Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Running Form -- Critique Welcomed
Quote | Reply
Video of run form.

I've paid a lot of attention to my swim and bike form...so naturally it's time to look at my run. This is at my goal 70.3 pace (8.5 mph) and I took the video after a 5 mile run and long swim, so I think this is pretty close to how I'll look coming off the bike.

Fire away!
Last edited by: TriowaCPA: May 12, 17 7:56
Quote Reply
Re: Running Form -- Critique Welcomed [TriowaCPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your posture is pretty good, which is uncommon. You have a very slight left-right asymmetry. You heel strike a little more on the left than the right and I suspect that you pronate a little more on the left. Hard to tell from this video. I find a rear view to be more enlightening because it shows lateral motion (hip especially) and you can pick up left-right asymmetries by watching arm swing, hip drop and foot progression angle. Post something with a rear view. Watch the video you posted at .25 speed and you'll see what I mean by the left foot heel striking more.

Simplify, Train, Live
Quote Reply
Re: Running Form -- Critique Welcomed [TriowaCPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
General form/technique is good- wouldn't worry at all about differences in L/R symmetry, because those are inherent in running.

Gait (variables such as step rate), kinematics (variables such as knee angle), and kinetics (variables such as GRF) all have a "range" of acceptable values, and from a gait and 2D kinematic, you don't really have a glaring need to worry about. As mentioned, a lower leg posterior view can assist with the structure and function of your foot and shoe relationship, but given the short clip and single speed of the video if that is your initial footstrike pattern, your foot and shoe function are probably pretty good (not a knock on what you did- the majority of folks who look at an isolated picture or video at one speed are seeing maybe a small fraction of the injury risk potential or performance). Absent of continuous running metrics (such as an accelerometer) or variables over a range of speeds below and above your race pace, making a judgement off of a short video is more an analysis of style rather than technique.

From a coaching aspect (after picking apart the video in software platform- so this is said more of the art vs. the science), would say that your stance and swing phase reversal is a little off (purely subjective- but after doing hundreds of these...)...would probably say to include one or more days a week of steep incline hill reps that are about 10-20m in length as a part of your cooldown. It needs to be steep (think 12-15% on a TM...but these are always better outside so you can easily do an active recovery). Focus on hip/knee drive and ignore your foot altogether...if you try and focus on a "powerful push off" you've already defeated the purpose of the repeats. Walk the downhill. Each rep should only take a few seconds, and 4-6x is good.

Good luck in your race!

http://www.reathcon.com
Quote Reply