan:

Pre-Race
2 White Bagels with Strawberry Jelly
Sip EFS Sports Drink (Lemon Lime)
1 GU (Salted Caramel) 15 minutes before swim

T1
Salted Caramel GU

Bike
3 24oz bottles of EFS (4 scoops each) over bike duration (192 Calories/hour) - I have averaged 6 hour bike times
1 GU every hour
2 Salttabs every hour (I sweat like a pig)
2-4 bottles of water/hour - drink most, pour the rest over my body with remainder

T2
Just Water and 2 Salttabs

Run
1 Gu every 30 minutes (This lasts for about the first 1/3-1/2 of the marathon..then I can't physically take in any more GUs)
2 Salttabs at the top of every hour
Start taking in Pretzels and Water at every aid station after the first 1/3 of the marathon.

That's about it.

I have never experienced any GI pain or cramping, just frequent bathroom breaks which are less than relieving.

I have not experimented with solid foods in training, and I imagine that would help, but I was curious how others have altered their nutrition for long-course races.

For the record, my IMs were Cozumel (2014), Muskoka (2015), Los Cabos (2016)

Taking 2017 off from long-distance.

Thanks everyone.
Quote Reply
Re: Runs on the Run [Deacon Frost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's funny; I found Trevor Wurtele's plan a good place to start for myself, but only in terms of calories per hour since we're the same size.

My plan is below, but I'm guessing the salt is what is bothering you (key word is guess). My last ironman my then coach told me to carry salt capsules as a just-in-case. I gave a salt capsule to a friend of mine I encountered during the run, and he said it made him gassy.

EFS has a huge amount of salt in it, almost twice what Infinit has when comparing equal calorie servings.

Your EFS is giving you 600mg of salt per hour for 6 hours, you're getting another 430mg from your salt tabs (I'm assuming SaltStick caps), then another 125mg from your Gu. On the bike you're taking in 1355mg per hour for 6 hours, or over 8000mg. Maybe you need it, or maybe you're like me and your sweat isn't that salty and you're over-doing it.

Again, just a guess.

My plan;
My pre-race is whole-wheat pancakes with peanut butter, but I make them a couple days before and freeze them and toast them race morning for expediency. I was eating bagels pre-race, but found that I ended up burping bagel taste through the swim, no matter how early I ate the bagels.

Breakfast is early, like 3 hours pre-race. I will also have a strong cup of coffee to get my digestive system "cleaned out" prior to putting on my wetsuit, and I also use Osmo pre-load, the night before and again pre-race morning.

I will try to nibble on a protein bar pre-race, but usually find I'm not hungry.

On the bike I will take in 400 calories per hour, all liquid, all infinit. My first Ironman I tried Cliff bars and other solids, but found I had no desire to eat.

On the run I've also used infinit in the past, but am going to move to Roctane this year just to carry less weight.

Not sure any of that helps. As everyone says; it's so personal, and if it doesn't work you just try something else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you use this "EFS" shake/drink stuff during training? I haven't raced a 140 distance before but did a bunch of 70.3s laster year. I typically eat Cliff Bars and GU gells throughout the bike. My first guess here is that your body might not be ready to handle that much of this EFS stuff and it's indirectly telling you that by the bathroom breaks? If you haven't used it while training and want to keep that in the routine, I would make sure to start trying that out on long rides. Personally though, I'd just move to more real food since it's such a long day (even a 70.3 is pretty crazy long and I couldn't imagine being only on fluids). I've been sitting in the top 30-40% "of the pack" for most of the 70.3s raced last year to give some perspective on intensity. I too normally blow up by the run but not in the same way you mention - just lack of energy.
Quote Reply
Re: Runs on the Run [captain-tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You raise a great point. I have no idea of my sweat rate, or how much sodium replenishment I require.

8000mg seems like a lot (however, I have nothing to compare it to), and I was not aware of sodium causing the issues I am encountering.

I do not have a coach, but do know a sports physiology professor at the local university. I imagine there are books/articles regarding the topic.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Runs on the Run [daswafford] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I use EFS regularly in training. Like Capitan has suggested, perhaps I am overloading by on the sodium intake and it is affecting my stomach.

Thanks for the input.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in the process of going back through and listening to TrainerRoad podcasts, and in podcast 51 around the 49 minute mark they talk about the factors affecting how much salt people loose, both in terms of quantity of sweat and density of salt in that sweat. Was listening to it and thought you might find it interesting.
Quote Reply