Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Running shoes for the major underpronator
Quote | Reply
So it's winter running season, and both my current pairs of shoes are starting to go, so I need to get a new pair or two. I massively underpronate when I run, and any shoe that even gives a hint of stability or motion control leaves me with that fun 'running on the outside edges of my feet' sensation. Even a lot of shoes that claim they're designed for the neutral to underpronating runner leave me with slopey feet because of stealth stability construction. What I've had the best luck with are pretty cushioned, and cut generously (but not excessively) in the toe box. Must come in women's size 9.5 or comprable men's size. I'm not a light runner, but I've actually had better luck with shoes designed for the tiny person- I'm okay with only getting about 2/3rds to 3/4ers of the miles I'm supposed to get from them because while they last, they're a much better ride for me.

The current pair I absolutely love are lightweight Nike Air Zoom somethingorothers that I picked up at the outlet mall on clearance last spring, and don't seem to have been in production since 2002, or I would have just gotten a couple more pairs of those.

Any suggestions from y'all? The nearest real running store to me is an hour and a half drive one way, and seems to only be open during hours when I'm at work.
Quote Reply
Re: Running shoes for the major underpronator [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the same problem as you. I currently wear Asics Gel Landerth II and Asics Speedstars. Speedstars are great (very light weight). I would lvoe to where them for all my running, but then I would need a new pair like every 6 weeks. My current Landreth's are up to 350 miles and are still good. I do wear them more to the outside, but not so much so that the outsides are worn totally down before the rest of the sole
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the same problem. So bad over the years that my gait has evolved to where my toes point at 10 and 2-oclock when I run, just so I don't get that falling off the outside of the shoe feeling. But you can imagine the combination of being duck-toed and underpronating has done to my knees. Arrrgh! Just got fitted for orthotics a few days ago. I will post after I have been on them a while.

If your biomechanical situation is as extreme as mine, shoes may not be the answer. My arches are extremely high. In fact the only part of my foot that touches the ground is the ball and the heel -- no outside edge. Anyway my thought was that a little money spent on durable custom footbeds and I'll have more flexibility in shoes and can transfer the footbeds from one shoe to another.
Quote Reply
Re: Running shoes for the major underpronator [yelana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I heard the Cummulis VII (sp??) would also be a good choice for us Supanators. Has anyone tried these shoes?
Quote Reply
Re: Running shoes for the major underpronator [rover] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I havn't used the cummulis, but they are simular to the Landreth (just heavier), so they should be good as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've liked the Brooks T4 (formerly T3) for a couple years now. Very nuetral midsole. The heel looks a little high when you first get them, but the blown rubber insole compresses down after a few runs and the shoe firms up nicely.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How could I resist.

Try the new model Vitruvians--the Harmony. His sizing is a little different. I suggest you email Chuck to check on that. $60, shipping included, if I remember correctly. The front of the soes is very flexible. You'll just roll off your toe.

vitruvianrunning.com

I have nothing to do with Vitruvian, except use their shoes.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Asics cumulus, skip the Landreth as it's IGS system in the heel may allow you to roll to far out.

Asics Fortitude, I'd say Cumulus first then try the Fortitude, it runs almost a size small btw

Brooks Dyan, wide base, zero stability features, downside is it's straight last and low arch, otherwise it's really really nice, possibly add a cushioned arch insert

Saucony Shadow 9, wide toe box, no stability features, relatively flat heel

Saucony Triumph 2, stiff forefoot built for heavier runners but meets all other criteria

Nike Pegasus, soft, cushy, no stability features

Mizuno Wave Rider

Adidas Supernova Cushion
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the same problem, the Brooks Dyad has worked well, but a bit big and bulky. I also needed to change the insoles for more arch support since the are neutral with low arch type of shoe.

I just orders a pair of Brooks Burn 2 which is made for the onder pronator, I can drop you an email next week on initial impressions if you like.

One of my main problems was the narrow base on the shoes would cause my forefoot to land ouside the padded edge of the shoes.

Tai has mentioned some good shoue as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a major supinator and not a "light" runner either. I wear Mizunos, wave creation or wave rider. Love them. I find Wave Riders to have a larger toe box.

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oooh that Brooks Burn was a good reccomendation for a light shoe although it's not the roomiest toe box. The Mizuno Creation is really nice as well
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few options........

Asics Nimbus/Cumulus.......the Cumulus is the mid-range neutral shoe, both have a fairly high arch

Mizuno Creation/Wave Rider........Creation seems a bit roomier in the toe box, but Mizuno can run narrow

Brooks Glycerin/Radius...........just ordered me a pair or Glycerins, I was surprised how good these felt

Nike Air Moto/Pegasus..........like running on marshmallows

Saucony Triumph/Trigon Ride...........lower arch, narrow heel, wide forefoot

Get yourself to a good running store that does shoe fittings based on real biomechanical analysis, not just putting you on the treadmill, and find which one/s work for you.

G

It's a little like wrestling a gorilla.........you don't stop when you're tired.........you stop when the gorilla is tired.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a severe underpronator as well. I just bought the asics Cumulus and still have problems. The actual shoe material is very stretchy and I weigh right at 210lbs. First thing I noticed is that you can get away with wearing a size smaller with these shoes as they seem to run big. They do work for me but I only have about 60 miles on them so far. Best shoes i ever purchased were some New Balance. Nice roomy toe box and beefed up outer sole for the forefoot. Not sure of the technical terms and the actual show material was not as strectchy. Had them for almost a year without replacing them and cannot find them anywhere.

"These aren't Love Handles, I just have Big Kidneys!"
Quote Reply
Re: Running shoes for the major underpronator [gleveq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the suggestions y'all!

I've now got a nice list of shoes to looks for an try on. Will probably start withe the Nikes and Sauconys since I know where I can find them around here, and then work from there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have used NB 833 successfully for several years. Ultra-lightweight trainer/racer. Only problem is I wear them down in only 250 miles, but then again, I run a fair amount. They do allegedly have a stability post in them, but I sure can't tell.

Also, if you haven't tried the Shoe Dog at roadrunnersports.com, give it a whirl.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome to my world....I believe there are more supinators out there than reported (they say 10% or less), a recent study on ITBS indicates that supination was more of a culprit for ITBS than overpronation, by the way.

I wish there was a shoe which provided as much lateral support to make your feet pronate more back to the inner arch as there the others, which force the feet to roll out to the outside, away from pronation. What's wrong with pronation? NOTHING! It absorbs impact.

I actually WANT TO PRONATE and try to make a conscious effort to pronate when I run, by trying to roll my feet inward on ground impact. I'm not an expert but my guess would be, for a supinator, an orthotic would pad the outside of the foot and tilt the foot back toward the inside.

I don't buy into the best shoe for us is a shoe which is curved and should have little to no support. If your feet aren't rolling to the inside, THEY AREN'T MAGICALLY going to all of the sudden start to pronate in a lighter shoe: I think that if you supinate, you are going to continue to genetically supinate in a Nike Free or in an Asics Nimbus, or in any running shoe! If they ain't rolling to the inside, anyway, why take the pounding in a light shoe?

THe goal then must be to just minimize impact in a highly cushioned shoe or buy an orthotic. The best shoes for me, have only been three kinds: 1. Asics Nimbus, 2. Saucony Trigon Ride, and 3. Addidas Supernova Cushion.
Quote Reply
Re: Running shoes for the major underpronator [boothrand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello,

Just curious. I've heard that true supinators are actually very rare. Much less than 10%. Are you saying that when you look at the bottoms of your old running shoes that you wear down the inside (towards the body centerline) of the heal? Just curious because I couldn't land my feet like that if I tried. (Not doubting you just curious).

Styrrell

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: Running shoes for the major underpronator [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Outside of the heel, the supinator wear is a wear running on the outside of the shoe, all the way to the outside front of the shoe. If you laid down my shoes on a surface, they actually tilt to the outside, from wear.

Just looking at the soles of the shoe. Tells me my foot isnt' coming back to the arch on impact. I'm not a podiatrist but my guess is, to fix my problem, a severe under pronator, an orthotic would push the foot more towards the inside, toward the arch. I would suspect some kind of padding placed on the lateral side of the foot to make it roll back to the inside.

I don't know...my guess.
Quote Reply
Re: Running shoes for the major underpronator [boothrand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, many runners have said the 10% thing for us supinators, funny thing that of the maybe 10-15 triathletes I train with off and on 5 of them are supinators.

As for the ITBS I can second that personally, it wiped out the first 4 months of this year for me.

I was told not to pick shoes with the grey cushion to the inside of the shoe because it is firmer and there to help control pronation which is not my problem.

I agree in that the only way I will ever have a chance to pronate is if I were to break my ankles and re-align them, as it is if I grab my heel it will not move to either side.
Quote Reply