Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Running in compression shorts?
Quote | Reply
I keep getting rashes on my long runs from my run shorts... Are compression shorts a better alternative?
How much warmer are they? (I live in FL, it's hot)
Who makes good ones?
Do you free-ball underneath?

Thx
Quote Reply
Re: Running in compression shorts? [slow123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I run exclusively in compression shorts. They aren't any noticeably hotter than other shorts. I'm a big fan of Zoot shorts. Yes to free-balling. I do use body glide for the really long stuff though. I don't think any short will completely save you from that on a 20+ mile run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buy a stick of womens antiperspirant like secrete or something and give your inner thighs and what not a swipe and you'll be set.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why the hell would you wear something under compression shorts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes.
Not much.
Pearl Izumi.
I'm so glad I don't have dangly bits.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
During the winter months I run in tri shorts (De Soto Riviera's) under my tights, never had a problem with chaffing.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bodyglide or trislide both work pretty well for me in both compression and regular shorts. Personally, I like the running ones with the compression shorts built in (nike & saucony both make some good ones as do a few other brands). No issue with heat on those, both the short & compression parts are pretty light. No matter what short I wear though, once the mileage gets up above 15 or so, I usually need bodyglide or trislide to avoid any chafing, especially when its hotter & I sweat more
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any run up to one hour and I'm okay in running shorts. Any run over one hour and it's tri shorts. Use Body Glide all the time.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Baby powder or Tinactin powder if you are getting rashes. Need to keep your junk dry ;)

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Running in compression shorts? [blackthugcat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blackthugcat wrote:
Yes.
Not much.
Pearl Izumi.
I'm so glad I don't have dangly bits.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anything under about an hour I'm fine. Over that I wear compression shorts with nothing underneath. For races I wear tighter boxer briefs and compression shorts b/c I can't think of anything worse than to be running hard and having discomfort in my junk.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
-I wear them with running shorts over the top (i wear more undergarment than tri-short ones...or lack confidence), and cut out the brief liners from my running shorts.
-They aren't much hotter, and there are some that have are more mesh-like in certain areas to aid in airflow
-I like Nike pro combat, but am sure they are almost identical to under armour and many other brands
-Yes. I do not wear anything underneath, and they keep things in place. For longer runs I swipe bodyglide first.

As someone else noted, you may try shorts with built-in compression liner, I have a few pair of Nike shorts like this that work pretty well also but a little less "compression"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also cut out the brief liners from my running shorts and wear under armour boxer briefs for support. I don't have enough pairs of tri shorts to wear them for biking and running or I'd be doing laundry everyday.
Quote Reply
Re: Running in compression shorts? [ilikepizza] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ilikepizza wrote:
-I wear them with running shorts over the top (i wear more undergarment than tri-short ones...or lack confidence), and cut out the brief liners from my running shorts.
-They aren't much hotter, and there are some that have are more mesh-like in certain areas to aid in airflow
-I like Nike pro combat, but am sure they are almost identical to under armour and many other brands
-Yes. I do not wear anything underneath, and they keep things in place. For longer runs I swipe bodyglide first.

As someone else noted, you may try shorts with built-in compression liner, I have a few pair of Nike shorts like this that work pretty well also but a little less "compression"

I throw running short over the top as well. Out in the country where I live there are enough people yelling, "Fag" at me when I am just running. Doing it with just compression shorts seems like poking the crazy with a stick.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slow123 wrote:
I keep getting rashes on my long runs from my run shorts... Are compression shorts a better alternative?

How much warmer are they? (I live in FL, it's hot)
Who makes good ones?
Do you free-ball underneath?

Thx

http://www.saucony.com/en/throttle-short/12001M.html?dwvar_12001M_color=80841-BKBK#cgid=mens-apparel-bottoms&start=1

For the shorts with the banana hammock I cut that liner out and wear either Nike or Under Armour boxer briefs under the modified short. Brooks has a pair with the build in BB but the one on the Saucony is nicer.
Quote Reply
Re: Running in compression shorts? [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rbuike wrote:
Baby powder or Tinactin powder if you are getting rashes. Need to keep your junk dry ;)

Was this meant to be in pink? Or was the advice intended for when not working out?

-Andrew
Quote Reply
Re: Running in compression shorts? [AMT04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AMT04 wrote:
rbuike wrote:

Was this meant to be in pink? Or was the advice intended for when not working out?

Nope. Both, works for anit-chafing before, during and after :)

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply