Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Runner Castillo Killed In Miami, Memorial Ride 11/20/05
Quote | Reply
For those that desire to attend the Robert Castillo Memorial Ride is on Sunday 11/20/05 at 8:00 am leaving from the Country Walk Publix on Coral Reef Drive 152 st and SW 137 avenue.

All donations will go to the family.

This is the article that appeared in the Sun-Sentinel:

Runner Castillo killed

Posted November 3 2005

Lost in the chaos of Hurricane Wilma was the tragic death of Roberto Castillo.

The runner and cyclist from
Miami was struck by a motorist on Oct. 23 while waiting for a group of riders for a training ride in the Redlands. He was 48.

His memorial was Sunday, his funeral Tuesday. Many of his friends were without power and unaware of his death.

Castillo was a fixture on the
South Florida racing scene for 20 years. He was a masters national track and field champion and masters cyclist. He placed in the top five three times at the World Masters Track and Field Championships.

Friends remember his pleasant demeanor, friendly smile and humility that put people at ease.

"He was a wonderful man," said Brian Keno of
Fort Lauderdale, a friend and former competitor. "I just saw him last month at Rosewood [Bike Races] and he started explaining to me how to race criteriums when he found out I was getting into biking.

"We would duel it out in the road races many times. He gave me hope as an older guy that you can win against any age. He beat people half his age. I remember racing him neck-and-neck at Calle Ocho five years ago. He just wouldn't give up and beat me in the last half mile with his amazing miler's speed."

Added brother Bruce Keno of
Hollywood: "This is such a big loss to the running and cycling community. He touched thousands of people and was so well-respected.

"I believe Roberto was a hurricane casualty. He was such a competitor that even a hurricane couldn't stop his fierce training regimen. I caution all cyclists to ride the stationary bike until things get back to normal."

Castillo's son, Robert, a junior sports management major at
Florida International University, followed in his father's footsteps and is a middle distance runner.

In addition to Robert, Castillo is survived by wife Diana and daughter Diana, 15.

Quote Reply
Re: Runner Castillo Killed In Miami, Memorial Ride 11/20/05 [Saltamontes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another tragedy on the roads.

What were the details of the accident? It mentions that he was struck by a car whilst waiting for the group. I hope the driver was sutiably dealt with.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply